Sign in to follow this  
philmadelphia

I like Blender

I started my 3D experience with Maya PLE... I was doing fluid sims and I thought I was pretty sweet... with one problem... I couldn't render without that lame water mark...

So I downloaded Blender... at first I had no idea what to do, the interface was strange and unlike anything I've ever used... but after time I began to really like it... alot of the hot keys were easy to remember and I began to make some cool stuff...

Then after I got comfortable I learned that Cinema 4D is what everyone uses and if your not using Cinema, Maya, or 3DS, then you're going to be left out in the cold... so I downloaded Cinema 4D and started working on tutorials... and I hate it... it doesn't do anything that I'd expect it to... I want to go back to Blender...

They just release version 2.49... could Blender become more acceptable... maybe version 2.5? All's I know is I really don't like Cinema...

Anyone who switches to a new 3d app is going to find themselves wishing it was more like the app they were using before. I use 3dsmax now, but before that the only program I could afford was Lightwave. Even though Max is much more powerful, I always find myself wishing I could grab a bunch of tools from Lightwave and cram them into Max.

I can only hope that someday in the far science fiction future when we all have brain chips, all software will be modular in some way so you can take tools from any program and pop them into another.

Well, if you can do great work in Blender, that is indistinguishable from other apps, then sure--use it. If you are a freelancer, then it doesnt matter what you use in most cases as long as you can do the work. If you are looking to work for a studio somewhere, and will be collaborating with other artists, sharing files and whatnot, it would be more of an issue then. You may find blender being used in some studios, maybe for the fluids--but odds are would be at the discretion of the artist with or without the "higher-ups" knowledge. If you like it then stick with it, but be prepared to be a bit of an outsider in that respect (much like the c4d users were 5 years ago)

Im curious however as a long time c4d user, to understand what it is you are not liking or having problems with. I started out using Form Z and Electric Image a long time ago--those apps were as anti user friendly as you could get (at least FZ) Discovering C4d was like a fresh breeze.

By the way, if you were getting somewhere with maya, then why not just stick with that? You wont have problems finding studios that use it. All you got to do to get rid of the lame watermark is buy it. If this is your career direction then its a smart (albeit expensive) investment.

Edited by JoelD

It's not likely that Blender will ever become significantly used in professional environments. It's a good piece of software, yes, but being open source, it simply doesn't have the kind of development resources that go into C4D, Maya, Max, et al. When you start doing more complex 3D projects, you'll understand the capabilities of each application, and why the commercial apps are used instead of the free apps.

I also agree with JoelD. I've used several major 3D apps before settling on C4D, in large part because the C4D interface and workflow is so streamlined, intuitive, and modern in comparison to old titans like Maya and Max. I'm curious why you found it difficult to use, and suspect it may be a case of liking what you're familiar with.

I know this is the exception rather than the rule but I have seen people using Blender professionaly. One nice thing is because it's free you can install it at any studio (if the IT people will let you:), of course if they have a big well established pipeline this is a no go. I'm thinking of trying to learn Blender for this reason, also as am just starting to play around with 3D it's hard to justify the purchase of an additional license of C4D for the tiny bit of 3D I would do.

Of course as has been discussed in many threads C4D is by far and away the industry standard...except a lot of places are using Maya, Max, XSI. I'm sure once you know a 3D app well it's easy to jump around but when you are starting this is quite a challenge so maybe Blender is a good solution to this.

As for what the future might hold for Blender in the industry I wouldn't pretend to know, producers like free so that's a plus for Blender but established ways of doing things are slow to change.

I'd give Cinema a chance though it's always frustrating when you get used to the way one app works and then jump into a new one where figuring everything out is a challenge again.

Then after I got comfortable I learned that Cinema 4D is what everyone uses and if your not using Cinema, Maya, or 3DS, then you're going to be left out in the cold...

I don't use those and I'm doing alright working with shops all over.

I have to agree with monovich, I've used 4D, Lightwave, and Electric Image back in the day. I've finally settled on blender because it can do a lot of stuff the other software packages can. Can it do everything, No. One nice thing in my situation is I work in a small market so most places I have worked don't have 3D packages and can't afford them, not a problem with Blender. I also always like to point out Rustboy which was created using infini-D. It shows that the software is just a small part of the equation, what's more important are your abilities as an artist.

I remember the guy who modeled Gollum in LOTR, Bay Raitt, used an obscure packaged called Mirai. Nobody cared what he used, because everything he created could fit into their pipeline after conversion. Here's Raitt at work:

It worked because Raitt was very very good. The rule seems to be, the more 'off the beaten path' your tool, the better you need to be with your results. It'd make for a parabolic graph of some kind. That's just reality creeping in, for the reasons Joel said above (working in teams, needing work that others can update a year later when you're not available, all kinds of team reasons). Having great results overrides these practical concerns for some studios, and it also helps having a long-term good relationships with clients. That way, when updates are needed, they know you're around to do them, so it doesn't matter what you've used.

XSI?

Lightwave, but as Govinda said, its about results and relationships, not the app.

On top of that there seems to always be a pipleline between apps wether it be obj, collada, mdd, fbx, or some other geeky intermediary.

and I hate it... it doesn't do anything that I'd expect it to... I want to go back to Blender...

They just release version 2.49... could Blender become more acceptable... maybe version 2.5? All's I know is I really don't like Cinema...

weird. I've just finished learning (hah! as if...) c4d and it is streets ahead in terms of useability, modernity and core functionality than Blender. I'm not sure what you're expecting Cinema to do differently but like most others here I suspect this is a case of unfamiliarity breeding contempt. Don't get me wrong, I love Blender and will continue to use it alongside C4d and whatever else. If it bothers you that much, do the bits you love in Blender (I'm guessing modelling here?) and do the rest in Cinema.

Dan