Sign in to follow this  
Lab 316

1st Reel

You show a lot of competency in motion production. But design and typography is where your attention should focus. That's your bread and butter.

thanks for the reply!

when you say that is where i should focus, do you mean in general? as in 'that's where the most business is'? Or that is where my skill set lies?

Oh, boy. Where to start?

Your reel makes me feel very ambivalent. There are some okay (if cliche) pieces that show potential (your name reveal, the Lab 316 logo resolve, etc.), but there's so much garbage mixed in that I have to conclude that you just don't have an eye for what's good in your own work yet.

The pacing is also way, way too slow, and there's too much non-mograph work mixed in (at least where I stopped watching, at about halfway through) that splinters the direction and purpose of the reel.

What mjoshua may have been getting at, in a tactfully oblique way, is that you need a lot of work in refining your design aesthetic, especially as regards typography. Some of your pieces are okay, but too many of them scream "infomercial" or "public access television" at me.

So, my ambivalence derives from seeing this glimmer of potential that is enshrouded within a haze of awkward amateurism. All I can advise is to keep practicing, and most emphatically, to study design.

I'm not trying to break your spirit, but rather, offering a dose of reality. Best of luck.

What mjoshua may have been getting at, in a tactfully oblique way, is that you need a lot of work in refining your design aesthetic, especially as regards typography.

Some of your pieces are okay, but too many of them scream "infomercial" or "public access television" at me.

Which pieces strike you as this?

Thanks for your great input leahzero, that is just what i was looking for, some great critique!

i had to watch on mute. The music is HORRIBLE!!!

really?? lol, i rather enjoy that song

i like your reel Brian, very nice! workster stuff, very cool

Edited by Lab 316

Cut the reel WAAAAAYYYY down, and yeah I would definitely ditch the music.

Just keep exploring different ways of motion & expanding your style. You seem to know a lot of technical skills, but really need to branch out and try new things...keep at it!