Sign in to follow this  
scott_sp

Particular 2.0 Split Clip-Loop troubles

Gang,

Am using Particular 2.0 and getting some odd results I've never seen before with Particular.

I'm using 4 x 5-second clips in a 20 second precomp. Each source clip is a perfect loop and the clips in the precomp are butted up against each other with no overlap. This precomp is used in the Main Comp as layer texture for particles set to sprite. I've got Number of Clips set to 4 with Time Sampling set to Split Clip-Loop. The source clips, Precomp, and Main comp are all 30 fps.

For some reason I'm getting a little blip when the particles loop... it's as if a random frame is popping in for one frame, then the loop continues as it should. I've done this several times with earlier versions and never had this strangeness.

Has anyone else run into this with Split Clip loops in 2.0, and more importantly, were you able to figure out a fix?

Fingers crossed,

Scott

Had this exact problem last week and never figured it out. It's definitely not framerate related, from my experimenting. Ended up just using split clip stretch. Would love to know the answer too.

Shit... was really praying it was just user error.

I've ended up just looping my 4 clips to make an obscenely long precomp and then using Split Clip-Play Once.

Weak. Bug report time I spose.

Really diggin the new shading and random rotation features though.

To fix (most) popping in Random Loop mode make sure your referenced clip begins long before the timeline begins and that it extends through the main timeline.

Then adjust any animation in referenced clip to match current time...This seems to help...

So, I think there's a bit of a math error in Particular (even in Particular 3). Even when all the clips in your main clip are exactly the same length and the exact same framerate, I've discovered that there are still blips. Turns out that if you have a clips that are 5 seconds long, for example, to produce clean cuts for each clip in a group of particles, there needs to be some lead time after your video is over. One frame per clip, to be precise. I had to deal with a video file comprised of 74 5-second clips and have no blips in any of them after I did this:

Create a composition that's the length of all the clips together.
Make all the clips short by one frame (0:00;00 to 0;04;29, so the next one starts at 0;05;00).
Arrange the of the clips (using the Sequence Layers in AE, for example) so that they follow one after the other.
Then, add to the composition in frames the number of clips you have to the END of the video. You can make it black video, blank, some other randomness, doesn't matter.

So, for 74 150-frame clips (five-second clips in 30fps) video, I created a composition that was 11100 frames long (06;10;10)
Made each clip 149 frames long,
Arranged the clips sequentially,
Then added 74 frames of nothing to the end (making the comp 11174 frames, or 06;12;14)

The garbage frames at the end aren't shown, and all the clips should run normally.

I'm posting this for others who may have issues with this (including me in the future). I'm sure the OP probably figured it out by now (it has been almost 10 years).