Sign in to follow this  
Marc Z

Pending upgrade

The board will be updated soon from it's current version to the brandspanking new 3.x series ipsboard. This will naturally mean the pink will turn blue again for a little while, so bear with us while the upgrade is in process.

The default template is pretty sweet. Are you going to revert back to the old template, or just recolor this one? My vote is for the latter!

Also, rotate in headers done by forum members imo. Kinda like how VCP changes headers every couple of weeks, though he does them all himself.

::shivering:: so cold.. so confused. blues.. greens.. eep! :blink:

isn't 'view new content' the same as 'view latest posts'?

colors will be tackled this week, gotta find the time.

oooh everything looks so pretty. And i love how only the top is pink right now.

Maybe just make the background a bit darker, and it'll all be sweet.

colors will be tackled this week, gotta find the time.

The "View Active Content" on the bottom blue bar seems to do the same thing. If it IS possible to get that bad boy up high on the page and visible to all it would be the bees.

I also see we now have a 'digg' style rating system. Interesting. Not sure if that will ever get used other than negging ZeBrownie posts.

Edited by C.Smith

It's close, but it's not the same. The "Today's Active Topics" button (or whatever it was called) would display all threads with new posts within the last 24 hours. This new version only shows me new stuff since my last login, so if I log in and there's 25 new items and I only have time to check out 3 before logging out, it won't display those again when I come back.

Maybe it's just me but I find that incredibly annoying. I'd usually just go to the "Today's Active Topics" page and hit refresh all day, if there was nothing new I could just scroll down and check out something I had overlooked before. Now when I hit refresh it just gives me a blank page most of the time...makes this place feel dead.

In short, what I'm trying to say is that I waste enough time on this forum already each day - If I have to actually go through each one of those damn sub-forums separately to see what people are talking about, I'll probably just stop coming altogether.. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, found the View Active Content link at the bottom. Can we get that sucker back at the top?

Edited by beau+++

Safari on Mac is giving me a lot of issues. Every other link I click goes to a white page; few refreshes later it finally loads. FF on Mac seems fine.

Firemind, I completely appreciate everything you've done to keep mograph.net up and running, but I think the new look is a step backward to be honest. It's more cluttered, more busy, has too much negative space and the headers scream 'web 2.0.'

If the forum architecture should change at all it should be in a more minimal direction, more geared to PDAs and the like. It's obviously not my decision but those are my 2c.

Safari on Mac is giving me a lot of issues. Every other link I click goes to a white page; few refreshes later it finally loads. FF on Mac seems fine.

I have that same problem also.

Firemind, I completely appreciate everything you've done to keep mograph.net up and running, but I think the new look is a step backward to be honest. It's more cluttered, more busy, has too much negative space and the headers scream 'web 2.0.'

If the forum architecture should change at all it should be in a more minimal direction, more geared to PDAs and the like. It's obviously not my decision but those are my 2c.

I have always wanted a way to rate the posts so the better ones would stay afloat and the dullards would sink, but I agree with this mete_shop on the CSS. While I know the shift just started... I can't help but feel the content is getting lost in the interface. However, I would like to make it clear that I am also very grateful for the time you've committed to maintenence. I know that maintaining upgrades of web forums/applications can range from unfun<-->infuriating.

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

:)

-m

The pink header was a quicky, that will hopefully be replaced by one by a forum member soon. As for the new system, not much I can do there I'm afraid. I don't have the time or webskillz to change the lay-out or functionality beyond some recoloring here and there. I do like the new system though, it looks more compact and less stringed-together than the 2.x series. And hopefully it will keep us ahead of spammers/hackers for a little bit more than the 2.x series did.

Any hope in getting links to open in a new tab instead of the current mograph page that is loaded? if so that would be great.

I've changed the setting that should fix that, but annoyingly only Firefox seems to open up a new tab and not IE. Haven't checked on safari yet.

*goes off to file bug*

I've changed the setting that should fix that, but annoyingly only Firefox seems to open up a new tab and not IE. Haven't checked on safari yet.

*goes off to file bug*

Thanks, thats fine i'm on firefox :)

Is the board in it's final state?

I'm trying to be appreciative that the board even exists, but this new upgrade is somehow harder to use and gives you less information while taking up more space.

Would love to see who the post starter is on the Active posts page as well as how many times a thread has been viewed like in the old days. And would still love to put the "View active posts" at the top where it's easier to use and where newbs will see and use it keeping the board circulating better.

Also would love to see the Thread detail (sub heading) on back on the main thread list.

I like a handful of the new features but the basics I use 98% of the time have been reduced to a lesser experience than before.

Just my notes if anyone is listening.

Edited by C.Smith

Just want to send a shout out (I assume to Firemind) for adding all the info back to the thread lists that made it like the old site. I have officially nothing to bitch about any longer. Thanks for the efforts.

Oh cool, i didn't know we had a request thread! :P

1) Can I request a safari fix? Pages frequently won't load because the site tries to pull off "too many redirects" (so sayeth the error message that pops up randomly). No undetermined soul will refresh the page long enough to get it up, which I suspect is a big part of the reason we're not seeing much traffic anymore. I may be overestimating the safari traffic, but I think people are either frustrated, or they think the site's flat broke, and aren't bothering to come back. I'm dealing, but it gets pretty old.

2) Can we highlight the "pinned" subjects, or condense them, or move them so that they don't fill up so much space at the top of the thread lists or are easier to discriminate from the active topics? (obviously not a huge deal, but does make those pages hard to decipher)

Site's great otherwise! Definitely an improvement.

thanks!!