Sign in to follow this  
b_foote1

AE Expression help

I want to fake a focus adjustment across a largre area id rather not keyframe it. How can i randomly tell tell fast blur or any blur for that matter to focus in and out every few seconds? any help would be much appreciated.

You can add a wiggle expression to any property you want to randomly fluctuate. The syntax is: wiggle(frequency, amplitude);

I would also add a slider control and use that value for the the amplitude so you can smoothly animate the effect on and off.

Edited by Albert Omoss

I want to fake a focus adjustment across a largre area id rather not keyframe it. How can i randomly tell tell fast blur or any blur for that matter to focus in and out every few seconds? any help would be much appreciated.

Hi:

the wiggle expression is indeed a good approach. If maybe you want to dive deeper in "controlling the ramdoness" take a look at this tutorial from Dan Ebberts

sometimes is hard to comprehend but helps a lot :D

You can add a wiggle expression to any property you want to randomly fluctuate. The syntax is: wiggle(frequency, amplitude);

I would also add a slider control and use that value for the the amplitude so you can smoothly animate the effect on and off.

This'll work on a flat comp (e.g., your shot is a straight-on photograph). But if you have any z-space at all, you'll need to rig something with a camera and DoF.