Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

FXPHD

I took some of the AE classes and RED courses about this time last year.

I enjoyed them- the production classes were extremely useful as I wanted to get out on set more often. Currently I'm too cheap to fork up $300. It's worth it if you can devote time to the class forum, and truly stay on top. Which didn't coincide with my schedule..

After exhaustive research on this site and others, I took the plunge with my first 3 course term the other day. I had a quick question about something before going ahead and signing up and John Montgomery himself emailed me back within 5 minutes. So far so good course-wise. I'm very pleased with how it's going. As far as the $300 or so dollars, it's worth it all day long. Highly recommended.

I took VFXPHD classes. I took UI Design / Development for AFX, VFX for Indies, Intro to Nuke, Intro to Smoke, A random Advanced AFX, and an advanced light / color theory class.

They were all pretty good - but i got frustrated at times when classes did not come out in time, etc. Unfortunately, there is not an online repository - so you need to take the classes while they are live - and you need a minimum of 3. Its a bit pricey, but they are good. If it were set up like a more expensive Lynda, I would probably be a regular. I want to be able to select what I need now and have access to it. I do not understand why they shoot these great courses and make them available for only a month.

They are great - and if you have a few classes that really strike your interest I do recommend it. Just be sure to turn off the automatic rebilling - as it is on by default. Some months can be a complete dud - so check the schedule.

All in all - good HD material. Good projects.... But for me I think rather than using the forum-styled classroom where you get to ask questions and share thoughts / ideas with your classmates I would prefer waiting till the end of the month where I can download all of the material and go at my own pace.

PS - Last month I got busy with real work and had to wait until after it was over to download the material and dedicate time. I did not turn in a thing and I still got the course completion credit - so I wouldn't try to use FXPHD credits as proof of legitimate training for an employer / raise.

What are you looking into taking this time around?

I'm in my first term now, and it's REALLY good. The guys who teach are total pros, and they teach you by going through real-world examples. For example, this term FXPHD basically became the VFX company for the production of a Red Dwarf movie, and many of the classes show how they handled it. You see on-set, nuke work, after effects, flame, maya... it's very cool.

I previewed the After Effects classes, and a couple of them are fairly advanced and have helpful information. I taking 2 Nuke classes and a Syntheyes class and they are all great, I highly recommend.

joey

I've been listening to the podcasts and watching the vid casts (As well as following some of the founders and teachers on twitter and have been very tempted myself. It all looks very inspiring to me. I've just been too busy to commit to it which is a frustrating catch 22. Aromakat, thanks for the inside info--gives me a better idea of what to expect. It appears I will be freeing up in about a week, but was concerned I'd be starting way too late for this semester. I may hold off till July so I can follow from the beginning.

i definitely recommend FXPHD over cineversity if you have the extra $230 to fork over. great classes and the forums are very helpful. you'll get feedback/answers immediately

Guest Sao_Bento
fxphd is pretty darn good for quality and quantity of content.

The problem I have is finding the time to watch the vids and do the work.

Yep - that applies to ALL the training stuff that's out there. I'm still trying to get around to stuff that's two years old now.