Sign in to follow this  
supaidaaman

AE curves are killing me

Im doing a project with camera work that has a lot of slow - then fast - then slow again motion. I can eventually abuse the curves enough to get them to be 97% where I want them to be, but its never exactly what I wanted.

Ive also just started working in maya and the curve editor is amazingly adjustable. What the hell was adobe thinking when they made theirs?

Is there a simple solution for importing maya camera data, so I wouldnt have to deal with AE....

I feel like im missing some button in AE that says "make curve editor usable"

any ideas?

Edited by supaidaaman

AE curves aren't controllable enough, maya's curve editor rocks my world.

Are there any hidden AE curve secrets to share before I give up on it, and do my camera work in maya?

Edited by supaidaaman

fairly easy to import maya data by baking the maya cam and saving as a maya ascii file.

there's no secret to ae cams, just have to be patient and methodical in your curve tweaking. one thing you could try is having separate nulls for the x y and z axis respectively. Then you can animate the camera in a more nuanced manner.

Hmm.....maybe I am missing something,....but single parameter channels (like scale, rot..etc) work fine. Nice, normal adjustable bevels.

For multichannel parameters like position, I use the Seperate X,Y,Z animation controller, which gives nice, normal curves and seperate keyframes/channels for X,Y,Z.

'Bout as normal as it gets if you do it that way?

there is an issue ive noticed with that though, that often after that separate command, some of the keyframe points have short perpendicular little tangents that you have to kind of reset to smooth, only after ram previewing and seeing a bunch of little kinks in your just x,y,z separated camera path.

Hmmm.......I have never noticed that.

After you initially apply the Seperate X,Y,Z controller,........and then start setting keys for you unique x,y,z channels the keyframes default to linear. And you must change them to Bezier, and then the handles act as normal as they would in any other app that supports bezier curves.

Im not talking about the camera move as a whole. Im already using separated xyz... Im talking about its velocity curve.

The camera is only moving down on the y axis. It begins slow, ramps up speed, then slows down ALOT to show some text, then it ramps up speed. And repeats this proccess once again.

So basically this.

curves.jpg

Which according to my tweaking is impossible.

If someone can do this in the velocity editor.... I want to know how you did it.

Hmmm.....I guess im missing your point. Sorry.

I would do this using keyframes in the Y axis.

And I would adjust the handles of those keys in the value graph, NOT the speed graph. And I could easily acheive the motion you describe, as well as the curve you show.

Always hated the "speed graph." Unfortunately lots of people are used to it, so I think that prevents Adobe from replacing it outright with a better system. They need to take a good look at a real curves editor and implement it for CS5. I know the separate XYZ thing is there, but it's usually more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

Like mete_shop said, sometimes it's easier to animate in maya then import. I do this a lot with C4D. I've done entire scenes with placeholder objects just so I wouldn't have to animate anything in AE.

Thanks mete, that looks about right. It seems I wasnt thinking it through quite right. B)

Still wish I could grab handles in the speed graph similar to the handles on the mask tool/path editor

I was in the process of putting together a little sample when mete posted his...but here's a link anyway:

CamTest.aep

For camera1 I used the same method as mete...with one keyframe every time I wanted a dip in velocity then shaped the velocity curve. For camera2 I got a more exaggerated version by animating a general downward motion...then setting a key every time a word entered the frame and every time one was about to leave. Then I spread those keys apart so that section took more time and the motion between words would take less. Then I worked the curve to smooth it out.

I know its probably not gonna help much now...but since I already did it I figured I'd share it.