Sign in to follow this  
levante

Poll: What AE Version do you use mostly?

Hi everybody,

because i´ve been having loads of trouble with AE CS4 lately (and am now back in CS3), i would be interested in how many of you actually use CS4 for everyday work. Also i realized that non of the agencys that use CS4 seems to be using the new PAR settings but instead stick to the old values. Thats why i´m interested in your opinion about this as well.

Thanks for voting and greetings.

Levante

I assume that my vote doesn't really count, but I'm happy with After Effects CS4.

If you are having problems with the new pixel aspect ratios, I'd be curious to know exactly what problems you're having after you've followed the instructions and guidelines in this section of After Effects Help (and the resources that it links to): "Upgrade pixel aspect ratios to correct values"

Just got CS4 this week.... A little late, I know - but here, an upgrade cannot be justified until we continually receive assets from vendors we cannot open due to versioning :(

A few things threw me way off - like the throwing effect which had to be turned off immediately of course. But there are nice surprises here and there... like a preview of the clone stamp tool in photoshop. I haven't worked with it enough to make worthwhile comments.

Edited by AromaKat

I assume that my vote doesn't really count, but I'm happy with After Effects CS4.

If you are having problems with the new pixel aspect ratios, I'd be curious to know exactly what problems you're having after you've followed the instructions and guidelines in this section of After Effects Help (and the resources that it links to): "Upgrade pixel aspect ratios to correct values"

We will count it as half a vote, hows that? :) the biggest issues we run into is AE CS4 is always giving the warning, needs 2 or more frames for play back(but the play head is at the beginning of the comp), then you have to go an purge all and it builds the ram preview. Seems like the Ram Preview are shorter then CS3 and i have a much faster machine then when i was working in cs3, a duel quad 2.7 with 16G of Ram.

Also there is a bug if you hit return on a comp to rename it and the text is highlighted if you click, hold and drag the comp over to your desktop AE will crash every time. I can't send an error report because our machines are kept on an island separate from any sort of external network. I took me a while to figure out what was happening because i would do it on accident with the pen in my hand as i was typing the new text. *Also when this happens the recent items looses the last 5 or so projects you had been in.

Also render multiple Frames option is pretty useless, we have noticed missing frames in a final render where the source QT Movie for a render is on an external drive...fiber connected...turn off that option and everything renders smooth with no missing frames, just slower. Not to mention it deactivates with half of the standard AE plug ins.

Edited by RustyAce

Hi Todd,

it´s not that i´m having problems with the new aspect ratios, i just don´t use them because none of my customers and co-workers does. If one guy inside a bigger workgroup uses different PAR settings it can lead to errors and confusion - so as long as no one demands me to use the new ones i´ll stick to the old ones, just for simplicitys sake.

Edited by levante

Seems like the Ram Preview are shorter then CS3...

Have you upgraded to After Effects 9.0.2?

Also render multiple Frames option is pretty useless, we have noticed missing frames in a final render where the source QT Movie for a render is on an external drive...fiber connected...turn off that option and everything renders smooth with no missing frames, just slower. Not to mention it deactivates with half of the standard AE plug ins.

If by "half" you mean "seven"...

"When After Effects temporarily disables multiprocessing with Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously"

:P

Regarding missing frames, it would be useful if you'd send bug reports. You can send bug reports to aebugs at adobe dot com.

Have you upgraded to After Effects 9.0.2?

If by "half" you mean "seven"...

"When After Effects temporarily disables multiprocessing with Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously"

:P

Regarding missing frames, it would be useful if you'd send bug reports. You can send bug reports to aebugs at adobe dot com.

fair enough, i'm on 9.0.1.51, i'll have to get the IT guys to push the update to our island. "and some third party effects" cc is a included 3rd party plugin so it counts as standard...so there are more then seven :) .

side not i do like PS CS4 - BUT GIVE BACK MY MAKE PDF OPTIONS i just tried to do this and that option is gone...I DON'T WANT TO USE BRIDGE

thanks

side not i do like PS CS4 - BUT GIVE BACK MY MAKE PDF OPTIONS i just tried to do this and that option is gone...I DON'T WANT TO USE BRIDGE

I second that. I was shocked when I saw this. Using bridge may be more robust, but its a pain in the ass when trying to pump projects out. I make PDF previews every day, and would like to do it right within photoshop.

At least give us a 'send to bridge for export' or something like that, because now I have to save out the file, import, arrange, blah blah blah.

I second that. I was shocked when I saw this. Using bridge may be more robust, but its a pain in the ass when trying to pump projects out. I make PDF previews every day, and would like to do it right within photoshop.

At least give us a 'send to bridge for export' or something like that, because now I have to save out the file, import, arrange, blah blah blah.

not to mention the make pdf with open Photoshop files

Ok, now I am starting to get pissed off. I have been trying to make a simple multi-page PDF for 5 minutes now - which is ridiculous. WTF is it not letting me arrange the order of pages? WTF is the quality shit? Who the hell needs this magnifying glass thing?

GIVE US BACK PDF EXPORT WITHIN PHOTOSHOP NOW!!!!

and if it helps get it done faster,

please :-)

GIVE US BACK PDF EXPORT WITHIN PHOTOSHOP NOW!!!!

Is there a Photoshop person from Adobe on this forum that I somehow missed? I'm just an After Effects guy. Well, mostly.

Here's a link to the feature-request and bug-report form. That's actually a pretty direct line to the relevant people for any Adobe software, even After Effects.

The thing that annoys me the most about CS4 AE is that multiprocessing is instantly disabled when lens blur is applied.

This never use to happen in CS3. I would have thought with the recent update it would have been fixed.

so....will this issue be addressed sometime in the near future? I hope so.

Is there a Photoshop person from Adobe on this forum that I somehow missed? I'm just an After Effects guy. Well, mostly.

Here's a link to the feature-request and bug-report form. That's actually a pretty direct line to the relevant people for any Adobe software, even After Effects.

Thank you for the link

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

GIVE BACK PDF EXPORT WITHIN PHOTOSHOP NOW!!!!

I want it to work exactly the way it did that last 4 versions that I worked in.

I don't want to leave photoshop and go to bridge (which i NEVER USE) except now to make PDFs

I've stuck with CS3 mainly due to cost, as Adobe's UK pricing policy is nothing short of immoral. I'll skip CS4 if I can and go for the next one and hopefully save a few quid.

I did a poll like this a few months back, still lots of mographers using CS3. I have to say, I'm surprised... I know it's expensive to upgrade a bunch of workstations, but if you work with other studios, at some point everyone has to upgrade to share files.

Nice to see that After Effects CS4 on the mac still cannot recognise DVCPRO files captured in Onlocation. Why is there still no fix for this? I spent the best part of 6 months convincing our management to switch to mac, only for us to buy one (to test) with a fresh copy of CS4 with all updates and realise that we couldn't actually edit any of the footage we had been capturing in the studio for the last 2 years.

This was a problem in CS3 but you would think they would have sorted it by now especially with Onlocation now being MAC native.

Its like Sony releasing a game that won't actually run on any of their consoles!

Edited by Nerra

RAM Management in CS4 for Mac seems to be completely off. As soon as i activate "Render Multiple Frames" it starts to eat up all my RAM even though I set it to only use four or even two CPUs and leave 4 Gig of memory for other apps. Whole Machine grinds to a halt as soon as the RAM is full - sometimes i can´t even crash quit AE and have to reset the whole box. That´s on an 8-core with 14 Gigs RAM. Makes MP rendering completely useless to me.

Funny that a full Version of AE needs less RAM than a background render process. And even though a 32 bit process usually can only use 3 Gigs, two AEselflinks are able to eat up the whole 14 Gigs! In fact there is a root process named "launchd" that usually only uses 568,00 KB memory. Now if i start a render with MP on, that process starts to suck up all RAM that is left over by the AEselflinks until - see above.

Edited by levante

Nice to see that After Effects CS4 on the mac still cannot recognise DVCPRO files captured in Onlocation. Why is there still no fix for this? I spent the best part of 6 months convincing our management to switch to mac, only for us to buy one (to test) with a fresh copy of CS4 with all updates and realise that we couldn't actually edit any of the footage we had been capturing in the studio for the last 2 years.

This was a problem in CS3 but you would think they would have sorted it by now especially with Onlocation now being MAC native.

Its like Sony releasing a game that won't actually run on any of their consoles!

actually AEcs4 can use dvcpro files, we use them all the time. you just need to install the DVCPRO codec (which i think you have to buy final cut pro to get)

Graymachine I remember reading your thread when we did our test but it didn't seem to work with CS4 at the time. Have you got it working on CS4?

Rusty, does the dvcpro codec come as a separate install to FCP because I heard that this might work but even after installing FCP they still didn't work. Bear in mind these are AVI's captured using onlocation.