Sign in to follow this  
MortenSJ

How to get an object to follow a spline

Hey guys

I am quite new to animation in Cinema 4D so this should be pretty easy, but i cant get it to work. I have modeled this rocket and wants to animate it using a spline.

I want it to fly by, make a loop and then fly out. I have drawn the spline, but i cant get the my rocket to follow the spline. Can anyone help?

I have mograph if thats any help?

Morten

You need to add an 'Align to Spline' tag to the object you want to animate. Then drop the spline into the 'Spline Path' box in the 'Align to Spline' tag attributes. Then just animate the tag's 'Position' property.

You need to add an 'Align to Spline' tag to the object you want to animate. Then drop the spline into the 'Spline Path' box in the 'Align to Spline' tag attributes. Then just animate the tag's 'Position' property.

Thanks alot! .. That works great. I ran into another problem. The rocket is now following the spline, but not following the spline in a smooth way. Right now the rocket stays in the same position through the whole animation. How do i make et follow the spline and in the same way turn the nose op when it goes up an so on. Hope you understand what i mean.

Make sure the 'Tangential' checkbox is checked and set your 'Axis' appropriately

Yeah, i tried that, but its not working out well. Its flipping my rocket everytime it hits 90 degress. I made a circle spline. I tried with and simple object like a cone, and it does the same thing :(

Edited by MortenSJ

Guest Sao_Bento
Yeah, i tried that, but its not working out well. Its flipping my rocket everytime it hits 90 degress. I made a circle spline. I tried with and simple object like a cone, and it does the same thing :(

It helps to use a null object as the actual "align to spline" object, then make your rocket a child to that - it gives you options to change exactly what part of your rocket is the pivot point, etc.