Sign in to follow this  
sindre

sindre moen - website, showreel, etc

There's definitely a lot to like, especially considering your age and the fact that you're self taught.

I don't want to let either of those two details poison the well (so to speak) though.

The abstract visuals, which make up the majority of your reel, feel well executed and you clearly have a good grasp of 3d, particularly cloth and fluids. Each shot does feel a bit like an individual experiment (a well made one though) of a specific technique or software feature. The type laid over tries to give these shots a feeling of a deeper purpose, but the type feels like a bit of an afterthought. The way it was integrated, animated, and composed appears very secondary and I find most of the type difficult to read given the intensity and complexity of the other visual elements.

My advice would be to work more closely with the type as a PRIMARY element rather than as a supporting element. Demonstrate that you understand how to compose, treat, and animate type and I think your work will shine even further and your reel will be much more well-rounded.

All in all there's some good work and you're headed in the right direction.

Edited by SaintEfan

There's definitely a lot to like, especially considering your age and the fact that you're self taught.

I don't want to let either of those two details poison the well (so to speak) though.

The abstract visuals, which make up the majority of your reel, feel well executed and you clearly have a good grasp of 3d, particularly cloth and fluids. Each shot does feel a bit like an individual experiment (a well made one though) of a specific technique or software feature. The type laid over tries to give these shots a feeling of a deeper purpose, but the type feels like a bit of an afterthought. The way it was integrated, animated, and composed appears very secondary and I find most of the type difficult to read give the intensity and complexity of the other visual elements.

My advice would be to work more closely with the type as a PRIMARY element rather than as a supporting element. Demonstrate that you understand how to compose, treat, and animate type and I think your work will shine even further and your reel will be much more well-rounded.

All in all there's some good work and you're headed in the right direction.

What he said.

There's definitely a lot to like, especially considering your age and the fact that you're self taught. I don't want to let either of those two details poison the well (so to speak) though. The abstract visuals, which make up the majority of your reel, feel well executed and you clearly have a good grasp of 3d, particularly cloth and fluids. Each shot does feel a bit like an individual experiment (a well made one though) of a specific technique or software feature. The type laid over tries to give these shots a feeling of a deeper purpose, but the type feels like a bit of an afterthought. The way it was integrated, animated, and composed appears very secondary and I find most of the type difficult to read given the intensity and complexity of the other visual elements. My advice would be to work more closely with the type as a PRIMARY element rather than as a supporting element. Demonstrate that you understand how to compose, treat, and animate type and I think your work will shine even further and your reel will be much more well-rounded. All in all there's some good work and you're headed in the right direction.

i second that emotion.

i could see you working with a 1st Ave Machine with your skillset, abstract and technical.

good stuff, keep it up.

hey man great stuff.

I agree with what others are saying, mix it up a bit too, try different styles. You should check out Onesize, they're a dutch company and their stuff its very organic and experimental like yours.

Thanks a lot guys! glad to hear that you liked my work and thanks for the advice. As a matter of fact I'm working on some storyboards right now - which isn't abstract at all! :)

silatix - I'm not quite sure yet. Have to see where things are going before i decide anything :)

Have a great day all!