Sign in to follow this  
zook

Copyright infringment

I have recently found blurb that's on my website on another mograph designer's site.

Obviously I'm not to chuffed about this but am now wondering what course of action to take.

It's not a simple as asking them to take it down, as their approach is rather . . . Machiavellian and strident, shall we say, and I'm worried about them slagging me to clients.

Anyone else had experience of this?

Zook, not sure what you mean...did someone use your work on their site? A "Blurb" in the US is usually a short bit of text...is that what you mean? Someone ripped off your descriptions or something? Please clarify.

Blurb as originally written by me:

We bring passion, enthusiasm, creativity and integrity to everything we do – these are attributes we think will make our partnership with your business a happy, productive and profitable one for us both. We will apply over 20 years experience, an eye for detail and depth of knowledge to the project, so you can be assured of a high quality product.

Blurb as it appears on other site:

AT ________ WE BRING PASSION, ENTHUSIASM, CREATIVITY AND INTEGRITY TO EVERYTHING WE DO – THESE ARE ATTRIBUTES WE THINK WILL MAKE OUR PARTNERSHIP WITH YOUR BUSINESS A HAPPY, PRODUCTIVE AND PROFITABLE ONE FOR US BOTH. WE WILL APPLY OUR EXPERIENCE AND DEPTH OF KNOWLEDGE TO THE PROJECT, SO YOU CAN BE ASSURED OF A HIGH QUALITY PRODUCT.

Thing is, this firm is in direct competition to me and it's entirely conceivable that a prospective client might look at both our sites in close succession.

Integrity?

Edited by zook

That is pretty annoying, but a complement I guess.

On the other hand, have you ever met a person who ever read a mission statement, let alone remembered it?

If you are bothered, you could tweak yours. It won't lose you any work if you change it. People just look at your work, they don't care what you say.

Dude - It's not the best bit of writing ever anyway. Don't be precious over it, and if you do cave and rewrite the blurb on your site (not that you want to admit the other party has forced you to) then at least you're being adaptable.

However, don't let this cunt get away with it - do please send them an email, which I would be more than happy to word with you and help to wipe the smile off their smug little faces.

Assholes!

I have to admit I find this very tricky territory. In your case there's no question of them stealing your words. They're identical. There could be any number of reasons why this text appeared on their site. So I think I'd try to approach it in a friendly way. Maybe a phone call to the boss saying 'Hey, I'm not sure how this happened, but you've somehow got the exact same mission statement on your site that I put up on mine months (years) ago. Would you mind getting it off there?' If they're going to be belligerent about it, at least you've tried to do the right thing.

I would love to hear how other motion graphics people have handled things like this, especially when it comes to actual visual ideas being copied. I've been trying to figure out how to handle an issue like this where a look I devised years ago for an international charity wound up in a rock video. I would have chalked it up to coincidence if it weren't for the fact that the people who made the rock video are my neighbors in office building. Gets me angry just thinking about it.

If it is close competition then just ignore it (and maybe delete this thread too) BUT from now on keep an eye on them with any 'move' you make.

And don't get involved emotionally - pointless.

I looked at their reel--I would imagine you have nothing to worry about, (although that doesnt make the situation any less annoying).

I agree with others here-- if you choose not to confront, then just one up him on the MS.

Edited by JoelD