Sign in to follow this  
crmoberg

Grad work

Hello Everyone,

I just graduated and beginning to look for work. I wanted some opinions on my portfolio site (mainly my motion work). I really want to do motion graphics for a living and still have a lot to learn. Any feedback or suggestions would be great. Even in terms of what studios will be looking for in a new employee.

Thanks and much appreciated,

Chris.

www.chrismoberg.ca

Hey Chris, I really liked the copy at the top of your site with the instruction manual. I think if I was going through a bunch of designers sites this would help me remember yours.

On the other hand there are some typos and grammar mistakes etc. in the text on your site, I would clean that up to give the best impression.

As far as the work goes there is definitely some good stuff that shows promise but you might want to work on some more short pieces so you can put together a reel, not sure that people would actually take the time to go through the site without first seeing a reel. I think if I were a prospective employer looking at your site I would want to see something beyond your school projects even if it was just personal stuff, but I am not actually a prospective employer (just a lowely mographer) so that's just my 2 cents.

Hey, congrats on graduating.

Yeah, the easiest thing you can do to up your game is to proof everything on your site and use professional language. "For this project we where asked to create you will be selecting a client and creating an animated mnemonic for their brand" is clearly a case of having thrown something on to the page in a relative hurry and not bothering to look at it again. But on a larger scale, try to take a proofing mentality with everything you do, including writing, making imagery, and animating. I mean this in the sense that you seem to have an initial idea, which you rush into production, and then you don't consider going back to constantly assess either how well you're executing the idea, or whether the idea was spot on in the first place.

For instance, let's look at your site layout/imagery. So you kinda had this idea that you wanted your portfolio to be a little like an old user manual. Maybe you had a reference that inspired you, maybe not. But you did some mono-weight line illustrations of yourself, did the simple shapes background in two-color on yellowed paper, roughed the edges up, and put your info where it looked like it'd fit. Now what do you have? Is it what you wanted? Probably a little, but not really. If not, why not? Is it because you didn't execute it well, or was the original "idea" underdeveloped? These are questions about your intent and communicating that intent that you need to really ask yourself because if you don't, either you won't understand your intent, or your potential viewers won't. And neither of those is what you want. This isn't to say you've done a horrible job and are a failure at life or whatever, but it's definitely something to keep you on the right track.

My answers to those questions would be "I don't know what I have, but it kinda has some elements that reference old print styles, and I threw in that 'user manual' thing to help it along" followed by "I'm not really sure what it was that I wanted cuz I didn't really work it out beforehand, and I could have worked it out in the making of it, but I sorta got sidetracked or ran out of time or something". The typography isn't really referencing anything, the imagery is on the edge of the vernacular that you're shooting for but you're not doing anything potent with it, and the layout isn't grouping information or leading the eye very well. And again, this isn't the end of the world, but these are some things you should consider.

So do this routine:

1) what's my goal?

2) does the idea that I have fully accomplish that goal?

3) is my execution conveying the idea?

...and then repeatedly ask these questions until you're satisfied with the answers.

On the whole: good work, nice site!

Specifically, though, the site seems to be a bit cramped. Perhaps having different branches for each type of work would help that problem, and more spacing (especially from the header of the site).

Love the idea of the instruction manual!!! Very very clever.

My favorite piece was the "Mad award bumper", nice. However, some of the other work seemed a bit jerk-y. Try playing around with your keyframes (believe me, this has been a problem that has plagued my own work, so i know how frustrating keyframes can be!!)

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. This site was a little rushed. It was a school project. I plan to redo my portfolio site and also make sure to include a demo reel. I'm definitely taking all note of all the great tips.

I keep hearing/seeing this a lot, for people to work on their key frames. I've been trying to play more with the the graph editor in After Effects to adjust my eases. I find it hard to use. I know in CS4 they have introduced the x,y,z graph editor but I am still finding it hard to get it to do exactly what I want. It just seems to take forever to get the result I want. Does anyone have an suggestions.

Thanks so much,

Chris.

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8066

Has some good advice about keying cameras, but a lot of it can be extrapolated to general keyframe advice.

My personal advice is less is more with keyframes, particularly in AE. Try to accomplish the movement with as few frames as possible and let the curves control timing and speed. Are you paying attention to spatial easing as well as temporal easing? Sometimes people overlook one while focusing on the other.

Thanks for the advice. This is helping a lot. And just to double check 'spatial' is controlling the bezier curves of an objects path, and temporal is controlling the eases of that keyframe? This is kinda what I have got from exploring AE. Please clarify if I'm way off.

Thanks again!