Sign in to follow this  
Alexander Perry

Alexander Perry

Hey all!

My name is Alexander Perry and Mr. Omoss suggested I post my newly "finished" student reel on here. I am about to graduate from Ex'pression College in Emeryville, CA and although I am currently satisfied with this cut, I am always looking to hear from fresh, unique voices!

Enjoy!

-Alexander

Great reel man, I think it is very strong as a finishing student. I like the blue train/plane stuff, nice and clean.

I noticed one piece you showed several times with the stacking look... influenced much by "My Paper Mind"? And there was a Bonnaroo spot made like that as well. You might find this article about the effect interesting: http://www.leftbrainwritebrain.com/no-ideas-required/

Cheers

Oh yes. Most definitely influenced by both pieces. More so the Ghost Robot announcement, but I specifically credit Mr. Ivey on my site since he is the "OG". I'd go as far to say it was an attempt at seeing how well we could fake it in AE while incorporating scenarios that would have been impossible to cut and animate with paper. If you're interested you should check out the entire piece. It's a music video.

Send A Robot

I did actually end up watching the whole video, and I must say - it was done really well. I felt like, the whole way through the style didn't become stagnant. You transitioned in different ways, changed colors and theme all the way to the end. Little details added a lot, like the guitar animation correctly matching the pitch shifts, etc :)

For quite a while I thought about different ways to achieve that effect in AE, out of curiosity... but didn't really come up with a good way to do it short of hundreds of comps, haha. Would you care to share your workflow for that?

Great reel, also loved what you did with the Send A Robot video ...

Culpfiction: It's pretty easy to do in AE. All your animation is in a Pre-comp. Your main Comp has 10-20 copies of that comp, each offset in Z and also in time by 1 frame ... add some lighting and shadows ... enjoy!

Thanks all! I didn't expect such a positive response. I'm anxious to get more work in there for a bit more variety.

As for the fake stratastencil technique, I'm having trouble understanding the 10-20 comp approach mentioned above, but I'd be happy to explain how I did it.

We locked down exactly how we wanted the entire video to look at 12fps in 2D. Exported that as hundreds and hundreds of pngs with alpha channels. Brought in every png altogether and cut them down to, I believe, two seconds. Made them 3D, cast shadows and added a tint effect, all black. Animate the tint on the first frame at 0 opacity to the last frame at 100%. This is going to simulate falloff. Animate every png moving from 0 in z space, to around 4000. Finally, sequence every layer so that they're offset by one frame and add your light. =]

You're very welcome, brandj. Looking over your file makes me realize just how many subtleties in settings and workflow I ought to get accustomed to before landing a proper job.

Wow, thanks for the kind words, Jeff. I truly appreciate everything everyone has said. Jarratt has some fantastic moments in his student reel.

Also, here's my vimeo page for anyone interested: http://www.vimeo.com/alexanderperry

This probably isn't the proper place to swap links on MoGraph, but I'd definitely love to have a place to network and see everyone else's work consolidated on one neat and tidy page. :)