Sign in to follow this  
Guest govinda

Current state of motion graphics (was EXOPOLIS)

Guest igorschmigor

renascent: yeah, sure, some of my posts might lack a little quality but still... we have 100 members and yet still firemind and i both have posted more than half of all posts together. Even god is a member here (first one to join) and hasn't said a thing :lol: . Why is it that the more experienced and skilled members don't say a thing until they feel provoked (like in "is that so huh?" and "may i ask what your own work is and were we can view it?" - high quality posts :P:P:P ).

Maybe i should just throw in a little "syn_001, i can't stand your style" and "propeller, you just copy my sisters work" every now and then.

Guest govinda

hey govinda... how do you know caskey?

-t

She directed that wack 'mosquito' ad for my ex-wife. A sweetheart of a pregnant person in a red-white-blue Kangol. She loves you guys like a mom.

-govinda

Guest igorschmigor

i may? gee, thank you renascent. Too kind of you.

No, life isn't grant, it's grand!

I don't really piss you off, do i? Never take anyone serious whos name is igorshmigor. Did your renderings come out nicely? (tactical smalltalk distraction)

Sao, you're from California, what do you think about Schwarzenegger winning the elections?

Guest renascent

no you dont piss me off, and i dont mind your name at all...

i dont like to have a pissing contest on a message board over nothing.

the render came out nicely, thanx for asking.

take care.

Guest igorschmigor

oh, i wasn't challenging you for a pissing contest. I just fear that sometimes people on the net might take things i say too personal, or not understand my kind of humor. Unfortunately i inherited my fathers humor, which means i keep trying to be funny and always end up as the only one laughing about my jokes.

Guest firemind

With Timmy the dreamer, Joost the snob, Sao_Bento the conservatist, and Igor the babbler, this thread is it's own soap opera now.

I'm ranking it :H :H :H

:P

Guest igorschmigor

but you know what's really missing in this soap opera? Someone from exopolis joining the conversation. I wonder if they even know what a debate their website started.

Guest Sao_Bento

Wow I'm in a soap opera? I hope it's shot on film and not that cheesey looking video. That would be a great idea, a soap opera about designers. Imagine lines like "David Carson came back!!?? I thought he was dead!!! and "That bastard went behind my back and made a bunch of curly little lines that wipe on!!!" My character could be an Amish guy who quotes David Ogilvy all the time (since I am perceived as a conservative).

Regarding the California administration, the only terminator I want to know about plugs into a BNC jack.

If you want snobby, try Design Observer or Speak Up

http://www.designobserver.com/archives/000054.html

http://www.underconsideration.com

Personally, I'm glad we have a place to discuss this stuff. There is clearly a diverse range of opinions here which makes it interesting. in fact, it beats the hell out of all those Linkdup/newstoday kind of sites that throw up links and never have anything of value to add.

Sao Bento

Guest mistahle

hey Sao, i'm glad you mentioned designobserver. Back to the original argument, I thought this is also valid in this thread. For those who have not seen it, check out "Culture is not always popular" lecture by Jessica Helfand and William Drenttel at AIGA Vancouver posted on www.winterhouse.com. I think they are right about one thing: we should stop trying to be cutting-edge(stylistically.) You know the saying "there's nothing new in art!(or design)" Only when we truly, honestly design for the sake of communications that motion graphic design, like any other field, can mature.

Guest parallax

And on another note,

How do you people think the foldable screens Philips is about to mass produce affects the Motion Graphics industry?

When those screens become cheap, fast, and in full-color, i reckon the demand for motion designers will increase tenfold.

Lots of work!

Or maybe all the people in print will have to adjust? Print not having the exact same background as video/animation, i guess its up to us now :lol:

Guest Sao_Bento

In any case, it is undeniable that to survive in the near-future of design, we will all need to be more versed in the technical intricacies of new technologies. I did a BDA session about interactive television where I told the audience this and was greeted with blank stares. It reminded me of all the older production guys at a newspaper I used to work at - they all ran out and bought computers with Photoshop in an attempt to keep their jobs through the quantum change that was occurring. Those who learned stayed - those who didn't retired a bit early. Goodbye old school.

Guest mistahle

i totally agree that everyone has to keep up-to-date with trends/tech, whatever...but hey, 30 years from now, i know i will hear some kid with a couple yrs. of experience talking trash about being cool, edgy and how much more he is well versed in all aspects of graphics and I probadly will run out and buy something to try and keep up!

It's such an irony to hear the term "old school" though. What's old is new again. And what's new now is already old. I looked back at the Saul Bass's flat graphics and they are still fresh and a whole lot more innovative than most nowadays. Isn't the whole rainbow-color-flat-graphic approach today is inspired or influenced by the colorful, drug-addictive 60s and the availability of cheap products like AE plus a lack of real production budget?

The problem is .... new school only has "15 minutes of fame."

Guest igorschmigor

"like all things, the trend of the future will take the best of the past and redo it in a contemporary context" Nathan Jurevicius in LowFat.

Guest Sao_Bento

>>It's such an irony to hear the term "old school" though. What's old is new again. And what's new now is already old. I looked back at the Saul Bass's flat graphics and they are still fresh and a whole lot more innovative than most nowadays. Isn't the whole rainbow-color-flat-graphic approach today is inspired or influenced by the colorful, drug-addictive 60s and the availability of cheap products like AE plus a lack of real production budget? <<

I was talking about technical skillz as opposed to trendy looks. You can have your opinion about the way things look, but if the industry moves to another technological platform you either learn or fade away. The death of universal standards is leading to a plethora of new ways to display motion graphics work - each with their own specific technical pitfalls.

I think your last sentence is dead on -The fact that design is not valued leads to the no budget situation which leads to drawing things in illustrator rather than shooting film.

Guest firemind

This technology issue isn't exclusive to the field of motion graphics. Being a designer it's baffling and at the same time amusing to *still* see designers that don't know anything beyond Quark express, PS and Illu on their OS9 Mac proudly heading down the road to obsoleteness.

Guest speemur
Only when we truly, honestly design for the sake of communications that motion graphic design, like any other field, can mature.

that's it for me. if you produce something that is true to the question and to some part of yourself - then you have a good strong line. and a design that has integrity.

Guest Nhowe

this thread is like a black hole... damn, im tired after reading all that... and i didnt even read most of it... i made it out though... this thread should have a disclamer

:)

but for the main point of the thread exopolis is tight

Guest donkeykong

funny all the projects you guys mentioned from bns are actually old, justice league is 2 years ago. here's some interesting new stuff from bns, looks like their doin things that are less digital and more practical interpretation of motion graphics, stop motion, miniatures, love the how they interpreted the logo animation in a practical way, again you have to see the humor in what they do most of the time for anyone to appreciate em

http://brandnewschool.com/project.php?&aID=280

http://brandnewschool.com/project.php?&aID=279

Guest govinda
funny all the projects you guys mentioned from bns are actually old, justice league is 2 years ago.

22015[/snapback]

:lol:

No kidding those bits are old. This thread is 18 months old. :)

Guest Sao_Bento
:lol:

No kidding those bits are old. This thread is 18 months old.  :)

22016[/snapback]

Yeah, that stuff it old, now we're on to bashing this Brett Davidson guy. : )