Sign in to follow this  
RustyAce

Snow leopard

Hey Dumbo, you can install it fresh if you want...*cough* Just hold C during bootup to go to the setup menu *cough*

Gonna install it on my MBP too (but not the Mac Pro, just to play it safe).

I think the reason Apple is giving away this OS so cheap is because they want everyone (yes, even tiger users can buy this and install it) to move over so developers can rewrite the apps.

Very excited about 64bit Adobe and pro Apple apps!

Guest dumbo

all installed.

3 major things i've noticed so far.

quicktime can't export to all the formats it used to

screenshot20090829at800.png

and screen grab images are now time stamped eg. Screen shot 2009-08-29 at 8.00.35 PM.png

quicktime video screen recording is very impressive.

otherwise little bits of cool things everywhere.

Guest Sao_Bento

upgrading to the latest safari seem to fix the problems ppl have been having with this site.

Same here

Thanks for the tip, will do. So, with the new gamma... does it fix the h264 gamma shift issue? Can I just render to regular h264 rather than x264 or changing the settings within the file? (Waiting for apple to ship it)

I guess it breaks the ever-lovin' bat crap out of XDCAM EX software (and SxS cards in a MacBookPro ExpressCard slot). Footage can be ingested by USB but I guess the Sony utilities (and XDCAM disc support) aren't compatible.

Cf

Installed a clean Snow Leopard today. So far the only issue is that the Wacom drivers have a gotcha I discovered. If you change the settings in the Preference Pane, you need to close the pane and re-open it in order to retain those settings after a restart. Apparently this might be just happening to clean installs not system upgrades.

Just so you know...

Edited by kitkats

Installed a clean Snow Leopard today. So far the only issue is that the Wacom drivers have a gotcha I discovered. If you change the settings in the Preference Pane, you need to close the pane and re-open it in order to retain those settings after a restart. Apparently this might be just happening to clean installs not system upgrades.

Just so you know...

I just installed, intuous on mac pro was fine on an upgrade from leopard but had to reinstall graphire 4 drivers on macbook pro on upgrade from tiger (I was lazy on leopard).

The biggest thing for me is time machine finally managed a full backup on my external HD! YES!

Guest Sao_Bento

I've installed on a couple of machines, and everything is going well so far. C4D seems quite a bit snappier. The only thing I don't like is that you can't just drag a frame from a QT movie into a photoshop doc anymore. Ugh.

I guess it breaks the ever-lovin' bat crap out of XDCAM EX software (and SxS cards in a MacBookPro ExpressCard slot). Footage can be ingested by USB but I guess the Sony utilities (and XDCAM disc support) aren't compatible.

Cf

Is this from experience or do you have a link to something about it? Hopefully Sony will update the Transfer Utility with a fix. I'm assuming you can still drag the BPAV folders off the SxS cards but it sounds like you can't transcode to QuickTime files. Is that right? That is the primary purpose of my MBP and I was hoping to upgrade soon since it's only $30.

Note that QuickTime 7.x that's included in the SL disc is the last one that will ever work on SL. If you try to download the newer 7.x update off Apple's site, it will not install.

I think QuickTime X is just a 1.0 app now, since it was re-written from the ground up. I'm pretty sure by version 2.0 we'll get to see preferences, new export options, etc.

I've installed on a couple of machines, and everything is going well so far. C4D seems quite a bit snappier. The only thing I don't like is that you can't just drag a frame from a QT movie into a photoshop doc anymore. Ugh.

Can you at least Copy>Paste a frame from a QT movie to Photoshop??

Guest Sao_Bento

Can you at least Copy>Paste a frame from a QT movie to Photoshop??

Nope. Stuck with saving frames from AE or your NLE at this point. Alternately, you can import the video into PSCS4 and get a frame that way, I guess.

Nope. Stuck with saving frames from AE or your NLE at this point. Alternately, you can import the video into PSCS4 and get a frame that way, I guess.

Can you export the frame from the menu as a PICT? That's the way I've always done it in the past. That would be dumb if that was gone.

Guest Sao_Bento

Can you export the frame from the menu as a PICT? That's the way I've always done it in the past. That would be dumb if that was gone.

Nope, the only export options are video formats now.

Anyone had any issues with helvetica neue freaking out? It's shot to the bottom of font lists in illustrator etc and is acting quite weird (like dropping punctuation marks here and there on export to pdf. I read something about conflicting versions? odd