Sign in to follow this  
leahzero

Female motion designers?

I think a possible reason that there seem to be more men has to do with the fact that women tend to want social lives. Working 13 hours a day just isn't conducive to my real life. A culture of workaholics has been created in this industry and many women don't relate to that. We're too busy getting our nails done.

plus we live in a society that expects women to be the caretakers when a child must be looked after and all that.

tangentially, i think i'd have fun as a stay at home dad working from home remotely. isn't that scottfrizzle's deal? scott?

I have a feeling the female designers are just as awkward as the dude's in this field....

I'm the weirdest person I know, but I'm also wildly popular. I have no idea how that happened.

I contacted quite a few designers from links posted here and got a ton of favorable responses. Michelle Higa (Mixtape Club) even sent me her own list of links. Awesome.

Just sent out the interview questionnaire. Can't wait to hear back. I'll be sure to post here once I start publishing the responses.

Thanks again for all the links and leads, everyone.

You know, I'd definitely noticed it in the 3D post-production area but hadn't thought about it as much in broadcast design.

Although I know quite a few female broadcast designers I'd say an overwhelming majority of them are 30-35+.

And although I went to a multidisciplinary course with a fairly even gender split, the gender ratio of those who went into mograph/postproduction is probably 4:1 (loose figures, it'd be interesting to know what the real numbers are).

It'd be really interesting to find out what reasons you can come up with the disparity, I'm not sure why our industry would self-select males like the 3D industry instead of having a more even split like web/print, but obviously it happens.

Guest Sao_Bento

We've got a rockstar lady here in PHX - I say rockstar cause she literally rocks the drums, guitar and mic on top of her serious motion chops. Her names is Nikki Petta and her reel can be found here -

http://www.i-design-motion.com/NikiPetta-CPDVideoGallery8_09/MAIN.html

Great stuff there.

Some of the things I remember from when I was first getting started was that LeConte Goldman was one of the powerhouse design firms (two women) who did all the A&E / History Channel / etc., the design boutique era was just beginning with many female owned studios like "Nice Shoes" and "Bee hive" or something like that. There was a woman from Turner who was always clocking major awards at the BDA conferences. In St. Louis, two of the three network TV stations graphics dept.s were run by women. My first staff broadcast design job ended up being me and three women. The ABC affiliate I worked for had a 50% female graphics dept. I've definitely worked with some absolutely top notch female designers throughout my career - maybe I'm just lucky.