Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

There is a lot of hype around this movie. I will check it out for sure.

I don't know why people think James Cameron is a master at direction, though. His only good movies were True Lies (which was bleh) and T2 of course, which is a classic.

There is a lot of hype around this movie. I will check it out for sure.

I don't know why people think James Cameron is a master at direction, though. His only good movies were True Lies (which was bleh) and T2 of course, which is a classic.

What!? Dude cmon! Aliens? Maybe one of the first and only sequels that was actually just as good if not better than the first. And you seem to be forgetting a little movie called "Titanic" Which doesn't that still hold the title of most successful movie ever? I guess it all comes down to your own opinion. You are right this movie is maybe getting a little too over hyped. But i think Cameron is definitely a great filmmaker and knows what makes a film entertaining. That's why this will truly be seen as one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever made. Just because he doesn't rely on eye candy / special effects to solely make a film entertaining. He understands that the story comes first. Unlike a lot of working directors now. Why is Transformers 2 doing so well at the box office!? Wow is that not a piece of hilariously awful film making it seemed as if it was directed by a 13 year old boy. After actually paying to see that in the theaters I must see AVATAR this year to see the work of a truly great filmmaker. Anyway thanks for the response I waited a full day and only one response? My posts are really starting to stink I guess. I thought it was a cool topic ah well.

Ridley Scott's version was much better, imo.

And I didn't mention Titanic because, well, it's a crappy movie loaded with sappy boo hoo. Boring movie.

Transformers 2 has made more than $700 million dollars. Does it mean that it's a good movie? It's a very bad movie. Yes, Titanic still holds the record for the most money made in the box office, but that doesn't mean much when you look at what the general public likes.

I'm the opposite regarding VFX, the less, the better, although when done well, it could rock my world.

But don't get me wrong, I am REALLY looking forward to Avatar and will definetly watch it. I am sure I won't be disappointed, like I have been lately with anticipated movies (Public Enemies, etc).

The 3D technology used seems super cool and this movie should be epic.

Is ILM working on the VFX by any chance? The less visible VFX the better, imo.

And I didn't mention Titanic because, well, it's a crappy movie loaded with sappy boo hoo. Boring movie.

Is ILM working on the VFX by any chance? The less visible VFX the better, imo.

Crappy movie!? Have you no soul man!? LOL! Well I guess to each their own. Not sure who is doing the VFX but I saw a speaking engagement he did where he says back when he wrote the script 14 years ago and brought it to the heads of his company over at Digital Domain they said that they definitely cannot do this yet the technology doesn't exist. So he shelved it and after he saw Peter Jackson's Golem he thought that now they can give AVATAR a shot. Pretty funny I just remembered that Michael Bay bought Digital Domain from him. Anyway he also said that it takes 40-50 hours to render a single frame of the movie. And if you read that article someone who saw the footage said that these CGI characters are so complex and detailed that they seem to have their own soul and you forget you are watching animation. It's like Cameron is some sort of God who created a planet with creatures and plant life then went there and just shot and directed them. LOL! Now that's some crazy ass hype!

Edited by FlipSwitch

Looks a lot like the George Lucas/Matrix 2/3 issues. Let's just throw as much on the screen as possible because we can.

Whatever happened to a little subtlety in VFX? Do we have to cram as much on-screen as possible?

I'll definitely see this movie but I don't need to see 50-100 of the same ships in the scene to create impact.

I wonder what Cameron's version of Aliens would look like now? Not as good I'd bet.

Sometimes I think technology has made things worse for a lot of directors.

Ahhhh.. sounding like a grumpy old man .. guess I'll just wait and see. Not as excited as before, though.

Whatever happened to a little subtlety in VFX?

I don't know if you saw Duncan Jones "the Moon " . It totally sublimates the VFX to the story which is a lost art as far as I'm corncerned.

I hadn't read much about this until today. parts of the clip looked totally amazing but I didn't like the blue people. that said I'm not passing any judgement.

as per the Titanic argument. It may be a 16 year old girl movie, but it was well done and I'm fine saying so in public.

huh... I have to say considering all the hype I was expecting the blue people to look allot more photo real.

They look more like Disney characters than something I could picture walking down the street.

Just saw the 1080p trailer. Looked good, but nothing "amazing". The hype surrounding this movie is ridiculous.

Kind of reminded me of Beowulf (crap movie).

I'll watch it for sure, though.

Meh, trailer is a real let down ...and Papyrus... really??

I agree... meh-diocre.

Also, the end of the trailer with the generic high pitched build up that has been in almost every single trailer since 1994???

WTF? It didnt even flow with the rest of the trailer.

Actually, that style (at least to me) goes back to Roger Dean album cover artwork. Floating islands, space jungles, dino birds, . I'll definitely see it, as I am a dorky fan of that style.

floatingislandsb.jpgbirdsongb.jpgMorningDragonb.jpg

However, Papyrus? come on.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=38656

Someone in that thread (allegedly working on the film) mentioned that there are a lot of unfinished shots in the teaser, so there might be a streak of hope, after all. Still, I'm nowhere near as excited as I thought I would be...

Mylenium

Didn't you hear,

Uninspired type choices are all the rage for films this year!

jake-gyllenhaal-prince-of-persia-movie-poster_a.jpg

I wonder how Bruckheimer will pull off a zoom-in-enhance-it scene within a historical setting. It's not a matter of if, but how. I'm thinking, someone will be like the surveillance guy, and he will record what he sees in stone tablets, then someone else will take these stone tablets and chant a mystical zoom-in-enhance-it spell, causing the resolution of the stone tablet to quadruple and actually animate. This is actually more feasible than most zoom-in-enhance-it scene when you factor in the divine intervention.

I almost didn't watch the trailer for avatar but now in a way I'm glad I did cause it brought my expectations down.

I haven't heard any hype about this movie at all until today.

I was hoping that Chi-City would have been cast.