Sign in to follow this  
Kastro

Best way to mask person

Hello all,

I have a scene in which I need to mask out my actor so that I can have object pass behind him. Now I know I could roto it, but its a shitload of frames and I know there has to be a "faster" way. I dont mind rotoing some.. :)

Currently I stabilized my scene in AFX and then moved the anchor point to a null, parented a cam to the null, then smoothed the null which was based on a method I had seen once before. Anyhow, the actor is coming towards the camera and I want things to happen behind him so I thought, maaaaaybe I could outline him and then track it? I may be asking for a miracle tool, but I know there has to be a better way than trace,fwd 1 frame,trace,fwd 1 frame,trace etc. Unfortunately I dont have a clean plate since there is camera movement so I cant "compare" and then track the differences (if THAT is even possible)

thanks ahead of time..

I would suggest Imagineer's Mocha or Motor of Combustion, in that order to do what you need. All of these programs allow you to create a spline mask and track it too the footage. There is a script a aescripts.com that works for AE, but it is not really the best solution... more of a work around, but free! Let me know if you have any specific questions about this and I will do my best to help out.

its really more like draw mask, fwd 10 frames, adjust mask, fwd 10 frames, adjust mask, etc ad naseum. then go back and adjust the points and smooth it out where needed. if you go frame by frame by frame you'll get a lot of crawling.

ive tried the free aescript and have gotten mixed results. if youve stabilised the footage couldnt you try your compare theory?

You could also duplicate your footage, boost the levels to make it high contrast black and white, then try to pull a luma matte from the footage. Add a matte choker to clean it up by 1 or 2 pixels then voila. This only works if your background footage is light.

Otherwise you can try pulling multiple keys from your character and add some simple masks to bring back the detail.

Guest Sao_Bento

Or you can take the long way around and have this thought out in pre production rather than post production, which would allow you to shoot greenscreen in the first place.

Or you can take the long way around and have this thought out in pre production rather than post production, which would allow you to shoot greenscreen in the first place.

Amen.

render the video to frames, divide the frames up amongst a group of like minded and experienced friends, have an all night masking/rotoscoping party, recompile the frames to your project.

this is what we used to do...many many years ago before we knew any better.

Guest Sao_Bento

render the video to frames, divide the frames up amongst a group of like minded and experienced friends, have an all night masking/rotoscoping party, recompile the frames to your project.

this is what we used to do...many many years ago before we knew any better.

Farm it out.

www.lazymovie.com

Agreed.. The issue is that it was shot during dry run time to get a feel of how it would go and now we cant acquire the location anymore, so i'm dealing with what I have.. We are going to shoot it somewhere else once we figure out where. I'm still in the early stages of mograph/compositing and would like to figure it out in case i end up in this situation sometime in the future. Thanks for the responses, i guess i'll just have to deal w/ roto'n.. time to take a trip a for some drinks.. :D

Thanks again all..

roto'ing is not as bad as some people think, going frame by frame. Basically just think like an animator, break the person up into multiple parts, (legs, head, torso, forearms, hands). Have multiple roto shapes and keyframe them on the extreme poses. Shouldn't be too bad for someone walking toward camera.

Just be happy there's no hair or trees in the shot.

Farm it out.

www.lazymovie.com

Interesting... It's like www.misterclipping.com for video....

Unlike misterclipping, they don't have their prices upfront. So I can keep this service in the back of my mind for when needed, can you provide some insight as to how much they charge (assuming you have delt with them before)?

Guest Sao_Bento

No, sorry

wasn't trying to be a dooche!

the roto tools in after effects are one of its weakest features. even shake has better splines. there are myriad programs out there that put it to shame in terms of roto

There are definitely better tools, but this sounds like a pretty simple job. It's not even a whole guy, just the parts where the thing goes behind him. I'd say AE could handle that.

No, sorry

wasn't trying to be a dooche!

the roto tools in after effects are one of its weakest features. even shake has better splines. there are myriad programs out there that put it to shame in terms of roto

dooche? you win the internet!