Sign in to follow this  
culpfiction

Motion Design reel

Hey all, mad respect to the community here. I want to introduce myself by posting my latest reel, which is all of my best work to date. I am proud of it, and I hope you will rip it apart.

I'm currently freelance motion designing, with the goal of finding a job as a (presumably) junior motion designer at a talented studio/design firm.

So tell me what you think! Reel: http://www.culpfiction.com

Some things I hope to receive feedback on:

- what shots you think are best

- what shots you think are terrible

- what type of work would be beneficial in improving my reel, that I can work on in the future

- am I skilled enough to land a full time gig at a talented company?

- any other thoughts/critique welcomed!

Thanks in advance for your kindness and heartbreakingly cruel critiques.

My thoughts:

It's a nice reel and you have a lot of interesting shots however there are some areas I would work on. Firstly, I'd do something with your title intro. its the first thing we see so I believe it should be something very nice, clean, interesting , etc. Also I'd loose some of your menu design shots (specifically the 'about us' page and a few others). The sun tan lotion shot is a little interesting but kind of creeped me out the first time I saw it ha ha. Overall though I also think that this reel would do better with a shorter faster and more speedy edit.

Edited by fetusface

Thanks for the feedback fetusface,

I'd have no problem ditching those menu shots. The Will Ferrell shot is really basic, not much going on... what I was going for is any sort of name/brand recognition in hopes of giving me street cred. Haha. I completely agree with you about the title intro... I'll think up some ideas and design something clean and interesting.

Edited by culpfiction

hey, I like your keying. Also most of the graphics are clean, different styles, nice work. I would remove too the part with the lotion, maybe leave just the last shot if you really want it to be in the reel. And that after life shot doesn`t bring much, too dark and slow, doesn`t go well with the other part.

Thanks for your feedback guys, it's much appreciated!

I plan on doing a re-edit soon to change some of your suggestions, especially removing the lotion shot & afterlife.

spikeville, your post has me confused. What are you talking about?

Wtf? How did you decide that the mograph community was going to be best served by your analysis of peoples works? Its great that we share our thoughts in a thread.. But to me it seems that if you're going to start ripping into people on your own website that you are putting yourself in a position of authority (how many times did you say "what the fuck dude?"). I'm not saying your opinions aren't valid.. But is it really necessary? IMO there are a handful of people's opinions that I truly respect on here and I enjoy seeing them in a discussion. I feel like video critiques kind of take away from the discussion and thus especially in chris's case might have less of a positive effect..

Though what do I know.. The showcase section has been pretty weak since 2006. Thank goodness for binkys contributions :lol:

Posted a video critique of this reel here: http://www.leahraeder.com/critique/reel-critique-chris-culp/

Cheers again, Chris.

There were obviously some misconceptions here arising from the lack of context. For the record, the critique was consensual, and Chris responded favorably to it. However, this clearly wasn't evident to everyone from the reactions in this thread, so for the sake of avoiding needless drama, I've taken it down.

Cheers all.

Edited by leahzero

My two cents:

1.) I think her intentions were good (she contacted culpfiction first).

2.) I think she was trying to be conversational with the "wtf, dude" remarks. Obviously, could be taken the wrong way by some people.

3.) I think something like this is almost impossible for someone to pull off without pissing people off or taking it the wrong way.

So many people have blogs and are using them for different reasons. It's hard to differentiate yourself. I kind of see the thought process.

She tried something. Judging by the comments on her blog, some people liked it.

It is what it is.

For outsiders like myself who haven't been frequenting this site to see your day to day posts on this forum, it definitely comes across as a tad pretentious and condescending. Just my 2c. I do like your tutorials section however.

cheers!

My two cents:

1.) I think her intentions were good (she contacted culpfiction first).

2.) I think she was trying to be conversational with the "wtf, dude" remarks. Obviously, could be taken the wrong way by some people.

3.) I think something like this is almost impossible for someone to pull off without pissing people off or taking it the wrong way.

So many people have blogs and are using them for different reasons. It's hard to differentiate yourself. I kind of see the thought process.

She tried something. Judging by the comments on her blog, some people liked it.

It is what it is.

agreed. I also think that by linking the visuals more with the critique it allowed for a broader interpretation of the reel, ie i was able to take away more because it was more easy to see what she thought about what was working and what wasn't.

When I get a new reel up, I'd sign up, I've seen enough of Leah's posts to trust her opinion...

I missed this whole exchange, but as Leah said, she asked me about it first - and in fact I was excited about her doing it, knowing it would be harsh. I asked to be ripped apart here in the first place. To have someone critique my work shot-by-shot is very encouraging.

Leah is a talented designer. And may I speak authoritatively for the rest of us who are working hard to break into this industry in a real way - we respect the personal/subjective/objective opinions of any talented designer. Whether it contains crude language or is spoken condescendingly isn't even a factor - not that I took it that way at all. Honest, objective feedback is hard to come by.

So, hopefully a few sour grapes won't distract you from helping more people in the future, as much as you've helped me. It would be a shame if you never again swore at someone's reel and recorded it!

Edited by culpfiction

I dont think video crits are a bad idea. I suppose I just reacted to the delivery.. I definitely don't want to disuade you from contributing your opinions and such. We all have our mondays around here ;)

It's not worth this kind of drama. Removed the post and will be refraining from doing more of these.

Everyone calm down and have a beer or your poison of choice, please.