Sign in to follow this  
MurakamiFan

Rates???

Greeeeetings,

So, I'm working freelance in Helsinki. I have a couple years experience but I am new to the freelancing realm. I have this project currently and I need to calculate my rates but I'm not sure exactly how to proceed with the quote for my work. The project will last for the next three to four weeks, for two music videos and the video shoot has been completed already on Monday all with chroma. My responsibilities include keying, camera tracking, animation + visual effects (like particles) and image compositing all with After Effects.

What is the best way to come up with a reasonable quote when having multiple responsibilities, and does that really even factor in?? Honestly, I'm not really that confident on guaging the best wage even for a single task or per hour or per day. Any help is greatly appreciated. Or perhaps, what would be a good starting point?

Cheers

What would you like to make it worth your time + averaged closer to industry standards + value of the end product to client + shi* factor + all the while keeping in mind the client's budget + potential for even more work + nights of missed sleep due to wearing 50 hats

It may be difficult for you to estimate, given that you're new to freelance, but I would recommend trying to come up with a figure for how many hours it would take to complete all the different tasks combined and then figure out what you would be comfortable making per hour. Make sure to subtract and adjust for expenses and costs associated with the project. I wouldn't necessarily bill the client like this (hourly), but it's good to have a realistic picture of your estimated time spent in order to asses whether the budget is even worth the effort.

example:

$2000.00 for a project you think you'll spend 10 hours on is not bad.

that same budget for 200 hours of work is shit.

Do you have a day rate that you use for freelance work? If so then you may start by applying that and then, if that's over budget, discounting slightly fort he extended engagement.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.

I usually break down each task price wise rather a general quote for the whole project- this way also helps you estimate how much time it will take for each section. For a recent quote I broke the project into pieces : storyboarding , character design,backgrounds, animatic

This was just the beginning but I can then estimate how much time each will take & how much I will charge per hour. You are wearing many hats as a freelancer - thats the whole aspect of freelancing people love to hate - charge what works for you..not sure about your region but ask around locally to see what the studios are charging. Oh also invoice in pieces - when completed one aspect of the project - invoice and get payment, and include 1 set of revisions in payment - after this charge! I have had clients be easy as pie throughout project - then the revisions come and 6 months later - you realize your working for $1.50 per hour based on revisions...

hth

Edited by Linklater

Well dude , i am in Singapore at the moment. I am charging from 2k for a week job to 80k for the same amount of work. Some of the clients i work for have a minimum budget(so they say) and some are for presentations for conferences so my job is to make the visual and opening for every show.

There are so much factors even when working for a small boutique or as a freelancer.

The good thing of being freelance is that if you charge lots of cash and you do a good work than you can established that same price as your average and more.

Is very difficult now days to define industry standards.

Depends on the country you are, in the states i am sure is different than in Europe or Asia.

Edgard