Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pencewd

Current Demo Reel & WebSite

Guest Pencewd

I am looking for employment in post production and motion graphics. I am currently finishing up my second Bachelor of Fine Art at Virginia Commonwealth University in Kinetic Imaging. I have a great knowledge of software packages such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suit, Autodesk Maya, 3D Studio Max and Mudbox. I am a software junkie, constantly learning new software and new methods within these programs.

Demo Reel

http://themumblemagnificent.com/demoreel.html

Web Site

http://themumblemagnificent.com

Resume

http://themumblemagnificent.com/bio.htm

My Tubes

http://themumblemagnificent.com/mytube.html

William Pence

To be perfectly honest I found your reel to be a bit confusing. I really could not imagine what the concept or brief was behind any of the pieces. It's fine to have personal project in your reel, especially coming out of school, but they still need to be pieces that demonstrate a clear purpose and how you went about achieving that goal visually. Know software is fine, but I think your time would better be spent really taking a close look at where your design skils are and where they can be. At the end of the day software will change constantly but good design, storytelling, and and concept will keep your skills in demand.

Always make sure to be asking yourself 'why'. If your answer is ever just 'because it's cool' or because it shows off a certain function in a software package then it may be a good experiment but not necessarily a great sample to present to a potential employer.

Could you give us a NSFW warning next time? I'm reading this at the office...

Methinks you should cut it much shorter/faster. Punch it up. If a potential client watches only the first 15 seconds, what would you want them to see? If I were you, I'd collapse the whole thing down to 30 seconds or less.

Guest Pencewd
To be perfectly honest I found your reel to be a bit confusing. I really could not imagine what the concept or brief was behind any of the pieces. It's fine to have personal project in your reel, especially coming out of school, but they still need to be pieces that demonstrate a clear purpose and how you went about achieving that goal visually. Know software is fine, but I think your time would better be spent really taking a close look at where your design skils are and where they can be. At the end of the day software will change constantly but good design, storytelling, and and concept will keep your skills in demand.

Always make sure to be asking yourself 'why'. If your answer is ever just 'because it's cool' or because it shows off a certain function in a software package then it may be a good experiment but not necessarily a great sample to present to a potential employer.

All pieces in the reel besides the skulls falling, and some after effects stuff are all conceptual pieces. You can see them on there own off my site here.

I'm gonna be really harsh here and say that using Justice for your mograph reel screams of uncreativity and unoriginality. Its a surefire way to be forgettable. I know their tracks have lots of fun stuff to edit to, but c'mon...

All pieces in the reel besides the skulls falling, and some after effects stuff are all conceptual pieces. You can see them on there own off my site here.

My confusion wasn't so much over what the pieces were. It was pretty clear that they were personal projects and highly abstract in nature. The confusion I was alluding to was in regards to the why. I tried to watch some of the "conceptual" pieces on their own. To be blunt I gained nothing new by doing so. I don't really understand what the concept was/is and they end up looking like grungy graphics treatments for graphics treatment's sake. Highly personal and conceptual work is not, on its own, a bad thing but just understand that when you're looking for a job in the industry clarity of purpose, message, and communication are HIGHLY valued and esoteric high-concept is really not what you'd be expected to do day to day. This is the crux of what I was driving at above.

When looking for a job in the industry, you need to abandon the abstract roots. Art is art, and commercial pieces need clear communication.

It may not be your favorite works that make good pieces on a commercial reel. In your shoes I would do some spec projects to show variety..

Guest Pencewd
When looking for a job in the industry, you need to abandon the abstract roots. Art is art, and commercial pieces need clear communication.

It may not be your favorite works that make good pieces on a commercial reel. In your shoes I would do some spec projects to show variety..

The program I come from is more fine art based and not commercial at all. I guess I just need to make some pieces that if you fast forward television and it through up everywhere.

The program I come from is more fine art based and not commercial at all. I guess I just need to make some pieces that if you fast forward television and it through up everywhere.

People are just trying to tell you that what we do is graphic design, not art. Designers have to be problem solvers. Your pieces don't necessarily need to be commercial pieces or spec pieces, but they need to showcase your ability to 'go through the process' to solve a design problem. Don't take it personally, we are just trying to let you know what you can do to make yourself more desirable as an employee in this industry. If you want to check out a great student reel that isn't very commercial, I suggest the work of Yaniv Fridman

I guess I just need to make some pieces that if you fast forward television and it through up everywhere.

I don't know what that means, but I'm pretty sure that's not exactly what anyone was advising.

Im not sure I "get it" either. You need some more "commercial" looking work in there. I was friends with a bunch of BFA guys in school. 2 of them work at starbucks now...and the other is living off his trust fund.

Check out motionographer, the people who get their work posted are extremely talented, and they all make commercial work.

Cut that reel down a bit, and the opening is super slow. A client is going to turn that thing off within the first few seconds if there isnt anything to grab onto.

yea video art is great and everything.... but it has no place in design... sure experimenting and trying to progress the visual media is great... but should not be exhibited in a reel.

I do agree with what people are saying that most of the elements in your projects are there only to "look cool" or appeal to some high brow post-modern concept of "exploring the imperialistic social norms and expectations of the marginalized lower class within the bounds of the American capitalist corprotocracy" or something...

I applaud you for trying new and different things but... save it for an art portfolio not a design reel....

If you want to check out a great student reel that isn't very commercial, I suggest the work of Yaniv Fridman

wow. this is a great reel - I somehow missed this one. As for this thread; i agree with what everyone is saying. You need to lay off the "art" if you actually want to land some gigs that will pay you decent money. You need to focus on good design, communication and making your compositions well thought out and pleasant to look at.

even forearmed with the knowledge that what I was about to see was essentially going to be pretty colours, that was..difficult.

wait, wait. SECOND degree?? that's 6 years at uni!

I applaud you for not having 20 VCP.net tutorial pieces there, but come on. it's very slow, very pointless and there's nothing in there that says you understand the motion graphics and vfx industry. where's your examples of your FCP, adobe CS and maya expertise? to me, your reel says:

"I don't know what I did for three years, and I don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life."

Surely you must have better work there? even some animated examples from your sketchbook?

and not to put too much criticism in there, but your site is not accessible (bloody tables!!) and it badly needs an overhaul.

Sorry about the bile but i couldn't contain it.

Guest Pencewd
even forearmed with the knowledge that what I was about to see was essentially going to be pretty colours, that was..difficult.

wait, wait. SECOND degree?? that's 6 years at uni!

I applaud you for not having 20 VCP.net tutorial pieces there, but come on. it's very slow, very pointless and there's nothing in there that says you understand the motion graphics and vfx industry. where's your examples of your FCP, adobe CS and maya expertise? to me, your reel says:

"I don't know what I did for three years, and I don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life."

Surely you must have better work there? even some animated examples from your sketchbook?

and not to put too much criticism in there, but your site is not accessible (bloody tables!!) and it badly needs an overhaul.

Sorry about the bile but i couldn't contain it.

I guess i posted my reel in the wrong place. Seems that everyone on this forum is an asshole.

I guess i posted my reel in the wrong place. Seems that everyone on this forum is an asshole.

Probably shouldn't even bother replying to such a comment...

But here it goes.

There were some really raw opinions put forward about your work in this thread, but there has also been a LOT of valid and constructive criticism in addition to good general advice. People, myself included, genuinely took the time to give your work a chance and try to help you further your interest in "looking for employment in post production and motion graphics."

It's fine if you momentarily feel stung by criticism, but by the time you're pursuing your second degree you should really be able to get over it and take the advice given.

I tried to be very constructive in my comments but what you just said makes me think that you really did not deserve my time and I will not waste any more time in the future on your work. Way to alienate a fantastic resource like Mograph.net

Good riddance with that kind of attitude.

You posted your reel in the *right* place if what you want to do is find help getting "employment in post production and motion graphics." All we can do is express our opinions about your work. We're not here to pat your back. If that's what you're looking for, the then this is definitely the "wrong forum."

I also applaud the fact that your reel isn't full of tutorial stuff, but you need to show some sense of communication, storytelling and sequence, since that is essentially what we are all doing in this industry.

Calling everyone an "asshole" here is a sign that you're young, and possibly difficult to work with – and I can tell you that a lot of places will hire based more on personality than talent.

Anyway, I wish you luck, regardless of your comment.

Hey there. As a soon-to-be graduate myself, I can totally understand your frustration. I also went to a school much more "art-sy" concentrated. Nobody did commercial work. But I also realized (fortunately) early on that those people aren't going to get much work.

What I can say you have going for you is you have a great handling of colors. I'm a big fan of bold, pop-y colors (although my work doesn't always reflect this!), you should totally check out some Brazillian post houses if that's your thing. They're very talented, those damn Brazillians, and I could see how looking at their work can give you a better sense of how to make yourself more commercial-oriented than "art for arts-sake" based.

Don't take the criticism too harshly. Perhaps some people could've been a bit more tactful, but hey it's the internet. This is the best place for brutal honesty. And if more than one person is telling you something doesn't quite work, then really critique it yourself. You just have to have thick skin. Mograph is absolutely wonderful for that type of thing. And while I can't say what your program was like, mine was very frilly & nice and harsh, truthful criticism that bettered your work was hard to come by like you can get at a forum like this one. Embrace it, it'll help you in the long run.

Perhaps experimenting more would work. Check out the design challenges greyscalegorilla.com offers every week, that should be a good jump start to getting your design challenges met more. Hang in there, it's a tough world and getting a job nowadays seems near impossible so take those critiques and work with them, don't let them discourage you! :)

Hey,

First off, one thing i can tell you is that you should NEVER take critism to heart,

i mean i learned (and ive been in the industry for only a year) that its a cutthroat one.)

Work is work, its never anything personal.

Take in the advice from other artists and learn from it.

On a side note,

i watched your real and honestly,

Despite its "abstractness", it was ok.

I got nothing bad to say about it.

So with that, chill out.

No one here means any harm.