Sign in to follow this  
emilypants

Student Reel (About to graduate, any thoughts would be appreciated!)

Hey there mograph!

I'm about to graduate next month. I'd really appreciate if you can give me feedback, I posted a reel awhile ago but have since put in my senior work and thanks to those who replied last time I edited a lot of filler out.

Thanks so much for your help! As getting a job seems impossible about now, please be nit-picky. I really want to just improve my work and skill set.

http://www.emilyskaer.com/Site/Reel/Reel.html

Check out easy ease for your keyframes. All the camera moves just stopped and it was a little jarring. Easy Ease will make all the movement more organic and a little more natural, that is unless your going for that sort of movement. I really dug your illustrations and the hand drawn animations. Well done.

Nick Campbell has some good tutorials that go over the different keyframe interpolation setting on his site.

GREYSCALEGORILLA giude to keyframes

and

GREYSCALEGORILLA How to fix Wobbly Keyframes

Edited by ianfreeze

Hmmm...not sure why the site is down. Do you think those who couldn't pull it up could try again?

It's worked for me but if it isn't working on others' computers that's troublesome.

Thanks for the input on the easyease frames...I've been using them but perhaps I need to make my changes more drastic under the graph editor.

I really appreciate you guys looking over it, if anyone has more input the more the better. I really need people to tell me what needs improvement. I live in Michigan, so the few jobs we do have have 10x the normal amount applying for them.

you guys are awesome keep up the tips!

It's not a bad student reel. You show a variety of techniques and approaches without getting too artsy with it.

With regards to the keyframes; everything does have sort of a jerky feel so I'm glad you're looking into the graph editor a bit. It's not so much a matter of making the easing more extreme or obvious (some places maybe) but it's really more about figuring out when it's appropriate to ease extremely or to let something feel sudden. If everything is smooth then nothing is smooth.

As an example a marble will come to a stop or accelerate much more suddenly than a bowling ball.

It's not a bad student reel. You show a variety of techniques and approaches without getting too artsy with it.

With regards to the keyframes; everything does have sort of a jerky feel so I'm glad you're looking into the graph editor a bit. It's not so much a matter of making the easing more extreme or obvious (some places maybe) but it's really more about figuring out when it's appropriate to ease extremely or to let something feel sudden. If everything is smooth then nothing is smooth.

As an example a marble will come to a stop or accelerate much more suddenly than a bowling ball.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit confused, would you say the shots need more contrast in their movements?

I appreciate you giving my work a look! Thanks again!

My more recent work is seen under "motion graphics"...they're the first three thumbnails. I think i've gotten a bit better with the graph editor. Still, it's a week spot for me.

(**also, if anyone does look at these I've checked them on most browsers and they worked fine, but recently I went into a job interview and they didn't work on the interview-er's computer! The sound didn't work. I'm not sure how to fix it, I use dreamhost and haven't heard any problems with them, but if anyone else looks at these & miss sound I'd appreciate the notification!!**)

Again, thanks for the comments! Keep 'em coming!

yea i get no sound on the 3 PSAs, but the ann arbor one works fine... i'd list what your audio compression settings are, and maybe someone could figure it out...

i use ACC, 44.1khz, mono, 128kbps. and thats with an h.264 compression for web videos

(**also, if anyone does look at these I've checked them on most browsers and they worked fine, but recently I went into a job interview and they didn't work on the interview-er's computer! The sound didn't work. I'm not sure how to fix it, I use dreamhost and haven't heard any problems with them, but if anyone else looks at these & miss sound I'd appreciate the notification!!**)

Sound isn't working for me on the reel and the 3 PSAs under Windows XP and the latest version of QT. The first time I tried to play it in XP, I got a dialog about a missing QT component.

Sound works fine on them under OS X 10.5.6 on my MBP.

It looks like you used "MPEG 4 Low Delay AAC" for the audio - as phil said, I'd suggest recompressing with just plain old AAC. You seem to have come across a platform inconsistency (shocking, I know) with QT:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/quicktime-...g/msg00215.html

The title of your reel and design pages are also "Untitled Document" - might want to change those.

Hope this helps.

To be a little more specific;

It seems like many of the moves, both camera and object, follow the pattern of smoothing in somewhat but then coming to a dead stop which seems a bit unnatural in many shots. You may want to experiment with leaving a little bit of lingering motion on things to keep the some life in the scene. Just an example.

As to the contrasting keyframe methods; I was just emphasizing the value of variety and contrast, where it's appropriate of course. Not everything needs to be silky smooth in a shot, different objects behave differently.

Sound isn't working for me on the reel and the 3 PSAs under Windows XP and the latest version of QT. The first time I tried to play it in XP, I got a dialog about a missing QT component.

Sound works fine on them under OS X 10.5.6 on my MBP.

The title of your reel and design pages are also "Untitled Document" - might want to change those.

Thanks for looking into this and helping me out. I (think) i fixed the problem. Really appreciate your help! And for looking up the page that talks about the problems with the compression. You're so helpful, thank you so much!

You guys are all so wonderful, this is all stuff I wouldn't of picked up on without your help. You guys rock!!!

To be a little more specific;

It seems like many of the moves, both camera and object, follow the pattern of smoothing in somewhat but then coming to a dead stop which seems a bit unnatural in many shots. You may want to experiment with leaving a little bit of lingering motion on things to keep the some life in the scene. Just an example.

Ok, I see what you mean about the lingering. Thanks for the clarification, I'll try that out!

Guest wenzi110

The big older Pontiac sped along eating up mile upon mile of highway. The driver slouched indolently behind the wheel, his left elbow resting comfortably on the car window fingers steadying the wheel but not gripping it, tapping in time to the classic rock on the radio. His right hand gripped the wheel at almost the top, but even that grip was relaxed, almost lazy. His rich hazel eyes were hidden behind aviator style sunglasses. He had a strong chin with a neatly trimmed goatee which matched his equally neatly trimmed short black hair.

wow gold

The highway he was on stretched the length of the country, The Trans-Canada Highway, and he was driving west from the prairies towards the West Coast. The Rocky Mountains stretched before him, running north to south, like an impenetrable barrier. But Evan Kirby knew better; the highway found its winding way through mountain passes across the continental divide over several ranges ending in the Pacific Coastal Range and the sea. There by the sea, on the great Fraser River Delta which two million or more souls called Home, lay Vancouver: a port city, a crossroads of the world. But the draw there for Evan was the rich and bountiful entertainment industry. Evan Kirby was a guitar player. He had played with an assortment of bands in prairie towns and cities but, drawn to classic rock and the new innovative sounds coming out of some of the west coast studios, had decided to try his luck in Vancouver. After all, he had reasoned, the weather's warmer there too.

The car was a cluttered mess and a Marshall amplifier took up more than half of the back seat. Some fast food bags and beverage cups littered the floor. On the seat beside him was a Calgary newspaper, a copy of Guitarplayer Magazine and a couple of CD's. As the car cruised further into the mountains the Calgary radio station he had been listening to started to crackle and break up. Evan steadied the wheel with a couple of fingers only and loaded a CD into the player. The car was filled with the sound of Led Zepplin as he cruised through the Banff National Park Gates.

wow gold

Just west of the Banff townsite there were a couple of hitchhikers along the road. The first two were a grubby looking pair of men which Evan barely looked at. But his eyes were drawn to the slim girlish figure standing alone clutching a small pack to her side almost as though it were a teddy bear. The wind was blowing her long straight blonde hair wildly from beneath her hat, a crocheted close-fitting soft turquoise cap. She wore a pair of flared, faded and somewhat tattered blue jeans and a shirt that was a tight fitting long sleeved soft knit fabric in a darker turquoise than her hat with a dragon boldly painted across the front. Evan whistled under his breath as he pulled over to pick her up. 'Geez, she's just a kid.' he thought, 'They just get younger.'