Sign in to follow this  
RVA8

New animation - looking for feedback

Hey mographers,

I recently finished my first big project in Cinema 4D and it finally posted today. It's a rather abstract story about a character/product created by an NYC-based product design company as a promotion. I'd love to hear any thoughts, critiques, comments, suggestions, etc. positive or negative as I feel like, compared to so much of the talent on this forum, I am just starting. Anything you can offer up would be of great value to me.

http://www.releasethehounds.tv/nooka.html

Thanks!

R

Edited by RVA8

i think it looks great. the particle effects work nicely, and everything transitions really well. My only critique is that I have no idea what I'm suppose to be looking at. This ambiguity might be a good thing, because I would then feel the need to go to the website to figure out what the hell I just watched....

Good work.

Really nice. I really like what you did with the core scene and in general a really fun piece to watch. If I were to suggest some things, I would add more depth of field to your particles when they are breaking apart through their scenes. Also, i would figure out a way to break up the scene where the character is in the bubble and flies through the sky. I like how the elements come into the scene on beat, but the shot really sits there.

In general great job. Also, the song fucking rocks. Nice choice.

Thank you all for the kind words! The track is "Sleepyhead" by Passion Pit. There are definitely things that I had wanted to do with this that I just didn't have time for. FL@Vr, I agree with you about that particular part of the piece. That was one place where I wish I could have done a bit more. I need to work on getting faster I think. :lol:

Some pretty cool moments in there. Were the dark edges on your objects done purpose? I feel like your lighting choices/seperate passes and materials took away from the feeling that all of these things were actually living in the environment shown.

Some pretty cool moments in there. Were the dark edges on your objects done purpose? I feel like your lighting choices/seperate passes and materials took away from the feeling that all of these things were actually living in the environment shown.

Thank you Silatix, that's exactly what I needed to hear. The dark edges were done on purpose. I was going for a stylized cartoon kind of look mixed with a softer, more "realistic" background. Admitedly, lighting is not my strong point yet. I have a ways to go, but I can see points in this piece where the lighting could definitely be improved. I learned a TON doing this project, so hopefully my next one will be much better.

In terms of getting things to feel like they belong in the environments, do you have any specific points where they feel particularly disconnected? Can you offer any quick suggestions/thoughts on improving this for next time?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm still learning too so I feel ya ;) I was working on a comp recently where I had the same results and realized I had to build everything together in one environment so colors and lights were bouncing effectively. Im sure theres better ways to do that *cue: the monkey* but that seemed to help. Taking some time to work out kinks like that in practice comps goes a long way. Just because you don't know how to do something better doesn't mean you cant figure it out with trial and error. Clean up your materials and lights and you'll end up with a much better piece :H

Thank you Silatix, that's exactly what I needed to hear. The dark edges were done on purpose. I was going for a stylized cartoon kind of look mixed with a softer, more "realistic" background. Admitedly, lighting is not my strong point yet. I have a ways to go, but I can see points in this piece where the lighting could definitely be improved. I learned a TON doing this project, so hopefully my next one will be much better.

In terms of getting things to feel like they belong in the environments, do you have any specific points where they feel particularly disconnected? Can you offer any quick suggestions/thoughts on improving this for next time?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm still learning too so I feel ya ;) I was working on a comp recently where I had the same results and realized I had to build everything together in one environment so colors and lights were bouncing effectively. Im sure theres better ways to do that *cue: the monkey* but that seemed to help. Taking some time to work out kinks like that in practice comps goes a long way. Just because you don't know how to do something better doesn't mean you cant figure it out with trial and error. Clean up your materials and lights and you'll end up with a much better piece :H

Thanks in advance!

what silatix said re: the lighting and materials. I was skeptical at first (the character didn't really grab me), but actually I really got drawn in. Liked it a lot! The only thing other than shading/lighting (your comping skills seem to be fine) is: what is this communicating? Hardly your fault if the original script wasn't clear, but it's a shame if all your good work went to waste.

Dan

what silatix said re: the lighting and materials. I was skeptical at first (the character didn't really grab me), but actually I really got drawn in. Liked it a lot! The only thing other than shading/lighting (your comping skills seem to be fine) is: what is this communicating? Hardly your fault if the original script wasn't clear, but it's a shame if all your good work went to waste.

Dan

Thanks for the comment Dan! I'm glad you liked it. It's funny, the communication issue you speak of came through in the editing process. The original script we wrote was pretty clear and, to us, had a clear story line. The problem is that the scenes that make the story complete got cut (three total). If it were up to me, they'd be in there, but unfortunately it's not. I don't mind the ambiguity and abstract nature of where this ended up, but it did lose a lot of the main story in the process which was a bummer.

R

I liked this piece a lot - although it is completely bonkers and I'm not sure what it's all about (probably due to those cut scenes). But that doesn't really matter because it has a wonderful high-end feel to it and is very playful. There were a lot of styles involved which I actually liked (especially the hard edged 'toon' look) - but I thought you could have capitalized on the 3D aspect a bit more by adding more DOF. I'm very impressed though - I've only started really on C4D so this kind of project is something I can only aspire to ;)

How long did it take you to complete the project?

I liked this piece a lot - although it is completely bonkers and I'm not sure what it's all about (probably due to those cut scenes). But that doesn't really matter because it has a wonderful high-end feel to it and is very playful. There were a lot of styles involved which I actually liked (especially the hard edged 'toon' look) - but I thought you could have capitalized on the 3D aspect a bit more by adding more DOF. I'm very impressed though - I've only started really on C4D so this kind of project is something I can only aspire to ;)

How long did it take you to complete the project?

Hey Mookomatic,

thanks for the kind words! I agree with your DOF comment. I think a similar comment was made above. Along those lines I probably could have added a subtle distortion to the underwater scene to improve that a bit too, now that I think about it. All these comments and suggestions are going on my list to use for the next project. Thank you all for the comments!

Time-wise it's hard to say exactly how many hours it took. I was working a full time job during the production on this project so I would work evenings and weekends, much to my girlfriend's chagrin. I started production in January and I was done with a completed first round for the client in mid March. But then there was a lot of back-and-forth with edits, so that was another 5 weeks or so. So I guess it was close to four months with edits and everything to get what you see now. Hope that helps!

R

Sweet man!

Glad to see your getting more 3d in. I love the cell splitting part. Im not so thrilled about the character, but im assuming it's what the client wanted? I agree with the DOF comment. Also the strokes coming out of the walkman are a little jarring for me, what if you used some motion blur (of course due to render time I understand why you wouldn't) Keep it up. :lol:

Sweet man!

Glad to see your getting more 3d in. I love the cell splitting part. Im not so thrilled about the character, but im assuming it's what the client wanted? I agree with the DOF comment. Also the strokes coming out of the walkman are a little jarring for me, what if you used some motion blur (of course due to render time I understand why you wouldn't) Keep it up. :lol:

Thanks Ryan! Indeed it is the client's character/product. It's funny you read that as a walkman. It's actually one of their watches. They make rather non-traditional products, so I could see that being misread especially since there's no scale reference or anything. The establishing shots for now what is the first scene were among those to be cut. I would have loved to use more motion blur, but time was definitely an issue. Next time though. Thanks for the comments! :)

R