Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Staake

(HELP!) rendering a 1.5 hour piece?

okay, so i'm looking at 3-4 days to render this 1.5 hour 720x405 beast from AE cs4.

need to ultimately deploy 2 versions, both at 720x405...

- DVD

- Web version for Vimeo, probably a much shorter edit of the full 1.5 hours.

i have somewhat limited HD space (like 100gb)

some questions...

what is the ideal format if I want to render out near lossless frames? normal QT movie with None compression? Animation? Photo JPEG?

I haven't really played with rendering image sequences, would that be the way to go?

thanks for any feedback, I rarely render anything over 5 minutes long...

Edited by Ryan Staake

1.5 hrs (assuming 30fps) is 162,000 frames. AE is unlikely (unable?) to render that as a single QT, so you're looking at image sequences. Worst case scenario, assume 2Mb per frame that's over 300Gb. You're going to need more space...

1.5 hrs (assuming 30fps) is 162,000 frames. AE is unlikely (unable?) to render that as a single QT, so you're looking at image sequences. Worst case scenario, assume 2Mb per frame that's over 300Gb. You're going to need more space...

okay, i won't have bandwidth issues if rendering these frames straight to a firewire drive, correct?

thanks for the speedy feedback btw

there is much beauty in image sequence rendering.

1) any render problems you hit at 3am that stop your render, don't destroy all the thousnads of frames before, you just pick up from frame 9456484939 and go.

2) You can render multiple boxes to the same folder, There have been some good tutorials and a lot of documentation about multi machine proccessing.

3) It's far far less intensive of bandwith that a QT, or an AVI, as it's 1 file at a time.

standard def. LZW compression, you'll be fine w/ storage

Hey aspekt - are you sure he'll be fine? I've just saved a couple of busy-ish LZW compressed TIFs at that size they come in around 500Kb/frame. So you're looking at around 80Gb for the frames alone. Doesn't leave much leeway for output files does it?

1) any render problems you hit at 3am that stop your render, don't destroy all the thousnads of frames before, you just pick up from frame 9456484939 and go.1) any render problems you hit at 3am that stop your render, don't destroy all the thousnads of frames before, you just pick up from frame 9456484939 and go.

Yes, there is a number of reasons why image sequences can be convenient. And for multi-machine rendering is the only way.

But FWIW, AE "closes" Quicktime files every 10 minutes when rendering from the RQ. So you shouldn't loose more than 10 minutes worth of rendered frames when exporting QT files.

yea i got all the frames rendered across 3 machines, now having issue opening the image sequences... anyone know of a sure fire way to open a sequence?

If your project is 8 bpc you could use PNG and get the same quality with lossless files which are easier to handle.

Hey aspekt - are you sure he'll be fine? I've just saved a couple of busy-ish LZW compressed TIFs at that size they come in around 500Kb/frame. So you're looking at around 80Gb for the frames alone. Doesn't leave much leeway for output files does it?

but you did get the tiffs out right?? So why couldn't you just take the TIFFS into your NLE?

Edited by aspekt

But FWIW, AE "closes" Quicktime files every 10 minutes when rendering from the RQ. So you shouldn't loose more than 10 minutes worth of rendered frames when exporting QT files.

God I never knew that- It always seemed arbitrary. Now I know. And knowing is half the battle.

Oh I know it's saved me lots of time, BTW for those who aren't sure what this means for you if you are rendering short projects.

It's not 10min worth of project time rather 10min worth of render time. Just to clear that up.