Sign in to follow this  
Guest govinda

Current state of motion graphics (was EXOPOLIS)

Guest igorschmigor
:lol:

No kidding those bits are old. This thread is 18 months old.  :)

22016[/snapback]

Oh my god, you're right. It was on Sep 9 2003 that i mentioned justice league. :lol:

Some of the new BNS stuff is funny. But people in silver robot suits and macaroni street scenes only make me laugh, they don't inspire me that much. Still love the old stuff.

Although it's been predicted to be the next trend i don't like stop motion that much. Well, at least not yet ... who knows what it will look like when designers take it to the next level.

Guest donkeykong

they may not be aesthetically inspiring, but i think the process is inspiring for a shop who traditionally did great stuff digitally, is now trying to go outside the box. and looking at those endtags they did for sunday stew is just great because their referencing motion graphics, but instead of actually being animated in 3d they made the real letters put em in foam core and spin them with their hands, at least i think it's clever

the macaroni and robots and all those weird stuff that they may not be inspiring but it looks like they have a lot of fun doing it, to get paid and fuck around like that is a dream to most people

Guest Sao_Bento

>>the macaroni and robots and all those weird stuff that they may not be inspiring but it looks like they have a lot of fun doing it, to get paid and fuck around like that is a dream to most people<<

To me, that's the part that is NOT inspiring. Just like all those design books filled with personal projects and CD artwork - sure you can make something cool when there are no limitations. That's not the world I live in. I'm much more inspired by reading some story about Eyeball NYC being given a few still photos by Nike and being asked to make a 9 minute video out of it. That's more like the life I lead. That's what pushes me to make my own stuff better.

Guest igorschmigor

They still do good work though. I'm sure they have their limitations too.

The bad thing about funny pieces is: a joke only works the first time you see or hear it.

Edited by igorschmigor

Guest igorschmigor

I hope you don't mean me because i actually love BNS. Really! Nothing but Loverade here.

If you mean Sao, his point of view has always been his design philosophy. Sorry, couldn't find a pic of Philosopherade.

Guest AMO

Pen & Paper, anybody?

Isn't that where all conclusive ideas start?.. I'm also guilty of finding a technique from the tool I'm using, but any good ¨narrative¨ has also been well thought out.

Guest donkeykong

i feel like everyone keeps missing the point. for the last time i'm not talking about design or style. style gets old!!! i'm talking about the thinking process that sort of changed in those bns work that i posted is what i admired about these not the aesthetic, form some reason most designers here can't seem to get beyond that way of thinking. they made the transition on these project by interpreting motion graphic in a practical execution if you look at the new stew bumpers from below, it's basically spawned off the collage stuff from the year before, but now it's a collage in practical world instead of a photoshop collage. the lgo treat ment at the end is the practical interpretion of what a mtoion graphic 3d animation would be. now for the umbrella the old way is they rotoscoped the footage and draw graphics on top of it that interacted with the video, this one they printed the footage on paper and used actual objects as graphic on top that interacted with the video. i think it's refreshing just to see it approached this way. again nothing to do with style, thinking process is very different. i guess most people wont understand the creativity in this thinking but this is just the start i think, this type of approach to motion graphics can bring on a whole new world again, but that's my take, maybe i'll just have to wait another year or longer for others to understand what the hell i see in this

http://brandnewschool.com/project.php?&aID=280

http://brandnewschool.com/project.php?&aID=279

Guest SermonOfMockery

yeah buddy, we're all a year behind you and your vast intellect, i can see how youd get frustrated waiting for all of us idiots to catch up with you. they called galleleo a fool, you know- don't get discouraged!!

Guest igorschmigor

Yes, it's refreshing. But you know, we old people are always stuck on the trends of our youth. We keep telling kids that todays pop music ain't music. Now Jazz, that was real music.

I believe this really is the latest trend. Although many members have already predicted handmade, dirty stuff to become trendy long ago. Check out this thread: http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=570

I believe that we are more and more goin' to pick up scissors, cardboard, paper, tissue, glue etc. and start to do more and more things off the computer, before importing it via scanner, videocamera or whatever... this is also part of that "analogic look" we are talkin' about.

As far as 'handdrawn organic stuff' being 'the next big thing' (ugh how I hate the sound of that), it's all reaction and counter reaction. Sooner or later folks will get tired of superclean vector stuff, as will they of organic messy stuff. (David Carson anyone?).

As a counter reaction on the current clean vector/disco 'era', i get the impression the next trend will be "cut-out/sketchy/monty pythonesque"

style. A bit elementary school design, fooling around with sciccors and glue.

But this too will be just a trend. It's somewhat sampling the style of MTV in the late 80's and giving it a new twist. And for the last decades design has always done that. Take the look of 20 years ago and use it in todays context.

P.S.: those quotes are from february 2004

Edited by igorschmigor

On 9/9/2003 at 4:33 AM, Guest igorschmigor said:

(i wonder if someone at Exopolis is following this discussion)

I was so busy working at Exopolis in 2003 that I didn’t get onto mograph.net until this resurrection in 2018!

SO I wasn’t following the discussion THEN, but I sure am now. Is anyone from 2003 around now in 2018? Looks like this same tired old conversation is still going on.