Sign in to follow this  
edrhine

C4D light streaks

Hello there I am trying to simulate light streaks, as if trailing car tail lights shot at a slow shutter speed. I have watch tuts on the COW (sssshhh!) and checked out C4D cafe. However there is something I am not getting. The result is too much looking like a sweep nurb and way less organic than I would like. Also the glow and alpha on the material I know I need to mess with more to get the right amount of visible and transparent areas.

Does anyone have any tips on going about this. There was a file posted on C4D Cafe in march that looks awesome to deconstruct, but it is no longer there. Any help or ideas would be sweet

Thanks for your time!

Guest Sao_Bento

Hello there I am trying to simulate light streaks, as if trailing car tail lights shot at a slow shutter speed. I have watch tuts on the COW (sssshhh!) and checked out C4D cafe. However there is something I am not getting. The result is too much looking like a sweep nurb and way less organic than I would like. Also the glow and alpha on the material I know I need to mess with more to get the right amount of visible and transparent areas.

Does anyone have any tips on going about this. There was a file posted on C4D Cafe in march that looks awesome to deconstruct, but it is no longer there. Any help or ideas would be sweet

Thanks for your time!

Better to do the glow in post. If your looking at Mylenium's Cow tutorial on the ipod spot, you already know 99% of what you need to know. Spend some time studying long exposure photos of traffic and think about what makes the image look that way (if you already haven't). University City Long Exposure

Generally, you get the solid looking parts by the buildup of semi transparent parts. IMHO, I've found that the source needs to be much more transparent that you would think. You also need some subtle falloff on the edges, which you could do with the materials Alpha or transparency channels.

Also, be aware that you could probably save a lot of time by doing this in AE using Particular 2.0.

Also, be aware that you could probably save a lot of time by doing this in AE using Particular 2.0.

At least with particular - you can add some subtle turbulence to make it look a bit less like a tube and more organic with slight movements.

If you need the light to interact with the 3D object, you might try using what you have in C4d, putting a compositing tag on the moving light streak to track particular to in AE, and rendering out a separate pass so you can apply the light effect on the object back in AE.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Eman

At least with particular - you can add some subtle turbulence to make it look a bit less like a tube and more organic with slight movements.

If you need the light to interact with the 3D object, you might try using what you have in C4d, putting a compositing tag on the moving light streak to track particular to in AE, and rendering out a separate pass so you can apply the light effect on the object back in AE.

Hope that helps.

Also, Particular 2.0 has the new streaklet particle, better path oversampling and 32 bit support, making it a pretty good choice for this kind of thing.

Thanks for all the responses! I was thinking originally about just using the path and compositing tag in C4D to link to particular 2. The client asked me to try first in C4D and I am going to try to work it out there first, but if it takes much longer switch to AE and particular. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Hey edrhine, I thought I'd finally got this fixed the other day, wispy dynamic trails with particles and tracer, all straight out of C4D - preview here - the problem was that as the path crossed some important axis that I never figured what was, it flips the sweep and you get this ugly kink in the path, and nothing I tried could get rid of it. Here's a slow-mo demo of the problem.

It's usable for small streaks that move fairly quickly, but for slow, graceful moves it's just too flawed to be considered. I've grabbed the demo of particular2 to see how their streaklet compares, it's OK but there's not as much control as I'd like, especially in how the streak decays. With the C4D setup you've got the full TP arsenal to throw at those trails --- if only I could be rid of those damn notches I'd be set.

edit - oops, forgot the file, it's here

So - good luck! C

Edited by ChrisC