Sign in to follow this  
gilk

organic traditionnal animation with AE ?

hand animated shape layers/masks? pretty much how you'd do it in flash I think. Copy and paste your original paths from Illustrator and then reverse animate them adding points as you need to roughen the shapes and resize them keyframing on however many frames you need to.

1. Draw shapes in illustrator as per final logo.

2. Count how many paths you have including compound paths.

3. In AE do Layer>New>Shape Layer

4. In the timeline twirl down the Layer and do Add:>Path

5. Select the path and hit Command-D until you have as many paths as there were in AI. Do Add:>Fill and select your colour.

6. Select all the paths and twirl them down so you can see the actual Path property with the stopwatch next to it.

7. Go back to AI, select all your paths and hit Command-C

8. Go back to AE timeline. Maybe hit the tilde key(~) so your timeline maximises. Select all the path properties. Hit Command-V to paste paths. (By pasting them all to one layer you will preserve their relationships to each other).

9. Duplicate the Layer as many times as you need so you have one layer for each letter/object.

10. Edit the paths on each layer - eg. Delete paths that will end up on other layers, and do Add:>Merge Paths if you need compound shapes.

11. Consider doing Add:Wiggle Paths once (or perhaps twice with different settings for Detail and Size) to each path.

12. Enable the stopwatch for each Path property and get to work.

Edited by kitkats

If you are interested in this kind of effect, I did 2 tests.

First one with Illustrator and After Effects, using the kitkats'technic, it's very hard to manipulate and very long :

http://vimeo.com/4930908

Second one with Flash (traditional animation) and after effects. It's more acurated to what I wanted and it didn't took me that long but you need some drawing and animation skills :

http://vimeo.com/6476702

Hope it'll help :)

Cool, the first one's a bit rough but nice. I think it's just time consuming making sure your masks are moving organically. The second one I think you could just have used puppet tool in after effects to open the eyes, I know that wouldn't work for a lot of what you're probably thinking of doing but it's something to keep in mind. I use it quite a bit just to add a bit of organic motion to things