Sign in to follow this  
AromaKat

10.5.8 Update Royally Screwed Me

I just installed CS4 last week, and haven't really restarted my machine much since. During this whole new installation process, I figured it would be a good time to also do the software update to get that little application to stop bugging me. Since I was on 10.5.6, and have heard 10.5.7 has been tested and fire-tested, I decided to go ahead and perform the update.

The first restart after performing this update was fine. I worked all day and left my machine rendering over the weekend. When I arrived on Monday, no application would open, and applications that had been open were dropping like flies. Figured it may need a good restart after the weekend rendering, but it completely froze when I tried. I hard-shut it down, and now when it restarts, it does not get beyond the blue screen between the grey screen with the apple logo and the login window. The hard drive crunches for a bit, with no results. I waited an hour on this screen to see if the issue would resolve itself, with no luck. I am able to boot into safe mode, which is odd. Figuring that it was something to do with an auto-loading application, I uninstalled my wacom driver, blackmagic driver, flip4mac, OnyX, etc - which didn't help.

When I looked at the system info, I noticed that the system had upgraded to 10.5.8!! WTF... I thought I was updating to .7. Now I cannot "roll back" and do not know what else I can do, other than wiping the machine and starting over... FCP... CS4... Blackmagic, etc.

Anyone know what may be going on and how I could fix this issue without re-installing the OS?

Since I am able to boot into safe mode, I was able to check/repair permissions using disk utility and all appears to be well - but I still cannot boot into normal mode.

Hey AromaKat - you're not using an NEC monitor are you? There's an issue with mine which holds it at blue screen after booting, sounds like it might be something similar to yours; the mac has in fact booted fine but the screen doesn't accept the signal for some reason. Try turning the monitor off, rebooting and only turn it on again after the HD has stopped making any noise (ie after you're normal boot time) - see if that helps.

Yeah when working on PSCS4 There is a Magenta redraw effect when expanding the window, i had to reinstalled again everything from scratch. You only have to upgrade when you need to, i wonder how SnowLeopard could have an effect on GPU since i am getting a horrible banding in my AECS4 i have tried to solve it with a working space of 16-32bit,with no go. Lucky i get my renders in 16bit mode with no banding,but i cant render my animations in 8bit.

Edgard

Guest Sao_Bento

This probably isn't of much help, but with Snow Leopard scheduled for release, possibly on Aug 28, I would expect that Adobe might have some corresponding updates to drop. Hopefully you can make it until then.

So I gave up and decided just to start fresh..

I popped in the OS X install disk and chose to archive my docs, but was surprised to find all accounts, applications, and files still intact. Even the desktop... I was under the impression that it would have just placed all of the files in \documents, etc into a large folder on the root drive.

Now everything works and is even updated to 10.5.8 with no issues.

Weird, but I will take it. :D

Ok - so just for the record in case its searched for later -

restarted in safe mode, used the disc to uninstall everything, downloaded latest software packages from blackmagic design's website (required a firmware update to the descklink card), and all is well now.

Bottom line - if you purchase or have a decklink hd extreme card, and run 10.5.8 - don't use the install disc that comes with it. (probably updated software included with newer products, but mine is only 3 months old)