Sign in to follow this  
digitalkiwi

my reel ready for some contructive critisim

Hey all,

I have just uploaded my 1st cut of my reel to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6MGMN9BVZ8

I would love to hear some comments on what you think, I have never had to rely on a reel before because my clients know what I can do. Because I am looking at moving overseas and starting fresh with little or no contacts "to Australia" I thought I had better put one together.

All comments welcome both positive and constructive, any tips on starting off in Australia welcome also.

Regards,

The DigitalKiwi

Agreed.

Absolutely too long. Re-cut it with just the best stuff, to 1/2 or 1/3 of its current length and you'll really have a nice selection. Also, know when enough is enough in terms of how much we need to see of a given project. Most of your cuts drag on past the "ok, I get it" point. This goes for your intro as well, in the sense that we don't need to see all of the letters treated the same way before you show us the whole word. The point isn't for us to guess the word. This isn't a spelling bee. So what you're doing amounts to taking your idea or your animation and banging us over the head with it, repeatedly saying "you see this? you get it? see what i did there?" It gets old. The intro animation is quite nice, otherwise.

You're showing us a lot of nice stuff, but also showing us really irrelevant stuff. Don't show us something you wiped on and threw shine over. Don't show us something you rotated and then make us sit and watch it subsequently do nothing for 2sec. Don't show us mediocre footage you shot, or mediocre footage someone else shot that you typed words over.

Edit yourself (put your best foot forward and chop off the other foot). Keep the energy up. Don't be precious about the way you treat your old projects in this new thing that incorporates them. And don't belabor the point. You can easily make a reel twice as good as this. Go rock it!

You did work on British Gas? In what respect? I'm intrigued.

To that: put up a website. potential employers (especially overseas) are not going to be happy with the total lack of detail that a youtube link provides. it's also important for professionalism's sake.

British Gas = I did the Grand Designs awards and show content, the major sponsor was British Gas - I had to build the 3d Universe in 2.5d to replicate the TV adverts and insert this in the show opening video, also used for sponsor loop on 50" plasmas at the venue here in London.

The original British Gas stuff was done by www.hornetinc.com - Director: Guilherme Marcondes

Re: the website - its on the way, I'm fussing too much as usual. YouTube was only used as a tool to get some feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.