Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

Combustion 3 announced

Guest Sao_Bento

In the article linked to below, all the Discreet guy talks about is G5 this and G5 that, but the system requirements only mention PCs. The guy even says that they're directly competing against AE and FCP, yet the discreet website has no mention of a mac version.

Oh well, I guess everyone who's owned a previous version will be happy to learn that they were unknowingly runnining it on a supercomputer (because the guy keeps talking about how they're now ready to bring combustion to desktop computers).

http://www.uemedia.com/CPC/article_11623.shtml

Guest firemind

I'm surprised Jack Pfeiffer hasn't spammed every forum with combustion 3 links yet :P

Ah, love this quote as well: "One of the reasons is because the animators hate having to go out and book time in an editing suite with an editor when they just need to clip stuff together. So now they can do all that work themselves."

Yes, animators ofcourse wouldn't have editing applications on their lowly PCs. :roll:

Guest jasfish

i see the mac version won't even be available until early next year.

i've been thinking of learning combustion just to have an alternative to after effects, but AE's upgrade was killer, combustion's seems so-so. plus, the wait for mac guys.

jasfish

Guest igorschmigor

i think you're unfair. "clip stuff together" on a desktop computer!!! that's the ultimate slogan. I can't wait to see it. That's so great! Unbelievable. Is it freeware? :lol:

alright, their marketing for the new version is not so great. But i wonder, is there anyone here who has been using both, AE and combustion and can compare the two? I am an AE user and had a demo-version of combustion. I followed a few tutorials and i liked the interface and stuff. But my experience was too short to really be able to compare the two.

Guest Scorch

I too am an AE user wondering whether it's worth learning Combustion. Is there anyone out there who can compare them? My main problem with AE lately is the speed of it....

Guest firemind

Well, Combustion's main advantage is the interface/workflow which is uncluttered and more 'artist' focussed. It's a bit slower with caching than AE (tho reportedly this is faster in version 3), but renders faster. The tracking, CC, matting, etc. is also a little more robust.

If it's speed you want, then a node-based app like Digital Fusion, Shake (if you're on a mac or running linux), etc. will give you that. It's a whole new way of working though, if you come from a layer-based app like AE.

Guest Sao_Bento

The part I don't get is why they keep saying that they're "moving combustion to the desktop". It's been running on Macs and PCs since discreet bought it from denim software 5 versions ago. Is "desktop" a industry codeword for DV? Is discreet trying not to taint their black box reputation by being associated with the commoners?

It looks like a nice app, I just don't get what they're trying to say with this "desktop" crap.