Sign in to follow this  
undream

Glass Pieces Fly Through (frosen moment)

I'm doing a 3d-layers flythrough video in after effects. Basically, 3d flat layers placed on different depths.

There is a window, and I want to add "glass pieces" to the air. there will be reflections and refractions.

What is the simplest pipeline to add this 3d element to my video ?

I thought exporting the camera from AE to C4D (if there are any ways around) and add the 3d elements there; then just render the glass pieces (with the finished BG so that it'll have reflections and refractions) then composite them to my video... But that way when it needs a change it will just need me to re-render anything and everything...

Any other suggestions ?

you just described the best method :)

edit: as for re-rendering, its not that big of a chore is it? use a shatter stand-in effect if there are any changes beyond the first good looking pass. if the client questions it, just let them know its stand-in until everything else is called final.

Edited by misanthrope.

you just described the best method :)

edit: as for re-rendering, its not that big of a chore is it? use a shatter stand-in effect if there are any changes beyond the first good looking pass. if the client questions it, just let them know its stand-in until everything else is called final.

Hmm..

Then how can I get the camera data from AE to C4D ?

it seems that the scirpt does not read camera wiggles (wigglle AE script)

any workouts ?

Select the property that has the wiggle expression on it, then right click it and find "convert expression to keyframes." Obviously make sure you're happy with the settings first.

joey

The glass pieces renders take amasingly long.

I'm working full HD, with ~1000 glass pieces. Reflections, refractions. A frame takes around 10 minutes.

Is there any way to get faster render times or get some performance tweaks ?

Also I had a difficult time to create the "shatter". If anyone got a solution for that; I may want to hear that as well.

The glass pieces renders take amasingly long.

I'm working full HD, with ~1000 glass pieces. Reflections, refractions. A frame takes around 10 minutes.

Is there any way to get faster render times or get some performance tweaks ?

I dont know your setup but thats probably right, if you're a soloist on a deadline THIS is what you should look for. if thats not an option step away from the comp, dont even surf, that could tweak your performance

edit: before you even figure out your pipeline: ' "start by thinking about how to create the illusion of _____, not actually creating _____" ~the Monkey'

Edited by apoK

Yes, this is a solo one..

I know that I have to create the closest possible illusion instead of the work itself, but the problem is that:

is it possible to fake the reftactions ?

I mean:

if there is a way to do something like this:

1. I get the glass piece renders

2. I composite them all in after effects so that it -refracts- whats behind.

I can do something similar with the well known displacement effect (and use the glasses as the displacement map) but the problem is that I have like ~10 seperate glass layers (to create the illusion of -fly through-) and they just all refract whats behind, they do not refract each other.

How can I solve this ? any ways ?

Basically, I'm in need of a fake refraction method.

Guest Sao_Bento

Basically, I'm in need of a fake refraction method.

A Displacement map in AE might work, depending upon the level of detail you need to see.

Guest Sao_Bento

How will I apply the displacement so that each glass layer will displace all the layers beneath?

It's hard to determine without a visual, but you can probably break it down into a few separate layers.