Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

I wonder how Bruckheimer will pull off a zoom-in-enhance-it scene within a historical setting. It's not a matter of if, but how. I'm thinking, someone will be like the surveillance guy, and he will record what he sees in stone tablets, then someone else will take these stone tablets and chant a mystical zoom-in-enhance-it spell, causing the resolution of the stone tablet to quadruple and actually animate. This is actually more feasible than most zoom-in-enhance-it scene when you factor in the divine intervention.

I doubt he'll even make an excuse.

The game it's based on has some kind of time stopping/rewinding mechanic any way, so I'm sure he'll use that to the same effect.

I’d guess the plot is something like:

Evil humans try to use their technology to hurt the pure blue people. But the blue people are in touch with nature, so they eventually show us the error of our ways.

On the way out of the theater we all sing Cum-by-yah, then go to Wal-mart and buy the action figures made in China.

avetard.jpg

I saw the trailer on quicktime...I really thought the CG was lacking...I felt like I was watching a b video game trailer. As I frame by framed certain sections it looked like there were compositing issues in some of the clips. white lines & artifacting in scenes with heavy motion, the battle sequences...The aliens look like a fifteen year old girl designed them. When I talk to industry people about it they are less than hopeful for it. When I talk with people outside of the industry they can't stop raving about it. Has anyone on here seen the 20 minutes presented at the IMAX theaters?

These "similarities" are quite a stretch.

Welcome back btw.

Agreed, I watched the Delgo trailer over on Apple, and the story is completely different, and actually sounds quite a bit more cliche and less creative.

Judgment based on the trailer alone may not be the greatest way to judge, but it beats judging based on 6 frames! Those scenes that were compared were sci-fi/fantasy staples anyway that I immediately could think of other movies just like them as well.

Oh, and Jesus has requested not to be embedded, btw.

ya i mean come on guys i think everyone is way to quick to wreck this based on the trailer... i think it must be watched in 3d like he intended to get the overall look/feel of what he's trying to do... granted the characters may look a lil more cartoony than real... i think thats mostly due to the oversized eyes... thats my only gripe with it... i think the main character the girl alien looks the best and that one shot of her thats behind the leaves... that looks amazing!... best shot of the trailer i think... i was really impressed with gollum watching it in the theater and i think that this will definitely impress me...when i see the movie in 3d on the big screen.... i mean its been a few years since LOTR so i think they def advanced even more... also remember this is cameron making it so the story will be there it's not like michael bay is making this... i mean i was let down a lil by the trailer but than again i just told myself don't give in to all the hype and just wait to see it in december...

come with low expectations , high , or just in the middle , this movie is a must.

James Cameron had just broken all the boundaries with this one and the biggest blockbuster of history record is soon to come.

I will watch it again in the cinema asap

I guess it's close enough to the release date for me to finally be allowed to tell people I worked on Avatar (doing holographic computer interfaces for a few of the scenes). We had a team of 5-6 guys doing the motion graphics and probably 30-40 compositors/rotos/3D guys doing their thing for six and a half months. In the end I think our scenes only make up about 10 minutes of the movie, so that should give you an idea of how many freaking people were working on it. I'm pretty anxious to see this flick! The stuff I saw coming through the pipes was incredible.

I guess it's close enough to the release date for me to finally be allowed to tell people I worked on Avatar (doing holographic computer interfaces for a few of the scenes). We had a team of 5-6 guys doing the motion graphics and probably 30-40 compositors/rotos/3D guys doing their thing for six and a half months. In the end I think our scenes only make up about 10 minutes of the movie, so that should give you an idea of how many freaking people were working on it. I'm pretty anxious to see this flick! The stuff I saw coming through the pipes was incredible.

Everything in this movie looks amazing. Except the holographic interfaces.

Now I know why.

Nice! I noticed on the 60 minutes interview with cameron there were a few ae setups at the green screen shoot. Looked like they were doing compositing on the spot.

Were you in la for this or were they just outsourcing to everywhere?

Everything in this movie looks amazing. Except the holographic interfaces.

Now I know why.

bahaha :lol:

beau+++ : what was used in the pipes? maya? vue? how many computers were used in the farm? share some production details pleeeeease.

Our little team of mographers was kind of separated from all the other action, so I can't say for sure who was doing what when it comes to the compositing and 3D. Obviously WETA was doing the hard lifting for this flick, doing all the Na'vi and making Pandora etc. so we had nothing to do with that. I know I saw our 3D guys working on vehicle animations and some of the more extensive detailed holographic interfaces like the holographic table in the trailers. They were using Max for that stuff, and when we needed 3D in our screens we'd usually use Maya, though some was coming from Max if we needed dedicated 3D support from them. I did quickly pop open C4D on one of the screens, using Monkey's IsoCam to get camera data into AE (Thanks Monkey!).

Because this is a 3D movie, we originally had a few layers of flat planes separated in 3D space on our screens to give some stereo depth within the interfaces, with two camera passes coming out of AE. We were pretty far ahead of schedule so we made the call to re-render the more prominent screens with every layer separated in 3D space, not just into a few planes. It looked pretty cool when we checked it out in stereo on the big screen, but I admittedly haven't seen any of it composited into the final shots - hopefully the effect doesn't get lost (I'm told it looks great, hopefully that's true). Since we only worked on a few of the scenes and there would have been other companies doing the mograph for the interfaces in other scenes, I'm not sure if they've done the same thing or kept things to a few layers, guess we'll have to wait and see. In our scenes anyway, there are sometimes 20 interfaces on-screen at once. Each and every one has it's own stereo depth within each screen, and there's also stereo depth between all the live action elements. Should make for some great eye-fuckery.

As far as design goes, almost all of it was done before I was brought in. We redesigned elements here and there but for the most part we were strictly there as animators. I have no idea how many computers were on the farm, but I'd imagine there were lots. We were building all these screens at really high resolutions and they were still rendering insanely fast, so the farm was obviously kicking some ass.

Nice! I noticed on the 60 minutes interview with cameron there were a few ae setups at the green screen shoot. Looked like they were doing compositing on the spot.

Were you in la for this or were they just outsourcing to everywhere?

There was talk for a while of getting a few of us down to LA for part of the project, but nothing ever came of it so most of us were in Winnipeg for the duration and our AD was in LA with one or two other artists with the occasional trip up here. They had a really good system for uploading and approving videos, so we'd just submit stuff that way. We managed to stay way ahead of schedule despite the distance, so there was lots of time for tweaking in the end.

Now the big question, did you get credited?

I've seen mograph people get a bit shafted in the past on feature films and not get in the movie credits.

I'm credited as a Graphic Artist if you look under Yahoo Movies, but I'm not credited on IMDB. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if my name shows up on the film version. I won't be surprised or upset if I'm not in the credits at the end of the movie - a LOT of people worked on this, and in the end my work definitely takes a back seat to all the stuff from Weta and ILM obviously.

i just came back from it... and those screen graphics looked GREAT!... did you work on the brain synapse stuff? or was it more of the tree layouts or the military gun tracking stuff... all in all the VFX and CG in this film was near flawless... they have got the eyes and lighting / textures down perfect... although if i were being SUPER critical some of the regular movement was a lil off... like when the aliens move fast and are fighting it looks great but some of the walking and motion was a lil too smooth...i guess its still hard to get the subtle movements of people down... i couldn't quite place it... but when u watch a real actor there are certain moves or actions we do that i guess are still too hard to replicate on a CG character... but the eyes and the subtle emotion were fantastic... there's a part when a human hand touches an alien face and i totally bought it... the integration between the CG and live action was great... and top of all of this just the way the plant life interacted with the lighting and motion from low flying helicopters was incredible... i thought at first from watching the trailers the luminescent plant and animal life was a bit cheesy or not believable in a way... like i remember thinking it would've been better if it wasn't so colorful (That is when i saw the trailer) after the first 10 minutes of the film you buy everything off the bat AND when night falls and everything glows its even better... i remember reading something that Cameron took what he saw and filmed in deep sea and he put it here on this planet and it TOTALLY works... i will see this in IMAX ASAP... with all that said there are some plot things i didn't care for and some of the dialogue was pretty cheesy... but the story was great and i wasn't antsy once during the 3 hours TRT... i know some people are still hating on it but i can say by far this is my favorite Cameron film... and i would place it more in a fantasy genre than sci-fi...either way i think its on the top of my list in both of those genres... lets hear what others thought!!!