Sign in to follow this  
dontswimtoshore

reel posted, looking for thoughts

Hi there. Can we get some background info first? A "hello" and maybe a real short history of your education or work experience? Your expectations or intent for the reel? Anything? It's almost like you're treating this like a reel dropbox. Dump it in the slot and it magically reappears in 2 business days with some notes attached. :)

Hi there. Can we get some background info first? A "hello" and maybe a real short history of your education or work experience? Your expectations or intent for the reel? Anything? It's almost like you're treating this like a reel dropbox. Dump it in the slot and it magically reappears in 2 business days with some notes attached. :)

sure can; sorry. I'm 23, finished school with a "New Media" degree in dec. 2007, and have been working as production artist in Flash/CSS/pshop/AE/Illustrator etc for the last year +, but I really want to start focusing on mograph work, which I enjoy the most and ultimately want to do exclusively. I've been poking around looking for junior motion design gigs and finally put a site/reel together to hopefully start showing potential employers. I've only just started working in Cinema4D, which I am really loving.

I'm certainly no pro, but I'm a sucker for learning and want to get into an environment that will both challenge and teach me.

Cool. Thanks, the context helps a lot.

So, I think you probably already know where this reel is succeeding and where it's flagging. You're putting all of your chips in one place, namely where the music explodes at :22, and that's a great moment, but you ideally want a reel FULL of great moments. The inconsistency is mostly because you don't have much material yet. Some of your trapcode Flow experiments are ok, and there are a few other choice cuts (fat rocker with light saber, well shot, well cut... but i'm guessing you didn't shoot it), but you're putting all of this other stuff in there that you really shouldn't be, for the sake of filling out 1minute+ and it's dragging the better stuff down. So your options are to either cut the montage way down, or make some new awesome stuff to replace the losers.

Replacement is ultimately the challenge you want to take on, but to keep the 1:20 running time with the same audio, you're either going to have to make a lot of stuff or make some really epic edits. And that's primarily because the audio you've chosen needs a hefty load of visuals to keep up with it. Think about the audio and the visual as a pair of pro wrestlers. You want to pair them up so they have an exciting match, but right now the audio is like this 300lb muscle rack on meth and the video is a socially awkward 16yr old kid in mismatched socks, a boy scouts "Summer-of-'98 Adventures!" t-shirt, and baggy shorts. It's not gonna make for a good match. You want them to be evenly paired. You want them to throw each other around, as opposed to one slamming the other constantly while laughing. They should play off of each other. They should compliment. Two karate champions flowing furiously around each other in a balance of wit and fist. You could pair your kid with a similarly disheveled audio nerd, but that's gonna be a lame match too, so start packing some muscle on your man.

Start with your intro/title and endcard thing. Seriously, you could rock that a hell of a lot harder. How about actually making something instead of running a camera through some semi-transparent primitives? How about a mood, or an environment, or a concept, or a micro-narrative, or anything really? Ask yourself some questions about what it is that you're making and why. Knowing "why" you're doing it can really help you make something satisfying in the end, because you always have reasons for doing one thing versus another, and then in the end you have something against which you can measure your success (meaning: you'll know whether you're failing or succeeding in achieving your goals).

I think you've got it in you. There's some good looking stuff in there amongst the weaker stuff. You just need to rock 100x harder so you can get rid of that old shit, and you'll learn the design/animation stuff along the way. Keep on it.

Edited by Binky

For such a strong track as New Noise, I would have expected much more of a fast-paced reel with tons of quick edits after the song takes off.

My recommendation? Cut the lead in of the song immediately after your intro title so that the explosion really shows off your work. And clip the reel to probably less than a second. If you don't have a ton of work, don't feel like you have to fill up time. Just work with what you have.

The goal is to be yourself and be transparent with where you're at.

Cool. Thanks, the context helps a lot.

So, I think you probably already know where this reel is succeeding and where it's flagging. You're putting all of your chips in one place, namely where the music explodes at :22, and that's a great moment, but you ideally want a reel FULL of great moments. The inconsistency is mostly because you don't have much material yet. Some of your trapcode Flow experiments are ok, and there are a few other choice cuts (fat rocker with light saber, well shot, well cut... but i'm guessing you didn't shoot it), but you're putting all of this other stuff in there that you really shouldn't be, for the sake of filling out 1minute+ and it's dragging the better stuff down. So your options are to either cut the montage way down, or make some new awesome stuff to replace the losers.

Replacement is ultimately the challenge you want to take on, but to keep the 1:20 running time with the same audio, you're either going to have to make a lot of stuff or make some really epic edits. And that's primarily because the audio you've chosen needs a hefty load of visuals to keep up with it. Think about the audio and the visual as a pair of pro wrestlers. You want to pair them up so they have an exciting match, but right now the audio is like this 300lb muscle rack on meth and the video is a socially awkward 16yr old kid in mismatched socks, a boy scouts "Summer-of-'98 Adventures!" t-shirt, and baggy shorts. It's not gonna make for a good match. You want them to be evenly paired. You want them to throw each other around, as opposed to one slamming the other constantly while laughing. They should play off of each other. They should compliment. Two karate champions flowing furiously around each other in a balance of wit and fist. You could pair your kid with a similarly disheveled audio nerd, but that's gonna be a lame match too, so start packing some muscle on your man.

Start with your intro/title and endcard thing. Seriously, you could rock that a hell of a lot harder. How about actually making something instead of running a camera through some semi-transparent primitives? How about a mood, or an environment, or a concept, or a micro-narrative, or anything really? Ask yourself some questions about what it is that you're making and why. Knowing "why" you're doing it can really help you make something satisfying in the end, because you always have reasons for doing one thing versus another, and then in the end you have something against which you can measure your success (meaning: you'll know whether you're failing or succeeding in achieving your goals).

I think you've got it in you. There's some good looking stuff in there amongst the weaker stuff. You just need to rock 100x harder so you can get rid of that old shit, and you'll learn the design/animation stuff along the way. Keep on it.

thanks man...I'm not sure where to start. I agree about the titlecard thing; it's actually the first thing I ever tried in C4D, so I was just trying to wrap my brain around it a little at that point. I'll rock it a hell of a lot harder once I build the chops up ;) Also, as far as mood/narrative; I thought a reel was supposed to be a representation of other projects/narratives that altogether showcase the type of work you do and your skillset, and not necessarily a narrative within itself with its own concept (although it obviously should flow as its own piece).

What else should I lose? I am worried that I overloaded it with type treatments, and probably should pull things like the kaleidoscope-y shit and animated character. Also, some of the work was screencapture of flash pieces, something the viewer may need to poke around the site a little to see in action, but I felt demonstrated decent animation techniques.

I'm glad you like the lightsaber dude, I almost didnt include him. I didnt shoot the video, no, I was just sent a ton of clips to insert "Ghostbusters-style" effects in. check it out here: http://vimeo.com/4023468, its pretty ridiculous.

thanks again for your feedback. the socially awkward kid inside me feels a little beat up, but it's cool, he's already learning the crane moves from miyagi for next time.

thanks again for your feedback. the socially awkward kid inside me feels a little beat up, but it's cool, he's already learning the crane moves from miyagi for next time.

great attitude man... The first two time I posted, I got my ass kicked too.Keep checking out the stuff other people post and what works and what doesn't and you'll be better equipped to know what to do with your own. We're like a big happy family here... I even get yelled at sometimes by senior members for over stepping my bounds...

welcome.

Edited by philmadelphia

thanks man...I'm not sure where to start. I agree about the titlecard thing; it's actually the first thing I ever tried in C4D, so I was just trying to wrap my brain around it a little at that point. I'll rock it a hell of a lot harder once I build the chops up ;) Also, as far as mood/narrative; I thought a reel was supposed to be a representation of other projects/narratives that altogether showcase the type of work you do and your skillset, and not necessarily a narrative within itself with its own concept (although it obviously should flow as its own piece).

You're right. A graphics reel is generally a platter sampler, not an entree. I'm referring specifically to your title card and the idea that you can take the opportunity to convey something with it. It could just be something formally intriguing, or it could hold interest on multiple levels. The title card is a first impression, so make it a good one. Overall, absolutely try things in C4D, and try some cel animation, and try filming some stuff in an effort to learn and expand your repertoire. Fail, and fail hard when you can. But use your failures and attempts as research into making successes and use those successes in your reel. A reel should demonstrate strengths, not weaknesses, so edit yourself.

What else should I lose?

It'll be a process of evolution. You'll slowly push out the old material to make way for better new stuff. Your choices about what to include or leave out are part of what inform your audience about who you are, what you do, and how well you do it. So take a look at what you've included and figure out whether you want it to represent you or not.