Sign in to follow this  
deceasar

Critique and ideas on Text Animation EDIT: Vs.2

Here is a project that i don't want to call complete but it was just something I had to throw together for a client in a few days.

http://vimeo.com/5294808

pass: nate

I've been trying to learn Cinema 4D and incorporate more 3D elements whether it just text, camera mapping, camera tracking etc. but they have been quite the challenges.

My main area is video so I spend a lot more time doing that.

This is all AE with some audio editing in Premiere.

Anyways the phone and different items were not designed by me . But other than that I did the rest. all the animating and text.

I know this doesn't touch the quality of a lot of you guys out there. You all really blow my mind.

Thanks for watching and for any input you might have.

EDIT:

Hey guys i just wanted to throw up the final. I changed a few things. I want to work on this more but i had to have it done by this afternoon so.

Here's the final.

Thanks for your input guys.

Vs.2

Edited by pizzamangood

this is definitely pretty good for a few days work.

watch those ragged left edges on the type. and do something to give that 3d stroke thing at the end a little more depth and you're good to go.

watch those ragged left edges on the type

are jagged edges caused by the "position" in AE? like if it's at 23.4 instead of 23? I hope that question made sense.

I'll see if I can play around with that stroke some more.

Thanks for you advice mete!

no, "ragged left" and "ragged right" are type terms. it simply refers to the type's alignment. mograph.net's format is left-aligned and ragged right, for example. it's very rare that type would be ragged left as english is read from left to right.

the part that i'm talking about is 10 seconds in.

Mete is referring to the fact that the 2 line text block you have is not left aligned. In print when the lines don't align it's called ragged alignment.

transform' a marketer's....

and measurable....

instead of

transforms a marketer's...

and measurable...

I agree about the arrow at the end. It seems odd that the tip of the arrow is behind the phone. I would think that you'd want it to be in front so it's actually pointing at something. One thing that was a little awkward for legibility was the red dots that appear in front of the "I'LL TELL YOU" line. There's a little group of them right by the apostrophe in "I'LL" that make the type a little less clear.

Also make sure to be careful with the background gradient and banding. Depending on what compression you'll be using for the final you'll want more or less (most likely more) noise on it to fight back the banding monster.

Otherwise, looking good. Particularly for a sort production period.

Edited by SaintEfan

oh! Okay. duh. When you said ragged I was thinking the edges of the text weren't smooth.

yeah I need to fix that.

Thanks guys.

I agree about the arrow at the end. It seems odd that the tip of the arrow is behind the phone

I wanted/trying to show that the data is leaving the phone and coming back into the phone. An idea to do that better?

Thanks Saint for all the info.

That's one thing I was wondering about the banding. When I compressed the video, it was looking mighty banded. And I was trying to figure out how to fix that.

I feel like I'm still fairly new to all this stuff even though I've been playing with it for a while. So thanks for being patient with me when it comes to terms and different things.

I wanted/trying to show that the data is leaving the phone and coming back into the phone. An idea to do that better?

I dont think he means to get away from the arrow all together. Maybe put the arrow point in front of the phone. and also earlier, when the arrow begins to bend, put the bend in front of the phone. that may help with depth.

One thing i noticed was the "What is Jag Tag?" title is in the background too long, you might want to dissolve it subtley during one of the moves

youve done a great job