Sign in to follow this  
Beaver

Apple WWDC 2009

So, any news on Quicktime X yet?

This is interesting:

Video processing in particular could see up to 50 times improved performance on Macs with the new OS, Trevett said. Video decoding could be a lot faster as pixel processing will be distributed across multiple CPU and graphics processing units in a system.

Well the 'up to 50x' is clearly fluff but I wonder how that will affect apps that rely on Quicktime, like AE - I imagine the 'decoding frame' slice of the pie will shrink nicely ;)

Yeah that's pretty steep. Even if they drop the price of the 3G they'll probably only drop it by about $100, so you'll still be paying at least $500 for the 16GB. Hmm. I wonder if you cancel and come right back if you can somehow get the same number? Maybe if you do a magical dance after you walk out the door just before coming back in?

AT&T clarified this later yesterday. Existing iPhone 3G customers have to pay $200 over the subsidized cost of the iPhone 3GS, which comes out to $399 & $499 for the 16 & 32GB, respectively. Once you're 18 months into your contract you can then get the 3GS for the subsidized price with a new two-year contract, etc. Still BS though.

Between this and what Apple is doing with their notebook line they're saving me a lot of money :lol:

Edited by a2visual

Okay this blows. In the US, no tethering (AT&T not ready to implement) and no MMS (AT&T not ready to implement until later in the summer).

I'll be starting a line to kick AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson square in the balls.

-m

I'm starting one to kick Steve Jobs and the CEO of Adobe in the balls. The new iPhone is £274 in the UK and £187 in the US. Adobe have hiked their prices by 10% in the UK and dropped them by 13% in the rest of Europe. In the US CS4 Production Premium is given away free if you save up 10 vouchers (you get one every time you buy a Starbucks). ;)

I'm starting one to kick Steve Jobs and the CEO of Adobe in the balls. The new iPhone is £274 in the UK and £187 in the US. Adobe have hiked their prices by 10% in the UK and dropped them by 13% in the rest of Europe. In the US CS4 Production Premium is given away free if you save up 10 vouchers (you get one every time you buy a Starbucks). ;)

So... you're upset that Americans pay less for software developed by American companies? Not quite the same thing.

I have to pay $2 for a single Lion Bar in Brooklyn!

Out-f*cking-rageous!

-m

AT&T clarified this later yesterday. Existing iPhone 3G customers have to pay $200 over the subsidized cost of the iPhone 3GS, which comes out to $399 & $499 for the 16 & 32GB, respectively. Once you're 18 months into your contract you can then get the 3GS for the subsidized price with a new two-year contract, etc. Still BS though.

Between this and what Apple is doing with their notebook line they're saving me a lot of money :lol:

Wow, they could have said something about that... I didn't even think to look at AT&T. For $200-300, that's a great deal.

they have taken the express card slot off the 15 inch macbook pros

so no esata raids or any of the new expresscard hd io boxes that were shown at nab

so i have to buy a 17inch meh

This is interesting:

Video processing in particular could see up to 50 times improved performance on Macs with the new OS, Trevett said. Video decoding could be a lot faster as pixel processing will be distributed across multiple CPU and graphics processing units in a system.

I wonder if that means the unibody MBP's will be able to use both graphics chips at once? I thought it was kind of dumb putting two GPU's in one laptop but maybe I was wrong...

Edited by kitkats

So... you're upset that Americans pay less for software developed by American companies? Not quite the same thing.

Nice.

Unlike Lion Bars. Have you tried a StarBar? Now that's worth paying $2 for.

they have taken the express card slot off the 15 inch macbook pros

so no esata raids or any of the new expresscard hd io boxes that were shown at nab

so i have to buy a 17inch meh

This is the dumbest move Apple has made, right behind not including a matte screen for the 15".

Glad I got the unibody MBP before they did this. I did get used to the screen. One day I shall replace the screen to matte when I have the dire need.

This is the dumbest move Apple has made, right behind not including a matte screen for the 15".

Glad I got the unibody MBP before they did this. I did get used to the screen. One day I shall replace the screen to matte when I have the dire need.

As I tend to agree, I don't think Apple is really looking at the real "pro" market much anymore. I think anyone that works at Apple, and who may be familiar with the needs of design, video, 3D, etc professionals, knows that things like Express Card and FW400 are somewhat essential to their work. Express card is definitely a smaller market than Firewire, but still very useful to the many people who use shoot on P2 cards and use the Duel Adapter. The positioning of their notebooks seem more geared towards consumer tastes, but we've all seen that coming anyways.

I really like the concept of a (mostly) performance and efficiency based upgrade, as Snow Leopard seems to be. Unfortunately, the history of technology that requires developers to recode in order to take advantage of it isn't all that great. We heard lots of 50x performance increase talk back in the AltiVec days too, but at the end of the day Macs were never really faster than PC's. Grand Central Dispatch looks promising, but I'm not going to get excited about it until crazy fast things are happening on my computer and not in marketing materials. It's amazing how quickly 50x faster becomes 10% faster once you get down to real world use. I'll be happy to eat crow on this one should this technology actually live up to the hype though.

My vote for the dumbest Apple move was the "non-standard sunken headphone jack" on the first iPhone.

I'm still waiting to buy new Cinema displays with matte screens.

-m

Am I the only one who does not care if a laptop does not have a matte screen? They way i see it, if you are that worried about color you are going to run if through final QC on a monitor with scopes etc. Not go by what it looks like on my laptop monitor every time i tilt the screen to a new angle.

My one gripe with the new laptops is i would of rather of had a compact flash card slot instead of an sd card slot. you can plug a sd card into a compact flash card holder but not the other way around. i could see the sd card slot in the mac book line but not the pro line.

Am I the only one who does not care if a laptop does not have a matte screen? They way i see it, if you are that worried about color you are going to run if through final QC on a monitor with scopes etc. Not go by what it looks like on my laptop monitor every time i tilt the screen to a new angle.

My one gripe with the new laptops is i would of rather of had a compact flash card slot instead of an sd card slot. you can plug a sd card into a compact flash card holder but not the other way around. i could see the sd card slot in the mac book line but not the pro line.

I'm w/ you 100% on all accounts.

I've been on the developer beta of Snow Leopard for a couple days now. It is definitely faster in just about every way. The first thing I noticed was that after I upgraded, I had about 7GB more free space on my HD, presumably from the lack of support for non-intel chips. I lost preferences for a few apps, by a few I mean like 2 out of 100. Also some of my preference-pane based utilities, like iStat Menus, no longer work. But I've seen many more pros than cons.

Stacks are actually useable now, you can scroll and navigate directories from within the stack pop-up. There are a lot of little visual touch-ups, when you delete a file from the desktop the other icons smoothly move to their new locations. The finder has be rewritten and it's not easy to tell by looking at it, but when you start digging through directories, the speed difference is noticeable.

I'm a bit torn on the new Quicktime. I'm not that into the play controls being overlaid on my video. Something I think is mildly strange is that the movie window is borderless but has rounded corners, so theres a few pixels at each corner being hidden. It's not a big deal, I've just never seen a video player purposely hide information from me. The in/out points aren't there anymore. When you select 'Trim...' from the edit menu, it brings up a different timeline interface for selecting in/out points. The screen recording works pretty well, although it seems you can only record the entire screen at once, not select a section or a window. You have the option of 'Medium' or 'High' quality and the option to select an audio input source.

The biggest difference is that the rhythm of the system has changed. Everything just seems a little smoother and a little faster. C4D is running in 64bit mode like butter. A lot less hiccups and waiting for the system to catch-up. The Adobe apps seem slightly faster too. I think Apple's new threading system is legit.

Edited by Albert Omoss