Sign in to follow this  
enternamehere

Clients that don't pay

Hi All,

I wanted to start this blog because I am absolutely fed up with a company I did work for not paying. I want to expose this company so that others do not have the same misfortune that I did.

The company is based in LA/Japan and their name is My Eskimo Friend. I had done boards for them (or I should say him because it's really only one guy) about a year ago. After 5 days of work I only charged 3 days because of the same old sob story of not having a budget. After a few months of no pay I started to really put the heat on with invoices/emails, still got the run-around. Finally I had to resort to a collection agency. The collection agency has had no luck as of yet.

Come this October it will be a year since I did the work. As of now I do not plan of getting paid as My Eskimo Friend does not respond to my payment reminders. Please be warned not to work for this company as they do not pay! If you have had any experiences with dead beat companies please let us know, it's not fair that they are paying their rent with YOUR money!

Edited by enternamehere

wish I'd read this post 10 months ago, I've had the exact experience with these guys too, but hey, it was a good lesson for me to learn next time 50% in before touching your wacom, no matter how eager you are to work.

wish I'd read this post 10 months ago, I've had the exact experience with these guys too, but hey, it was a good lesson for me to learn next time 50% in before touching your wacom, no matter how eager you are to work.

QFT!

And if I get the money song and dance I explain that life is not a flea market. Those who are willing to pay because they feel as though they are going to ultimately make money from your work, will pay. Those who wont, dont.

"They" aren't making you do something for the sake of doing it. It is to make money somehow from it.

I'd Like to add a similar company (ie one guy) The company is called 1One design studio , the guys name is RAMEZ. I know this might not be a big amount compared to what you are owed, but this guy has owed me $1050 since last october, and sometimes he says he's gona pay tmrw and tries to get me to do more work for him...

And the worst part is he has stuff on his website which was done by me, and his clients are also using images i made.

I'm not particulairy angry at him, i just hope he suffers terrible pain on one account or another. =)

Edited by vozzz

And the worst part is he has stuff on his website which was done by me, and his clients are also using images i made.

Best way to deal with this is to protect yourself in the first place. I always use contracts for bigger jobs, and one line that is always in the contract is:

"1. Rights. Upon full payment of all fees and costs, the following rights to the use of the designs and/or artwork transfer to Client, as noted: Non-exclusive Rights."

This way if a client tries to get away with not paying, at least they legally do not own any rights to it and they would be in clear violation of my copyright..

Yeah, but the thing is, back when i was doing these jobs i was swimming in money, so really didn't care about small jobs. It's just now that i'm kinda poor a grand would be nice.

ussually big jobs pay half upfront, so no need really for a contract for the most part.

ussually big jobs pay half upfront, so no need really for a contract for the most part.

Maybe it depends who you are dealing with, but contracts do more than protect your ass, they make sure everyone knows what the heck is going on and when and by whom. It could state half up front, and then a net 30 on the final payment, instead of just - whenever they get around to it. Contracts don't necessarily make people pay, but they help by creating a more professional look for yourself, and so - you will be more likely to be treated professionally (I know it doesn't always work like that)

I would also like to say that although my collection agency has not collected that they are still a great tool to get your money back. They do not charge anything until they collect, so why not? Let them bug the hell out of them. They can also damage the debtors credit. In some cases they will buy the debit from you and sue the debtor themselves.

I think persistence is the key. Do not let these people get away with stealing from you. I still send an invoice every day to every email I have. The biggest mistake I made was feeling sorry for them. There will always be a sob story about how their client didn't pay or how they are just staying afloat. I was constantly told that I would be getting payment next week, next month, etc. DON'T BELIEVE IT!!! They are just buying time.

We should put an easily searchable list of these companies on the wiki (or even as a sticky here). Maybe Motionographer could put up a list of the "Cream of the Crap" - that'd probably scare these guys into paying on time :lol:

I agree - do the blog thing and we can all blacklist our shittiest clients. Would it be legal to put a testimony from a named complainant underlining the reasons for the blacklisting? And of course, you could give said company a chance to defend its behaviour. Don't wanna get sued for libel - my shitty current employer is taking a magazine to court over their running an article about them, which was expository rather than defamatory!

A word of note: You won't get much work in London if you pull out legal contracts for new clients to sign, particularly not the small ones, especially if you withhold rights until payments are complete. If you are working on a broadcast job and it airs less than a week after completion (hell, I once sent a tape to channel four literally 3 hours pre-air) this is just not an option, and then you could still be waiting a quarter of a year to be paid for your time.

It is fucking guaranteed that the better clients pay their bills on time - they treat it as a professional duty rather than an inconvenience.

OK - as an issue of format and legitimacy, how about you submit scans of your invoice and your bank statement (with info blacked out except their company name) and then total the days it took to pay - if they didn't pay, then a live updating counter ticks away every day at the side of that entry...

"KnowThyClient.com"

Yes exactly my point. I just posted a similair thread on Australia inFront and got a whole bunch of crap from them. It's like as if it's a board of people who don't pay themselves or something.

I mean some are like " you should always get paid upfront" But on so many occasions if i did that i simply wouldn't get the job or the money. And the companies did pay and fairly quickly, like 2 weeks.

knowthyclient.com is a good idea. so there could be a database that you could search. Maybe don't make it public, make it so you have to register, and when you register, you agree that you will not pursue legal action against the website or share your account with anyone else. And if anyone gains access to your account that is a breach of contract. That way people can not say, well i didn't sign up, i just logged in with someone elses account.

If anyone is interested in developing this i can pay for the domain. And i know a couple of free hosts which should be sufficient for this.

I think it's a great idea having a site about deadbeat clients. I worry that most people would be afraid to speak out. Maybe it can be anonymous submissions? I think it could be more like a blog. A place where people could post good/bad experiences. Also we can provide information on how to go about getting paid.

Surprisingly Edgeworx. I know, for a large pretty well know company not to pay is rather strange, but after multiple reminders and invoices, nothing for almost a year!

Wow. Are you taking any action against them? If I were you I would call and see what the story is. Maybe they sent payment to the wrong address? If not I would definitely get a collection agency on them. Collection agencies never charge a fee until they collect, typically 10-15%. I am using an agency called EJL & Associates (http://www.ejlandassociates.com). They specialize in collecting in the Media Industry. Hope this helps.

Best.

Hey dude.

Ive got issues with Ramez Gabra as well.

He owes me 4000+ on a couple of projects.

I've contacted some collection agents to do the dirty work for me because I was getting stress from all the dramas, but Im at the point that I really have to sacrifice A LOT to go ahead with legal fees.

Did you ever get your money from him?

I'm still waiting on a late fee about a year after I sent the original invoice to BigStar in NYC. They happen to have a terrible reputation for paying freelancers months late.

So do they just owe you a late fee or your original invoice plus a late fee? I have been in contact with them in the past about work, it's good to have this information. Thanks!

I had a contract with Ramez as well but unfortunately the legal fees to pursue $1500 worth of costs considering I'm interstate is almost prohibitive.

My husband is a lawyer though and I could potentially talk to him about it if there are several people who want to pursue perhaps a class action or something like that.

I had a contract with Ramez as well but unfortunately the legal fees to pursue $1500 worth of costs considering I'm interstate is almost prohibitive.

My husband is a lawyer though and I could potentially talk to him about it if there are several people who want to pursue perhaps a class action or something like that.

Hi Nashoba,

I too have been burned. Posted story on Australianinfront, lets talk. i reckon we can get a class together. Im really keen.

The guy is totally unprofessional. And should be black listed. Ive started researching on legalities.

Shoot me an email, and i can give you my contact details to discuss further..

Thank you for that warning.

I'm still waiting on a late fee about a year after I sent the original invoice to BigStar in NYC. They happen to have a terrible reputation for paying freelancers months late.

Sorry to hear this. I know it isn't willful. They used to be very generous with

snacks and extras. Probably having trouble getting paid by their own clients.

Nevertheless, you should consider small claims court, and if it's a larger fee,

Civil Court. Better to do it before they declare bankruptcy.

Surprisingly Edgeworx. I know, for a large pretty well know company not to pay is rather strange, but after multiple reminders and invoices, nothing for almost a year!

Contact his clients, and ask them to help you get paid. They'll be horrified that they

paid for the work, and the guy who did it got stiffed. At least that's my experience.

I'd Like to add a similar company (ie one guy) The company is called 1One design studio , the guys name is RAMEZ. I know this might not be a big amount compared to what you are owed, but this guy has owed me $1050 since last october, and sometimes he says he's gona pay tmrw and tries to get me to do more work for him...

I'm not particulairy angry at him, i just hope he suffers terrible pain on one account or another. =)