Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel Rocha

3D Globe With 3D Stroke

hello there,

I`m trying to build a 3D globe on 3D Stroke. Its pretty basic and will work only as a simple element on my composition. But i want to be able to have full control on it on a Null layer. Like Rotation and position.

It basically works almost 100%.

I can control the position on a 3D space, and some rotation. BUT, i can control all the axis.

I have no idea why, so far for me, it doesnt make sense. if i rotate it on the X axis it works perfect, but if i rotate Y or Z some or all of the axis wont rotate properly.

here is the file if anyone fell like having a look to help!

http://www.gabrielrocha.com/personal/globe.aep

PS: in some browsers you will need to save as on the link.

Thanks a lot,

GR

hello there,

I`m trying to build a 3D globe on 3D Stroke. Its pretty basic and will work only as a simple element on my composition. But i want to be able to have full control on it on a Null layer. Like Rotation and position.

It basically works almost 100%.

I can control the position on a 3D space, and some rotation. BUT, i can control all the axis.

I have no idea why, so far for me, it doesnt make sense. if i rotate it on the X axis it works perfect, but if i rotate Y or Z some or all of the axis wont rotate properly.

here is the file if anyone fell like having a look to help!

http://www.gabrielrocha.com/personal/globe.aep

PS: in some browsers you will need to save as on the link.

Thanks a lot,

GR

Come on guys. Someone?

I think you've got crazy gymbal lock type problems going on with your model. I hate math, so thats as far as my knowhow goes on that one.

I did get it "working" though by disabling all of your expressions and starting over. The key was that the horizontal line doesn't follow the parenting of all 3 axises. Again, I have no idea why. I guess I have a different version of 3d stroke than you, but hopefully this will work.

also, I linked to xyz rotation because you can control rotations plus degrees with it. can't do that with orientation.

Lastly, the anchor point on your null was 0,0,0 and that made things weird in terms of the rings being centered on it and it being centered in the comp, so I changed the anchor to the null's center point , 50,50,0.

link

I think you've got crazy gymbal lock type problems going on with your model. I hate math, so thats as far as my knowhow goes on that one.

I did get it "working" though by disabling all of your expressions and starting over. The key was that the horizontal line doesn't follow the parenting of all 3 axises. Again, I have no idea why. I guess I have a different version of 3d stroke than you, but hopefully this will work.

also, I linked to xyz rotation because you can control rotations plus degrees with it. can't do that with orientation.

Lastly, the anchor point on your null was 0,0,0 and that made things weird in terms of the rings being centered on it and it being centered in the comp, so I changed the anchor to the null's center point , 50,50,0.

link

Thanks Monovich.

I have no idea why it wasnt working before neither. Its looks like exactly what i was doing before.

About the rotation, i know about it, i was just using orientation as a second chance since the rotation wasnt working neither.

Thanks for the help!

My best!