Sign in to follow this  
NickForshee

Website And Demo Reel

Wow man, I really dig the reel. You've got some really nice work in there. At first I was a little skeptical about how you were going to edit to the track you chose, but in the end I was really just enjoying the work too much to care.

Thanks guys, im looking to get outta town its not looking to good around here... :(

Oh god, where are you from? It can't be worse than Detroit....unless it is Detroit. I'm guessing it is based on you "Oakland Vert" piece.

Overall wonderful. Only question is, do you have a resume or am i missing it? Vital to keep that thing up.

Keep up the good work!

Nice.

I was thinking Detroit would be booming for people like us. Maybe the cars are not selling - but as such, more advertising dollars are spent. I have also noticed that ads for the auto industry are frequently rotated these days - playing off the current weeks' CNN buzzwords.

But yes - very very nice work. I am sure you would find work in NY or LA, but I just see the auto industry as the current hot ticket for us.

(I am posting this in hopes of a rebuttal so I may better understand your POV)

Edited by AromaKat

aromakat - Quite the opposite is true. Advertising dollars are being cut dramatically! The large agencies in the area serving the auto market are shrinking with massive layoffs,..........even the 2-3 primary post-houses in the area that service these agencies are shrinking with layoffs. The price point for the work is dropping as well since the agencies have much less money and the post houses are scrambling for work.

Do not confuse the foreign auto market (VW, mini..etc..etc) with anything going on in DT. If you are in DT and tied in any way to the advertising of the big 3,.....it is a very scary and lean time.

Nick would do well to get outta dodge!

Oh god, where are you from? It can't be worse than Detroit....unless it is Detroit. I'm guessing it is based on you "Oakland Vert" piece.

Overall wonderful. Only question is, do you have a resume or am i missing it? Vital to keep that thing up.

Keep up the good work!

Bingo~! Detroit it is... are you familiar with Detroit at all?

Yeah as far as resume goes i guess i gotta put one together but its pretty short. I've been working at a place

called Ringside Creative for a little over 3 years, before that, Red Lobster, Target. Thats pretty much it.

As far as Detroit goes....Eh...thats a bit of a different story...

All the auto industries seem to be taking some big hits and its finally starting to trickle down into the

kiddie pool of advertising dollars. Some shops around here have been closing up and its looking grim, or

at least alot of belt tightening is going on.

One thing that Detroit unfortunately doesnt have is a DESIGN rep. Work done in town has always been somewhat

shadowed by bigger towns like LA and New York so when it comes to bidding on legitimate design jobs, we are rarely

considered. :( sadly.

So most of the work (with fast turn around times) have been the result of a "testing" phase

to help concieve ideas for a spot that most likely....will go West.

Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated!

( OOP! Breaking news, co-worker just dropped in and informed me about GM dropping Pontiac....Awesome, my clients are dissapearing...gulp )

IMHO Dont sweat the resume at all Nick.

Just have a killer reel,...and a list of clients/agencies...etc...that you've done the work for.

My 2 cents.

btw - I think richaard is gonna visit you later.........

Bingo~! Detroit it is... are you familiar with Detroit at all?

Yeah as far as resume goes i guess i gotta put one together but its pretty short. I've been working at a place

called Ringside Creative for a little over 3 years, before that, Red Lobster, Target. Thats pretty much it.

I've heard of Ringside. Interned for a short time with a gal who worked there before. Yeah, there are very far & few between places for post work in Detroit, and work is limited to cars, and as we all know the big 3 are not doing so well.

I'm over in A2, about to graduate from School of Art & Design (UM) on Saturday and looking at post houses for work. All I can find is non-paid internships. And I have to say, while my work isn't spectacular it isn't shit and unless you've been in the biz forever and will settle for low pay it seems like you can't make it in Detroit without having three jobs.

That's awesome that you've worked there for so long though. Your portfolio is awesome!

I've lived in Michigan my entire life, so I know how Detroit is and how when things seem to be doing better they take a nose-dive. I'd love to move west (visited Portland & Seattle last summer and fell in absolute love) but my boyfriend just got into law school here and, while I've considered moving solo, being so many states apart would be too much.

So yeah, I say run. Run like the fucking wind and don't look back! If you have the means to go to L.A., New York or another big city with more diverse clients in the area then I'd do it. It's amazing, in the northwest they've got Nike, Adidas, Getty Images, Starbucks, REI, and a ton of others. If one sinks there are others to turn to. All Detroit has is cars. And once they sink, bye bye! Don't get me wrong, I really like the people in the mitten, but there are just so few opportunities here and as a young person I feel very restricted. The art scene in Detroit isn't acknowledged like it is in other places. You kind of have to search for the design and art culture here, which can be like a little treasure when you find it but also discouraging the othr 90% when you're in the dark. But hope is coming with the film initiative, I've heard of a couple places for film post opening but they're not opening for awhile.

I know Detroit, so i feel your pain! But at least you're at a very respectable company and are salaried. That's definitely something to be proud of.

Sorry for the rant. All of us young designers in Michigan are feeling the pain.

~Em

Yes, I completely agree with all of the above. Amazing, professional work. Impressive.

The only thing I didn't like in your Reel was the "best-in-class... IN ALL AREAS" - Let the good work speak for it self... I've got no idea how good the rest of your class is, but you certainly deliver.