Sign in to follow this  
RustyAce

Snow leopard

Thanks! I just wondering about that this morning. Didn't see plug-ins or Cinema mentioned... but I'm sure we'll hear about it from peoples on here eventually. I'm usually a wait-until -.1- kind-of-guy, but I'm ready for things to be faster, like now.

going downhill . . .

“Mac OS X Snow Leopard leaked box is real. And painful to watch. What happened to 8 years of great packaging design? Are ideas running so low in Cupertino that they have grabbed an cat from a clip art package?”

http://gizmodo.com/5344205/8-years-of-great-mac-os-x-box-design-end-in-a-stupid-clip-art-cat

I hear the next version they're going to scrap the typeface and use papyrus...

"Mac OS X Snow Leopard leaked box is real. And painful to watch. What happened to 8 years of great packaging design? Are ideas running so low in Cupertino that they have grabbed an cat from a clip art package?"

http://gizmodo.com/5...id-clip-art-cat

This image on that page cracked me up

340x.jpg

Edited by AromaKat

Ooh, I see a Quicktime X thread coming, considering that Quicktime gets kinda crippled in that first release and 'pro' may be going away. Or does mograph have that thread already and I missed it?

It might be my snobbish Euro-designer sentiment, but this is waaaay better than the crappy X on a starry background. It's far from special, but better than some abstract 2001-meets-Bryce-inspired design.

I think you have to come to peace with the fact that Apple has been catering more and more to the consumer, who probably doesn't understand a big X anyway. Apart from the fact that a proper picture (albeit clipart) with some type on it looks almost always better in this segment.

I think this will sell like hotcakes, because it has 'personality'

Don't laugh.

Besides, and this is the big point, who calls the OS 'OSX' anyways?

Ask your average mac user what he or she is running. The anwser won't be "I'm running 10.5.3.234"

1st rule of design: you are not the target demographic.

going downhill . . .

“Mac OS X Snow Leopard leaked box is real. And painful to watch. What happened to 8 years of great packaging design? Are ideas running so low in Cupertino that they have grabbed an cat from a clip art package?”

http://gizmodo.com/5344205/8-years-of-great-mac-os-x-box-design-end-in-a-stupid-clip-art-cat

Blame the iPhone.

It is a dot upgrade come on. What about Avatar using papyrus for god sakes!

Ah! You said it. Papyrus. What the effin' eff?

On topic: maybe the fact that it's a mysterious and fiercely elusive animal that is virtually never filmed means that 10.6 is...lost my train of thought...whoever captured that picture is definitely happy it's being used for Apple's boxes though. Cha ching!

I've always been a fan of the idea of periodic software updates based on improving performance and efficiency versus adding slick new features. Therefore, I like the direction Apple seems to have taken with Snow Leopard. Unfortunately I'm the world's biggest skeptic about any new performance enhancing technology that requires developers to do even a slight amount of work in order to take advantage of the new capabilities. It's nice that Apple's apps have been re-written to take advantage of Grand Central/ Open CL, but I'm not expecting a performance revolution any time soon from 3rd party developers.

Guest Sao_Bento

I've always been a fan of the idea of periodic software updates based on improving performance and efficiency versus adding slick new features. Therefore, I like the direction Apple seems to have taken with Snow Leopard. Unfortunately I'm the world's biggest skeptic about any new performance enhancing technology that requires developers to do even a slight amount of work in order to take advantage of the new capabilities. It's nice that Apple's apps have been re-written to take advantage of Grand Central/ Open CL, but I'm not expecting a performance revolution any time soon from 3rd party developers.

I know you're not dissing Altivec . . .

On a side note, Leopard's default background was virtually the same as their box art...so are we going to have a giant Snow Leopard staring at us when we get this thing started for the first time?

I just want to be prepared, ya know?

On a side note, Leopard's default background was virtually the same as their box art...so are we going to have a giant Snow Leopard staring at us when we get this thing started for the first time?

I just want to be prepared, ya know?

Yes, but I hear you'll be able to pet it using multi-touch.

I was reading some conflicting information about the 64bit kernel vs 32bit one and basically this article seemed to clear a few things up.

http://www.macworld.com/article/142379/2009/08/snow_leopard_64_bit.html

FYI, to boot into the true 64bit kernel you can hold down "6" and "4" at startup but based on the macworld article probably shouldn't need to unless you need more than 32 GB of Ram. And in some cases things like Parallels may not work in the 64bit kernel anyway:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090826074252596

I have not tried Snow Leopard, but this article (review) states that QuickTime X has lost all the cool editing and export options.

I'll stick to Leopard for now, until maybe Adobe moves to 64bit.

read the bottom the PRO version is a separate install now

So got the upgrade today...been staring at the box for a few hours. Hope others "test drive" it first :D

Just a little quickie, the upgrade is $25 at Best Buy....and it's actually retail.

Edited by hyp3

Guest dumbo

So got the upgrade today...been staring at the box for a few hours. Hope others "test drive" it first :D

Just a little quickie, the upgrade is $25 at Best Buy....and it's actually retail.

installing now on my macbook pro. will let you know how it goes...