Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

i just came back from it... and those screen graphics looked GREAT!... did you work on the brain synapse stuff? or was it more of the tree layouts or the military gun tracking stuff

Yeah the brain synapse was great, it's not mine though, I'm not sure what company did those ones. We did the screens in that room full of computers with the holo-table etc. (when Selfridge is putting the golf ball, and when Quaritch flips his shit and starts shooting from the balcony for example - anytime you see that room the screens are ours). We also did some of the medical screens in a few of the other scenes. I'd put them all up on my reel but I'm not allowed until it's out on DVD unfortunately.

Luckily we did get our names in the credits after all, among one of the many walls of text at the end of the movie haha.

It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be but there were times were I drifted, and groaned at a few of the really cheesy tribal things. The Navi' were poorly designed IMHO, and they did sort of make it seem like Dances with Smurfs at times. There were other creatures design that made up for it though, and the overall environment design was just incredible. As far as the look of the film with the 3D I thought it was amazing, except a few times in fast motion scenes. I don't know if it's just how the 3D glasses interpret motion blur, or my eyes aren't good enough or I moved my head, but I found in some instances of fast motion there was sort of this blocky glitch. Overall I thought it was worthing checking out for the 3D technology. It's a game changer in movie viewing. This was by far the most encompassing and engaging 3D experience I've ever had.

Did you guys do all the VFX on Windows 3.1?

I take it that's a rip on the design of the screens? :huh: Like I said before, we didn't design them, we were animating another company's designs.

edit: Or maybe you're being sarcastic about the rest of the VFX?

Edited by beau+++

edit: Or maybe you're being sarcastic about the rest of the VFX?

:)

The VFX and the holographic work were fantastic.

I even forgave the use of Papyrus throughout the movie for the subtitles.

And the crappy trailer.

Edited by hyp3

Better than I expected. Not sure if I would have liked it as much if I didn't see it in 3-d.. There were some pretty cheese moments but I kind of expected that so I didn't let it bother me. In the end, that 2.75hrs went pretty damned quickly and it was a lot of fun to get caught up in some good old fashioned pantheism

Good job on those screens beau! Too bad you didn't do the brain synapse ones.. Those were sick ;)

i liked it a lot, tried to go in uncontaminated so i tuned everything out, and hadnt seen the trailers even

for a modern sci-fi film it hit so many right notes. my little brother wrote a critique of it here

i enjoyed anti-imperialism reaching this level of pop culture, and the visuals were epochally state of the art in having photo-real 3d characters that werent creepy or toony (looking at the trailer now, i might have been thrown off also by some things)

Q: what do you guys think the best viewing distance is in a 3D movie.. im not that eperienced with em (would love to see some more tools for AE and C4D to make my own). I would say for me I like the edges of the screen to be at the edges of my periphery, so in a lot of cases, sitting near the front 1/3rd of the seats... for me the edges are the only bit that i feel different about going from 2D to 3D, otherwise, its a rad step forward for visuals, and also keeping cinema revenue positive which means continued jobs etc

btw beau - big props on the classy work on this. really plussed the film out with those UI anims

the screen worked well with the resolution. it would seem to be so easy to make the line weights too heavy and size things too clunky.

btw beau - big props on the classy work on this. really plussed the film out with those UI anims

the screen worked well with the resolution. it would seem to be so easy to make the line weights too heavy and size things too clunky.

Yeah good work, slick stuff.

I watched it last night in 3D, sat right near the front and there were a few ghosting issues in high action CU shots inside but other than that stunning. The whole world was realised brilliantly I thought, and seems they've finally cracked that uncanny valley.. very human expressions and eyes in the faces.

Still can't believe they let papyrus slide through to the subtitles.. who's idea was that?!

I loved the movie,

It truly is a must see especially in IMAX 3D. Its more a ride than a movie.

But, I must say the plot seems very typical. Purely my opinion maybe I'm wrong but didn't we see this 20 years ago with "Dances With Wolves"? Or did we not see a somewhat remake of the same plot in "The Last Samurai"? I'm sure the list goes on but can't the recipe for the writing of such a great film like this have something new thrown into it?

i liked it a lot, tried to go in uncontaminated so i tuned everything out, and hadnt seen the trailers even

for a modern sci-fi film it hit so many right notes. my little brother wrote a critique of it here

i enjoyed anti-imperialism reaching this level of pop culture, and the visuals were epochally state of the art in having photo-real 3d characters that werent creepy or toony (looking at the trailer now, i might have been thrown off also by some things)

Q: what do you guys think the best viewing distance is in a 3D movie.. im not that eperienced with em (would love to see some more tools for AE and C4D to make my own). I would say for me I like the edges of the screen to be at the edges of my periphery, so in a lot of cases, sitting near the front 1/3rd of the seats... for me the edges are the only bit that i feel different about going from 2D to 3D, otherwise, its a rad step forward for visuals, and also keeping cinema revenue positive which means continued jobs etc

You're brothers review is excellent.

Good in what way? Every blog and their mother is finding some spin about the meaning behind avatar..

haha, well for me, good in talking about the international implications. not saying its the only one to do it