Sign in to follow this  
wabbits

giving away tricks?

I think depending on the situation you may or may not be morally obligated to share your techniques.

Situation 1: You came up with something while billing hours for the project, and spent a long time doing it. Ok, you should probably include this with the source files. The client really paid you to come up with it.

Situation 2: You spent a boatload of your own personal time writing some special expression that kicked major ass and made everything awesome. You then used this to aid you in a project. Ok, keep it to yourself, because you created it so you could have it in your toolbox, to give you an edge. The client didn't pay you to come up with this expression just like they didn't pay you for a copy of AE. They're paying you for your time on the project.

I think depending on the situation you may or may not be morally obligated to share your techniques.

Situation 1: You came up with something while billing hours for the project, and spent a long time doing it. Ok, you should probably include this with the source files. The client really paid you to come up with it.

Situation 2: You spent a boatload of your own personal time writing some special expression that kicked major ass and made everything awesome. You then used this to aid you in a project. Ok, keep it to yourself, because you created it so you could have it in your toolbox, to give you an edge. The client didn't pay you to come up with this expression just like they didn't pay you for a copy of AE. They're paying you for your time on the project.

Or you can be like Beaver and give away your kick ass expressions for free over the Internets ;)

He shouldn't even call them tricks because they are real MAGIK.

ILLUSIONS, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money.

MV5BMTQwODg0ODgzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTEwOTI3._V1._SX402_SY400_.jpg

Edited by stutts

Hmm. Maybe one poster above identified an important difference: Freelance work (normally by time or job), vs. selling Templates?

I agree with all the comments about the sharing we all do and enjoy from others in the community; but if you come to the end of a freelance job and the client now wants you to package everything you did as templates that they can re-use endlessly, it feels a bit like they're pulling a fast one. Making templates is like developing software, and not the same kind of work as freelance labour, even design (creative) labour. Developers get paid per license/copy of their software, and if that software is developed for the *exclusive* use of one client, then they would expect to get paid significantly more.

Should one reserve the right to say perhaps:

A. No, I don't do templates, I work by the hour (or the quote)

B. OK, but templates is software development, it's not labour; you have to be prepared for a higher one-time fee.

I think the question at hand is how does one handle this exactly? Of course many, maybe even most artists now give away a lot of "tricks" for free on their blogs and such, but a lot of the same people *sell* certain project files and templates, just like stock footage, and just like shareware.

Edited by Lu Nelson