Sign in to follow this  
Cosmo Ray

iPhone 3G and 3GS

I've had the cheapest beater phone ATT makes since I've had a cell phone, and the 3GS new features finally convinced me to upgrade. I'm reading a lot of stuff about mad overheating issues though, mostly from 3GS users but also from 3G users who've upgraded to 3.0.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a bad time to buy an iPhone?

I've had the cheapest beater phone ATT makes since I've had a cell phone, and the 3GS new features finally convinced me to upgrade. I'm reading a lot of stuff about mad overheating issues though, mostly from 3GS users but also from 3G users who've upgraded to 3.0.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it a bad time to buy an iPhone?

No problems here. It's been great. I have played heavy 3D games and took a ton of photos and video with no heating problems. It's fast as hell too. Hope that helps

I just upgraded from an original iPhone to a 3GS. Overall I'm very happy with it. The difference in speed is huge if you've been on an original iPhone for a while. My old iPhone would sometimes get stuck in some kind of infinite loop and get really hot. I can't imagine the thing getting hot enough to change color during any kind of normal use.

Yeah, I had some problems with the original getting hot enough to very lightly burn my leg while it was in my pocket (forgot to turn off an NES emulator) but it didn't do any harm to the hardware itself.

I have read that the overheating issues have only been apparent on the white models of the phones. I upgraded from an original iPhone to a black 16GB 3GS and I haven't had any problems. Its definitely fast as hell and have had zero lock ups or crashes. If something does happen due to overheating...apple has a 1 year warranty (2 if you get apple care), if the problem is big enough they will (or should) just give you a new one.

Just read today that the phones that were thought to be overheating...actually may not be overheating at all. Several people noticed brown or pinkish discoloration on thier white iphones. It happened on the back near where the battery is. I read somewhere that this discoloration was actually caused by a third party case for the iphone, so it might just be a certain case that is rubbing on the back of the iphone, etc. I read they were able to clean of the coloring with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Just letting you know.

Jim