Sign in to follow this  
andrewcncpt

1080i 24p AE CS4 composition settings?

When setting up an After Effects Composition for footage that was shot 1080i 24PN via the HVX 200, what composition preset should I use to interpret the footage correctly? I've narrowed the presets list to the DVCPRO HD 1080 25 setup, or the DVCPRO HD 1080 30... Neither of which are 24 frame,..

is this just NOT a custom preset built into AE CS4? do I have to alter a few things?

Thanks! any advice would help!

Andrew

When setting up an After Effects Composition for footage that was shot 1080i 24PN via the HVX 200, what composition preset should I use to interpret the footage correctly? I've narrowed the presets list to the DVCPRO HD 1080 25 setup, or the DVCPRO HD 1080 30... Neither of which are 24 frame,..

is this just NOT a custom preset built into AE CS4? do I have to alter a few things?

Thanks! any advice would help!

Andrew

Was it shot interlaced or progressive? You mention both and it can't be both. If it was shot at 24p @ 1920 x 1080 then use that preset in AE.

Guest Sao_Bento

If it's 24p with pulldown that is captured at 1080i , you just want to interpret the footage correctly (removing the pulldown), then drop it into a 1080 24p comp.

Guest Sao_Bento
It was shot interlaced. 1080i

right, so removing the pulldown via the "interpret footage" dialog should result in a 23.976 fps movie.

If it's 24p with pulldown that is captured at 1080i , you just want to interpret the footage correctly (removing the pulldown), then drop it into a 1080 24p comp.

is there a 24p preset comp because I dont see one on my AE.. would I just change the frame rate to 24 from the DVCPRO HD 25 preset?

Guest Sao_Bento
is there a 24p preset comp because I dont see one on my AE.. would I just change the frame rate to 24 from the DVCPRO HD 25 preset?

You could do that. You can also save your own custom presets, so you only have to do it once.

Was it shot interlaced or progressive? You mention both and it can't be both. If it was shot at 24p @ 1920 x 1080 then use that preset in AE.

Well, it is kind of both :)

These files come to AE as 29.97 interlaced, but you have to manually remove pull-down in Interpret Footage so they become 23.976 fps.

There's no specific Comp preset for this flavor. Create a custom Comp with 1280x1080 frame size, PAR 1.5 and 23.976 fps. You can start from the DVCPRO HD 1080 29.97 Comp preset, and just alter the frame rate. Everything else will match.

Jeebus. Video cameras actually do this? Add pulldown while you shoot it to tape? What a rig. I can see SD cameras doing this so it fits the 29.97i standard but why would anyone want to do that to a format that supports 24fps? Shooting digital is too complicated :(