Sign in to follow this  
xsid

maya or cinema4D

Working in maya for about 1 year now. I really loved the motion graphic style and realised tht maya is not build for it. just downloaded the demo of cinema4d and looks like these guys really foucued on Motion Graphics.

is it a nice idea to switch now to Cinema or stick with the beast? can any body tell me the integration btw realflow and cinema4d is good or not?

C4D and Realflow do integrate well. Try to use it for a couple projects, check out all the free tuts at C4D cafe to get you started, and if you start to really like it, check out cineversity for some more advanced tuts.

i just started using C4D about a week or two ago and lurve it. i used maya for a 3d class (about 6 or 7 years ago) needed for prerequisites and didn't care for it too much. i feel that c4d is more of an artsy tool. easy enough for simple minded artist like myself!

I've also been trying to move over to Cinema more from Maya. Maya still has many uses of course, but I definitely like the mograph/type ease and UI of Cinema whenever I can use it for a project.

I also just wanted to say how funny I thought this post was from a user named 'xsid'

Edited by planetfour

i just started using C4D about a week or two ago and lurve it. i used maya for a 3d class (about 6 or 7 years ago) needed for prerequisites and didn't care for it too much. i feel that c4d is more of an artsy tool. easy enough for simple minded artist like myself!

Not so sure, if you want to get complex animations still is difficult, like Xpresso for example,than you do need to subscribe to Cineversity or C4D Cafe to get the most of it.

If you want to do MG work than go for C4D,Max,LW or EIAS (of course you could use Blender) but if you need some SFX than XSI or Maya is the way to go IMOP. For the money i will think about it.

Maya 3.5K XSI 3K C4D Studio Bundle 3.5K, is pretty hard , but these is good for the user more opportunity at a cheaper cost.

There is a discussion about CA in the Maxon forum on CGtalk, pointless IMOP but never the less interesting.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=793049

Edgard

ok. i have decided . from now on i will try to learn c4d. as maya is too hard for me. tht modelling stuff is not my type. too defficult. try to learn to rig in c4d too.

and the first problem is how can i take my file from c4d to AE cs4? is it stupid to ask? can any body else find it funny?

ok. i have decided . from now on i will try to learn c4d. as maya is too hard for me. tht modelling stuff is not my type. too defficult. try to learn to rig in c4d too.

and the first problem is how can i take my file from c4d to AE cs4? is it stupid to ask? can any body else find it funny?

You'll need to find the cinema4dae.aex plugin, (just do a search for that on your computer) and put it in your AE plugins and restart AE. Then in your render settings, find the compositing project file section and save your project file with 3D data checked. You'll output an .aec file and you can import that into after effects. That will take care of the Camera, lights, and anything with an external composting tag. Check this out for a step-by-step:

http://www.mach3studio.net/blog/?p=84

If you need separate "layers" look into multi-pass rendering, or you can just do it manually by turning objects on and off and rendering separately with alpha (handy sometimes as it allows you to move stuff around in AE).

Also, if you end up with a long render on your hands, C4D's net render is pretty easy to set up if you have extra machines.

Guest Sao_Bento

You would really think that Maxon would integrate the AE plug-in with their installer - it would make life so much easier for new customers.

You would really think that Maxon would integrate the AE plug-in with their installer - it would make life so much easier for new customers.

True, they are trying to focus the attention into every single aspect of 3d and that is just not possible. I think they have to focus onto what is their strongest asset and exposed those features to the public. Cant believe that i didnt get with the AE plug in with my Studio Bundle.

They are heavy on Matte Painting and Motion Design with Thinking Particles and Mograph alone you could do some fast animations with no scripting. Simple.

Hope they learned from Autodesk and focus a bit more on its strengths.

Edgard

strange things happen.

a guy come to me today.. wana learn any 3d application. now its hard decision now as i am trying to learn c4d but having an exp. in maya. and he has paid me like Rs. 7000 about $116 US just. now thinking what should i do? learn c4d everyday and teach him or teach maya as i am doing it for 1 year now.

God help me.

and Edgard thanks man, it really helps. tell me one thing. i didn't get a proper installation of c4d v 10. i just get it in folder form. like the portable versions. is it like so?

they include every intra-app plugin you'd ever need in the Cinema4D install, inside a folder called "Exchange Plugins"

granted, you still need to move the AE exchange plug into your AE plugins folder, but I'd rather not have any app installing things in other apps directories anyway

Edited by mikeh64

strange things happen.

a guy come to me today.. wana learn any 3d application. now its hard decision now as i am trying to learn c4d but having an exp. in maya. and he has paid me like Rs. 7000 about $116 US just. now thinking what should i do? learn c4d everyday and teach him or teach maya as i am doing it for 1 year now.

God help me.

and Edgard thanks man, it really helps. tell me one thing. i didn't get a proper installation of c4d v 10. i just get it in folder form. like the portable versions. is it like so?

Just go this page http://www.maxon.net/downloads/updates-co/updates/plugins.html

download the AE plug in and drop it into your plug ins folder inside AE and done.