Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Avid's new brand identity

Yeah - saw this earlier on http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/

Pretty gutsy - but (I think) in all the right ways.

It visually recognizes the desktop revolution (i.e. having to now compete with Final Cut and other companies with groovier marketing), and tries to style up Avid's somewhat nerdier old-school hardware-based image.

Also gives more ways to use the logo in overall design.

(see photos here http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew..._played_on.php)

I dig it.

im not a fan, idk it looks too early '00s...or like it belongs on a gaming console, its hard to take it serious.

and what was with the recent misstep in logo design with adobe (the lame as fuk cs4 one)

maybe I'm missing something o.O

edit: =)

Edited by apoK

Yeah, you're missing something. I think it's great. It's good clean design, loosely references playhead controls, but not too literal.

When you say it's not modern, if you're suggesting it should be shiny or extruded, you are a fool.

It seems I'm getting more catty with my posts lately. Sorry.

What a rubbish. Uninspired, boring, tacky... and copycat --> http://www.viva.tv

Mylenium

...haha brilliant

maybe I was expecting something bolder or stronger from a seasoned company like Avid.

The new look has a 'candy' quality to it, Mylenium's link sums it up well...thats where candy belongs =D

What a rubbish. Uninspired, boring, tacky... and copycat --> http://www.viva.tv

Mylenium

I'm pretty sure viva tv is not the first person/group to come up with that design...I would think that most anyone with both a's and v's in their names would probably try similar designs at some point.

This was the logo they were flying over their booth at NAB. It seemed as though they were highlighting only the editing of 3d (as in stereoscopic) - which is a concept I still have trouble taking seriously.

I like it too, although I might have ditched the gradient .. not sure about that yet. But overall, I think it works well for them.

At least it makes sense for what AVID does.

i like it. to me it seems like a good solution to their problem, which is probably revolving around the fact that they needed to step up with the times in order to stay competitive. if they're trying to hit a younger market with it, and not seem so old and stogy, i'd say mission accomplished.

and are you guys serious about that viva logo? this is WAY better handled than that and does not look copycat at all. just because there are triangles does not mean its a rip-off.

i like it. to me it seems like a good solution to their problem, which is probably revolving around the fact that they needed to step up with the times in order to stay competitive. if they're trying to hit a younger market with it, and not seem so old and stogy, i'd say mission accomplished.

and are you guys serious about that viva logo? this is WAY better handled than that and does not look copycat at all. just because there are triangles does not mean its a rip-off.

did you read this thread? vivad.gifsays it all. you can't copycat an idea that's already so overdone but it's a clear indicator of mediocrity that avid's new logo looks so much like viva's and so many others.

to me, it looks like an editor trying to do graphic design.

well i never heard of viva before, so that didn't pop in to mind immediately. i guess i could maybe understand your point if it were just the style that they ripped, or just decided to use triangles because it "looks so 80's and hip", but they've managed to include the entire function of their products within that little design. to me, that is successful logo design. i will grant that it was probably inspired by viva, but i think they've taken it further into their own territory.

I know I'm not the only one who sees a flacid johnson.

wow, yea, you cant get any more cliché than a phallic symbol, after thousands of years of art and design, its the most oft used symbol around the world. well played avid