Sign in to follow this  
chizmniz

Built a new Computer

So after hours and hours of reading I finally bought and put together my very first computer. I pretty much copied a system I saw on here so thanks to everyone posting up about there systems on this forum. Anyway I got it all together and here it is:

intel i7 920

asus p6t deluxe v2

2 x 3 corsair dominator

evga gtx 280

and for the heat sink I got the thermalright ultra 120 extreme. Now here is my question. I put the heat sink on and its freaking huge lol and its actually so big that it covers one of my ram slots and, as far as I know, I have to run 2 sticks min of ram and its preferable to run in sets of three. So if I wanted to upgrade, is the only option I have to just upgrade the three sticks I have to bigger ones? I would love to hear if anyone has figured out how to use all 6 ram slots on the asus board with the thermalright heatsink.

Now I am a total computer tech newb so building this was very entertaining and probably took me 10 times longer than most would have taken. The only other problem I am having is getting AE CS3 to enable opengl. I have ran through all the prefs in AE to enable it but it tells me that I might need to upgrade some drivers or something. I have d/l all the drivers from evga and I even tried nvidia. But still no luck with AE. I do not know anything about opengl and would love to get some light shed on this. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

-Awesome! Building your own computer is super fun, just dont let it get addicting. Once you've done it...its super easy to do it again.

-Hmmm...I think that heatsink might be a problem in the future. You will probably want to get 12gb or more once the prices drop. I think sticks of 3 run better under some circumstance I cant remember...Are you overclocking? Do you need that super duper heatsink?

-A lot of effects automatically use opengl gpu power, most of the time its turned on by default. Your fast preview window can be set to use opengl rendering by click on that little icon (that looks like a lightning bolt going through a screen.) Its located below your comp window next to your view and camera pulldown buttons. Someone tell me if im missing something....

-You can also force opengl in your standard AE preferences under Preview.

-Drivers- Dont use the EVGA drivers on the CD, just download them from nvidia. They are current. Or try using their beta drivers. Use drivercleaner to clean out the old drivers and try them again...otherwise Im not sure whats going on.

Yea I had a blast building it :) . I am planning on over clocking thats why i did such a massive heat sink along with 6 case fans and 2 internal fans lol. Over kill for sure but will be worth it when I start trying to figure out this overclocking thing.

-The fast preview does not even recognize opengl and I have tried forcing it through the prefs with no avail.

I have heard that I should revert to an older driver? Has anyone tried this and if so where would I get an older driver for the evga gtx 280 and how would I go about reverting. Thanks again

Uninstall the nvidia graphics driver from your computer from your control panel.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us Check out the list at the bottom that says "Beta and Archived Drivers" Go to town...download a bunch and see if one works. Just make sure to clean the previous driver from your system before installing the new one.

****Make sure you have downloaded the correct one for your OS*** vista64?...vista32? XP64...etc.. Ive made this mistake a couple times and downloaded the wrong version.

I pretty much copied a system I saw on here so thanks to everyone posting up about there systems on this forum.

Hehe, I think thats my rig :)

Edited by Jim Gravina

Hehe, I think thats my rig :)

Actually I think your right :) lol I looked all over the place and your rig was the most solid I found. Thank You :)

How did you get around the heatsink on that board to use all those ram ports or did you?

I'm running a very similar rig, based on Jim's also...I changed the mobo and the video card...but its very similar. I also had a problem with the same heat sync...only option was to install the ram upfront. But you could always take off the heat sync in the future to install the ram and then re-install the sync, but that would be a pain in the ass.

Actually I think your right :) lol I looked all over the place and your rig was the most solid I found. Thank You :)

How did you get around the heatsink on that board to use all those ram ports or did you?

Your welcome. How do you have your heatsink positioned? If you look at my pic mine is positioned PARALLEL to my RAM slots. I dont have the closest slot filled yet, but i did test it and there is JUST enough room with it positioned this way (its hard to see in the pic, I was just showing you the way my heatsink was mounted). If there ISN'T room...try mounting the fan on the OTHER side (again, if your is positioned like mine). Hope this helps!

One difference I noticed is that you have the NEWER version of this board, I have the first version so there MAY be a layout difference. Im not familiar with version 2 of this board.

Jim

PC.jpg

Thanks alot for that pic. I actually positioned mine different. I set it up so it blows out through the top. I have a 140 fan that blows out on the top so I thought that would be the best place for heat distribution. I will prob take it apart and reposition it when I decide to get some more ram.