Sign in to follow this  
antechambre

New Freelancer Reel

Hi MotionPeoples,

Mographer who just moved to NYC here, looking to break into the freelance scene & hunting for some feedback on the ol' reel.

Take a peek, if you please

http://vimeo.com/4825956

hi-quality version

http://antichamber.com/reel/reelhi.html

Thoughts on...

Length? Speed? Opener / Closer? Shots to remove?

Thanks all!

Aaron

antichamber.com

i just wanna preface this by saying that everything i say is meant to be helpful, with absolutely no venom... in case it reads as too blunt.

watching your reel, the overall feeling i have is this: "this person has skills and talent, and just needs some good direction"... as in working under a good director.

a few primo things i saw in there:

- the opening thing with the castley stuff was unique, interesting and memorable. that combo is a big deal.

- you get big kudos for making a videowall and animated flourishes look actually fun and compelling. taking a dumb shitty contrived idea from the brief and making it sexy or innovative is unfortunately a key part of this profession.

- you generally have strong, well-crafted hierarchies of temporal/motion dominance, meaning though you have a lot of stuff going on onscreen sometimes, it doesn't become a big mess of visual fartvomit. this is what separates the toys from the pros as animators in the mograph world.

some flaws:

- your use of camera movement is pretty underdeveloped and flawed in both craftsmanship and concept in many cases, i feel. this is the kind of thing where working under a good director makes a big difference.

- your sense of design & color are not super great, but definitely solid. another thingee for the "under a good director" category.

- you used the typeface arial. that makes you look pretty bad to some people. and really mega bad to others. but the "good director" thing applies again.

- not a lot of super interesting projects in your reel, but that's more you being a victim of circumstance.

- it could be cut down tighter.

if you are in nyc or LA then any producer with half a brain at a decent studio will look at your reel and think "this guy can def animate" and know that you animating someone's great boards/styleframes = good stuff. but you'll probably be brought in as a junior level animator and then have to proceed to prove yourself. in a year or two you'll have a reel with a bunch of primo projects in there and will prob be pooping twenty dollar bills. assuming that the economy allows for it.

hope this helps and best of luck.

Edited by jaan

Hey Jaan,

Thanks a million! This is exactly what I was hunting for, thank you for taking the time to write it all out. Being locked up in an interactive studio and getting by on the scraps of mograph that come through now and then makes for a very

feast or famine design life, and those personal projects def do not pay the bills. It's refreshing to finally get an art-school-flavored crit again, and this is definitely the place for it.

Thanks,

Aaron

Really good work - Loved the audio you chose - some great pieces...my only crit for the demo would be some faster cuts/edits - maybe cut out a bit of the work that is similar..best kept under 2 min (2:16 right?) Overall , I think its a great job - good luck!

You really take advantage of the transitions for the purpose of eye-candy: a mark of a classy motionographer.

Cool song, but if you're gonna show any of this to somebody familiar with mograph, you're gonna have to cut it shorter and faster.

Really good work - Loved the audio you chose - some great pieces...my only crit for the demo would be some faster cuts/edits - maybe cut out a bit of the work that is similar..best kept under 2 min (2:16 right?) Overall , I think its a great job - good luck!

Thanks! I only wish Junior Boys live had sounded as good as this track at their last concert. Definitely going to cut it down some.

Aaron

You really take advantage of the transitions for the purpose of eye-candy: a mark of a classy motionographer.

Cool song, but if you're gonna show any of this to somebody familiar with mograph, you're gonna have to cut it shorter and faster.

Haha tx--that's ma job! The half decent spots were done at an interactive studio i was at. I wanted to own each project and gloss the hell out of it, even though I probably should've settled for something simpler and called it a day and gone home to play halo or whatever the hell people do these days. Better to get the most bang for your buck, y'know? We can sleep when we're dead!

Aaron

Thanks! I only wish Junior Boys live had sounded as good as this track at their last concert. Definitely going to cut it down some.

Aaron

Ha - I also used Junior Boys on my reel - In the Morning..would be awesome to see in concert..luck-y