Sign in to follow this  
SaintEfan

Gridiron: Flow

We all know that some projects can become a cluster-f*ck when it comes to assets, references, versions, etc. Whether it's someone not conforming to naming standards, ad hoc solutions that never get fixed, or just overall poor asset control. Just wondering if anyone has tried this tool.

If so you, do you find it worthwhile? Did it take too much getting used to? Did it require alterations to workflow or a ton of setup and preferences-tweaking?

We all know that some projects can become a cluster-f*ck when it comes to assets, references, versions, etc. Whether it's someone not conforming to naming standards, ad hoc solutions that never get fixed, or just overall poor asset control. Just wondering if anyone has tried this tool.

If so you, do you find it worthwhile? Did it take too much getting used to? Did it require alterations to workflow or a ton of setup and preferences-tweaking?

Flow does everything automatically, which is the beauty of it. No need to adjust anything. It's really okay. It's quite interesting to see a network grow. It has its quirks, both in UI and the feature set, but for a v1 I've seen worse tools. In my case it ever seemed to do what I wanted (the search function is just downright lame, didn't find my fonts and other stuff and took forever, which also affected the packaging feature), so after the first two public Betas I stopped using it. Also the display of those noodles in the graph network can go pretty out of whack, with certain connections, so in those cases it not necessarily is more clear than looking at your files in Finder/ Explorer. Those issues may however be fixed in time for final release, so I may give it a try again then....

Mylenium

Here's another program that tells you when your files are missing. Well where the hell did my files go? No one knows - because you can't write clairvoyant software. The only way to stay organized is to stay organized.

In another thread someone was talking about the ridiculous complexity of most software nowadays. That is spot on in this case. Had they written a program that *only* did the auto-time-tracking thing, and worked very simply, and sold it for $9.99, they would have a winner.

The time tracking feature did look pretty neat, but ultimately what I was excited about was the ability to package stuff up so easily. I hate getting a massive project home to work on over the weekend only to find that someone made a reference to a file in a different project rather than copy it to the current project. A little disappointed to hear that the packaging was kinda sketchy in the prerelease versions.

I thought it was good for working with adobe products...outside of that, not so good...also I don't so much see the need for it if you have a good centralized file structure that all artists adhere to.

I thought it was good for working with adobe products...outside of that, not so good...

Depends on whether you consider support for Word, Final Cut or Cinema 4D as important or not, I guess. ;-) For those formats the only real problem I see, is the limitation of the tool working on a per-file basis. Especially with not publicly documented formats such as C4D's scene format, there is only so much info you can extract with a little studying of the file format. So it may be able to tell you what textures are referenced, but not whether they actually are used anywhere and if, in what form. Still, IMO a lot better than other asset tracking solutions that introduce their own file managers and work with explicit check-in/ check-out or require you to install specific plug-ins in your app...

Mylenium

In another thread someone was talking about the ridiculous complexity of most software nowadays. That is spot on in this case. Had they written a program that *only* did the auto-time-tracking thing, and worked very simply, and sold it for $9.99, they would have a winner.

http://manictime.com/