Sign in to follow this  
monovich

After Effects "free" 3d relighting plugins updated

Stefan Minning has updates his excellent After Effects relighting plugins and once again released them for free.99 (donations accepted via his website).

http://www.minning.de/#software/normality

If you like to composite or do a lot of 3d and haven't used these, you should check them out. The plugins allow for relighting, adding reflections, adding specular, refractions, and other cool functions (zbrush style renders) all from within After Effects via a "normals" pass from your favorite 3d package.

a few shots:

minmatcap_apple-300x315.jpg

normality-overview.jpg

normality-controls.png

100% lit in AE:

normality_example1-603x348.jpg

cheers!

-Stephen

Edited by monovich

This is grand, I wish Adobe weren't so slow off the grid for 3D integration. Imagine, one day, the true 3D post-production suite of our dreams...

Or maybe they just let Nuke handle 'that kind of thing'.

This is great. That kind of thing existed for a long time in nuke fusion and shake.

Now we need something to create those normal maps from photographs.

Cheers guys, long time lurker here.

I'm the developer of the Normality plug-in. If you have any questions or issues with the software, let me know!

Well, welcome, welcome, or maybe willkommen? I haven't played with it yet, but the moment I get a free minute, can't wait to test it out. Thanks again, Stefan.

Based on feedback from my esteemed friend Andrew Kramer of videocopilot.net I have updated Normality to version 3.1. This release is available for Windows and Mac OS X.

Changes include:

- An entirely re-written lighting system that more accurately reflects each light's position relative to the currently shaded pixel.

- The added option to render the angle of incidence to create nice back-lighting effects.

- Normality now hides inactive parameters in the interface in order to make the plug-in a bit more accessible to new users.

- The color and shading engine is now based on the system I developed for my 3D shaders - so in a sense Normality is now performing “true” shading. Future releases will build upon this concept by introducing a plug-in interface, allowing shader writers to develop their own shaders for use in Normality. A plug-in in a plug-in if you will.

Normality is free for commercial and non-commercial use… but remember that I rely on your support and donations to fund the development. Frankly speaking: No donations = no updates.

…and now go grab Normality 3.1!

Nice.

I have been trying to work with this project using Normality during the last week. I have been using Crazybump for non-3d footage, which is working out well. It's a bit off at times, especially with my keyed out, human subjects, but the effect I am going for is a paparazzi / light flashes that don't last more than a frame or two each. I would like to have the lights effect the subject more accurately through the use of this plugin rather than relying on blending modes and the over-use of lux. The test came out great, but I reaaaaaly need a way to run an image sequence through this. Crazybump only allows one image at a time.

Does anyone know of a way to batch process an image sequence to get (estimated) normal maps? Maybe a different software?

Still trying to figure out the alpha issue, though.
What alpha issue?

You can specify a separate alpha map in the normals tabs. Otherwise the current layer's alpha is used. I've been using the software in production for years and honestly I've never come across problems with its handling of alpha channels.

Please elaborate, maybe there's a quick fix I can implement for the next release.

Edited by stefanminning

On the mac version, even with a separate alpha render, I get a sloppy looking edge. It's like halfway between straight and premultiplied, not quite one or the other. I'll post a sample.

Which 3d softwre are you using to output your normals? There has being some issues with C4D not working properly with Normality, you will have to create your own by hand, i did try to save as RPF as it saves Normals but that is not very recommendable , dont ask me why but it did work for me with RPF.

Edgard

Yeah, C4D. The edges on a Normal pass look really bad. I'll try RPFs.

I heard from other C4D users that the aliasing from their render passes system produces bad results with Normality.

If C4D has a simple normal shader use should use that and do a regular render instead. That way the edges will be filtered properly.