Sign in to follow this  
yamirb

RANT!!!

I have a bunch of lights and large floor layer. I got fooled by how quickly my ram preview went, that i thought rendering QT would be just as quick. but now after 4 hrs of render it looks like i shot myself on the foot by using so many lights and a real 3d layer for a floor.

I guess i got to remove all my lights and use solids instead.

AE WHY WON"T YOU RENDER 3D WELL?????? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by yamirb

I have a bunch of lights and large floor layer. I got fooled by how quickly my ram preview went, that i thought rendering QT would be just as quick. but now after 4 hrs of render it looks like i shot myself on the foot by using so many lights and a real 3d layer for a floor.

I guess i got to remove all my lights and use solids instead.

AE WHY WON"T YOU RENDER 3D WELL?????? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Are you pre-composing or is this all one insane file? Also you are better off not using AE for compression. Use squeeze or quicktime, something like that.

Edited by Mr. Sam

I am pre-composing the layers in precomps but i am not pre-rendering. I guess i need to pre-render my floor and bring it in as a QT.

Do many people here use lights in AE or large layers in 3d space?

4 hours being a long amount of time? To render something in 3D?

These kids and their expectations today. Also, get off my damn lawn, would you like a game of shuffleboard.. etc etc...

(Hint, you can usually get away with a lot of what lights do in AE with a combination of masks/drop shadows/color correction/modes - I almost never use lights these days.)

c

4 hours aint nothing but you better know the final product is going to look like through motion tests otherwise you're wasting time. And ya, theres other ways to achieve light looks without using actual lights.

4 hours being a long amount of time? To render something in 3D?

These kids and their expectations today. Also, get off my damn lawn, would you like a game of shuffleboard.. etc etc...

(Hint, you can usually get away with a lot of what lights do in AE with a combination of masks/drop shadows/color correction/modes - I almost never use lights these days.)

c

Actually 4 hrs is just half way 4 more to go. i am not use to 8 hrs of rendering times. mine are mostly around 2 hrs. i used lights thinking it was a right way to do it, than using solids, masking etc. but guess not.

Edited by yamirb

4 hours aint nothing but you better know the final product is going to look like through motion tests otherwise you're wasting time. And ya, theres other ways to achieve light looks without using actual lights.

i check it out in ram preview. things look the way i want. just did not think final render time would be so much different then ram preview time.

i check it out in ram preview. things look the way i want. just did not think final render time would be so much different then ram preview time.

If you're RAM previewing at full rez, why not save out the preview? If I'm not mistaken, it defaults to Animation at best quality. Might be worth a shot.

hitting the caps lock key disables the render viewport. My understanding is that he exported lights in an AEC file from cinema or some such and the render is actually being done in after effects. There is no way that the AE renders should be this long.

Edited by Mr. Sam

If you're RAM previewing at full rez, why not save out the preview? If I'm not mistaken, it defaults to Animation at best quality. Might be worth a shot.

Well i ram previewed in half res not full. but i did consider that option once the render started taking this long.

There is no way that the AE renders should be this long.

that was what i was trying to get an answer to. I have about 10 lights in a 30 sec animation. they are native in AE not from C4D

no, no motion blur, I keep myself away from that as much as possible. just bunch of lights and a large floor. My guess is once i use a pre-render for the floor i will know better how much of the delay is due the lights alone. Thanks all for your inputs.

Edited by yamirb

dumb question, but are you rendering locally orover a network (or from a slow usb/fw drive?) Rendering to compressed codecs can add a lot of time per frame as well. I also assume you have nothing else running simultaneously?

dumb question, but are you rendering locally orover a network (or from a slow usb/fw drive?) Rendering to compressed codecs can add a lot of time per frame as well. I also assume you have nothing else running simultaneously?

yep i am rendering locally.

yep i am rendering locally.

I don't think you've said if you are trying to compress while rendering? I assume the render must have finished now anyway but have you experimented on say a few second clips with different settings